Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Understanding the phone as a Digital Key

10-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
richardvinger
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

Understanding the phone as a Digital Key

Great joining you all on this forum! I took delivery of my G20/330i this morning. It's been a joy so far, but I'm struggling to understand how to use my phone as a Digital Key. Wondering what your experiences are:
  1. Officially, the Digital Key on phones is only supported on certain Samsung devices, which is close to outrageous. Has anyone succeeded in making other Android devices work as a Digital Key?
  2. When I try adding a Digital Key, iDrive tells me to put my phone on the wireless charging pad. When I do that (a Pixel 3), nothing happens for about a minute, and a "transmission error" or something similar appears. Instead, I would have expected an error like "unsupported device", rather than the system timing out. Has anyone seen other, more appropriate errors?
  3. Let's say we follow the supported route and use a Samsung device. Will that device require the Connected Drive app to be installed in order to be used as a Digital Key?

I'll continue tinkering, but hopefully your experiences will be helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
They key is stored on a secure element, which only can be found at certain phones. Samsung happens to have a couple that support this..

I expect the CD app is required to write the digital key on the secure element.
      10-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
My Samsung doesn't work since I am on Verizon. Note 9
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardvinger View Post
Great joining you all on this forum! I took delivery of my G20/330i this morning. It's been a joy so far, but I'm struggling to understand how to use my phone as a Digital Key. Wondering what your experiences are:
  1. Officially, the Digital Key on phones is only supported on certain Samsung devices, which is close to outrageous. Has anyone succeeded in making other Android devices work as a Digital Key?
  2. When I try adding a Digital Key, iDrive tells me to put my phone on the wireless charging pad. When I do that (a Pixel 3), nothing happens for about a minute, and a "transmission error" or something similar appears. Instead, I would have expected an error like "unsupported device", rather than the system timing out. Has anyone seen other, more appropriate errors?
  3. Let's say we follow the supported route and use a Samsung device. Will that device require the Connected Drive app to be installed in order to be used as a Digital Key?

Yes, CD app needs to be installed and a digital key is sent by BMW and stored securely on the device.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardvinger View Post

richardvinger ,
Well, I have a Samsung S8 and have finally got it to work as a digital key on my M340.

I tried what the owner's manual lays out, as well as the "Quick Start Guide" that's up on the BMW USA owner's page -- all to no avail.

I had to go to my dealer for something else. While there, I asked their "Genius" and she took me over to my Service Advisor, who found an instruction from BMW and using my regular key fob did something on their end (all in the BMW USA database) that really enabled my phone.

I now can unlock my car by placing my phone next to the driver's door handle "hot spot" and operate the car with my phone in the wireless charger.

BTW, I do have the BMW Connected App on my phone and it now show my phone with a digital key; the App is actually useful with the new iDrives (as opposed to neqar useless on my F30)

So my advice is to go to a BMW dealer get them to enable your phone as a digital key at their end.

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
richardvinger ,
Well, I have a Samsung S8 and have finally got it to work as a digital key on my M340.

I tried what the owner's manual lays out, as well as the "Quick Start Guide" that's up on the BMW USA owner's page -- all to no avail.

I had to go to my dealer for something else. While there, I asked their "Genius" and she took me over to my Service Advisor, who found an instruction from BMW and using my regular key fob did something on their end (all in the BMW USA database) that really enabled my phone.

I now can unlock my car by placing my phone next to the driver's door handle "hot spot" and operate the car with my phone in the wireless charger.

BTW, I do have the BMW Connected App on my phone and it now show my phone with a digital key; the App is actually useful with the new iDrives (as opposed to neqar useless on my F30)

So my advice is to go to a BMW dealer get them to enable your phone as a digital key at their end.

Hope that helps!
It only works for Samsung phones and i think only S8, 9, 10 and Note 9, 10.
Not pixel or other Androids
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #7
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Here it's explained in detail:

And here you can see how to share it:

The reason why it doesn't work with any cat is because it needs a special NFC feature to be supported. Check these forums, since that has been addressed before elsewhere.

Last edited by eddiehaug; 10-09-2019 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0