Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BIK rates for 2020 onwards on 330e M Sport - anyone else hacked off?

10-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

BIK rates for 2020 onwards on 330e M Sport - anyone else hacked off?

OK, so this is really hacking me off. Plenty of us new 330e drivers are probably company car drivers, and the tax advantages of the new model are part of choosing the car.

BUT, the government have significantly disadvantaged 330e M Sport users with its new twin track BIK published rates for 2020/21 to 2022/23, until one set of rates become applicable.

For 2020/21, 330e M Sports registered before April 2020 attract a 12% BIK rate, and it stays at 12% through to 2022/23 (thats as far as the government have published).

However, despite the new 330e already having its emissions and electric range rated to the new WLTP standards now (rather than the old NDEC measurements), if a driver chooses to register AN IDENTICAL 330e M Sport after April 2020, the BIK is 2% lower in 2020/21, 1% lower in 2021/22 and then matches the 12% rate in 2022/23.

Surely if a vehicle registered BEFORE April 2020 has the emissions and electric range the same as a car registered AFTER April 2020 when measured by the same WLTP standard, why should the driver be penalised by having a BIK charge at a higher rate. Why can’t the BIK rate for each tax year be applied based on the current standards for that year, rather than being crystallised on the registration date?

Essentially, BMW (and those of us that choose 330e models) are penalised for releasing a vehicle that achieves the lower rates earlier than when it really matters.

Clearly doing your bit for the environment by choosing a low emission PHEV is deemed so important that we’re taxed more for making that choice earlier!!!!!!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
      10-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Whilst I appreciate your frustration I am just happy it is 12% and I am looking forward to April next year. Already my monthly tax has decreased since collecting the car last month after changing from my hybrid Mercedes..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
paulf
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport 2020

Makes little sense to me either Pete. My company car is due for replacement 16th March (they are often early) and I dont think I have a great deal of control over that date. Coming from a 420d, I could be a couple of hundred quid a month better off @12%, so still a massive improvement. But I share your annoyance...
      10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Whilst I appreciate your frustration I am just happy it is 12% and I am looking forward to April next year. Already my monthly tax has decreased since collecting the car last month after changing from my hybrid Mercedes..
Me too - I’m on a C220d Merc currently. Due to collect my 330e on 13th December. On a 40% tax rate this is going to save a LOT of tax!
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #5
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e - incoming, 1989 E30 316i

I was under the impression that the 330E came in at 8% for next 3 years. Reading here and other posts appears there is a difference between models?

Its very difficult to get definitive answers anywhere on line - my company car scheme quoted me the 8% and my m sport is delivered next Tuesday - there is a risk this will cost me 50 quid a month more if its on the 12%!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #6
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacow View Post
I was under the impression that the 330E came in at 8% for next 3 years. Reading here and other posts appears there is a difference between models?

Its very difficult to get definitive answers anywhere on line - my company car scheme quoted me the 8% and my m sport is delivered next Tuesday - there is a risk this will cost me 50 quid a month more if its on the 12%!!!
Only se model falls into the 8% category
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:19 AM   #7
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
thanks for that - is this documented anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thanks for that - is this documented anywhere?
Yes but I can't find where I read it, I believe it is that the se has smaller wheels which afford it a further 4 miles on electric only (41), this pushes it down into the 8%
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #9
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes but I can't find where I read it, I believe it is that the se has smaller wheels which afford it a further 4 miles on electric only (41), this pushes it down into the 8%
that makes sense - really hard to find info though and dealers and BMW website contradicting each other on places :-) i may kick up a stink at the relevant time based on what I have from the company car scheme but still excited to get the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #10
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that makes sense - really hard to find info though and dealers and BMW website contradicting each other on places :-) i may kick up a stink at the relevant time based on what I have from the company car scheme but still excited to get the car!
This is the new rates
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is the new rates
yeah but finding something that gives you the correct range and then by model is impossible!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #12
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

i think something happened over the summer as all press before August was quoting up to 37 miles range and then from August up to 41 and dealers and lease companies start bandying the 8% around - BMW website has both depending where you look and no where have apart from posts on here is anything about different range between the models!

Its all a bit of a fog :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is the new rates
yeah but finding something that gives you the correct range and then by model is impossible!!
Agreed, I can't find it at the moment. I'll see if I can stumble across it later on
Appreciate 1
seacow11.50
      10-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

i believe the power output of the batteries has been improved a bit very recently. I'm sure I read something about it accommodating certain options without it having a massive detrimental impact on the power output. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Appreciate 1
seacow11.50
      11-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #15
nevd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Seems really odd to me that there isn't an official table somewhere that HMRC reference. A dealer has told me that a 330e M Sport is 41 miles range and that putting 19 inch alloys on pushes it down. Either as the option or with the M Sport Plus.
But for BIK it's going to come down to what HMRC want to apply. At the moment I can't find that info anywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:57 AM   #16
Alex L
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Hi, I've just stumbled across this thread after doing some further searching from a thread started on Pistonheads.

I've got a 330e M Sport company car which was delivered in December 2019 and I'm confused as to the correct level of BIK. From what I've read it's option dependant as to the electric range and mine being fairly devoid of options means it has a range of 66km (41 miles) according to the Certificate of Conformity that BMW have sent me.

Does this mean mine should be in the 8% bracket or does this only apply to cars registered in April 2020?

This is the response from our in-house tax accountants when I quizzed them.

“There are new emission standards that were introduced from 6 April 2020 (WLTP), and these apply to cars registered on or after 6 April 2020. As the new rules, all cars registered on or before 5 April 2020, will have emission standards as per old rules (NEDC) – more details here

I had a look at the legislation and it clarifies that for the purpose of determining the car’s CO2 emissions figure in a case where the car is first registered before 6 April 2020 WLTP vehicles test procedures values specified in the EC certificate of conformity should be ignored.

The CO2 figures are provided by Alphabet, and if you believe these should be updated we may need to check with them if the above applies in your case.”

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #17
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post
OK, so this is really hacking me off. Plenty of us new 330e drivers are probably company car drivers, and the tax advantages of the new model are part of choosing the car.

BUT, the government have significantly disadvantaged 330e M Sport users with its new twin track BIK published rates for 2020/21 to 2022/23, until one set of rates become applicable.

For 2020/21, 330e M Sports registered before April 2020 attract a 12% BIK rate, and it stays at 12% through to 2022/23 (thats as far as the government have published).

However, despite the new 330e already having its emissions and electric range rated to the new WLTP standards now (rather than the old NDEC measurements), if a driver chooses to register AN IDENTICAL 330e M Sport after April 2020, the BIK is 2% lower in 2020/21, 1% lower in 2021/22 and then matches the 12% rate in 2022/23.

Surely if a vehicle registered BEFORE April 2020 has the emissions and electric range the same as a car registered AFTER April 2020 when measured by the same WLTP standard, why should the driver be penalised by having a BIK charge at a higher rate. Why can’t the BIK rate for each tax year be applied based on the current standards for that year, rather than being crystallised on the registration date?

Essentially, BMW (and those of us that choose 330e models) are penalised for releasing a vehicle that achieves the lower rates earlier than when it really matters.

Clearly doing your bit for the environment by choosing a low emission PHEV is deemed so important that we’re taxed more for making that choice earlier!!!!!!
Did you not see this below from another poster? Get a certificate from BMW and send it to the tax man.

330e M Sport 2019 8% BIK
So heres my experience. 330e Msport Registered October 2019 . No added options running on 18" wheels with a list price of £39075

Cars registered pre April 6th 2020 use NEDC data not WLTP.

I obtained the CoC certificate of conformity for my vehicle by e mailing a request to eccoc@bmw.co.uk . Following an e mail exchange and the requirement to fill in a form and prove ownership i had the CoC in hand within 5 days via e mail.

The Certificate states that the electric range for my vehicle is 66km ( 41 miles )

HMRC clearly state here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/company-...480-appendix-2 that a car with a 41 mile electric range and a 37g/km emissions figure should be 8% BIK.

So provided you supply the correct data to HMRC there should be no ambiguity. In the main the difficulties people are experiencing are a result of varying electric mile range advice online , and no clear published figures per car model.

Thats not surprising. Its impossible to publish a catch all BIK figure as adding additional weight via options and varying specification on your order form can result in a changed BIK.

Elsewhere i have read incorrectly that an SE model with smaller wheels is the only car which falls within the 8% bracket. That is not the case.

That said if you add say the plus pack to the vehicle which gives 19 inch wheels and perhaps adds weight , you MAY find that the certificate of conformity for your vehicle puts the electric only range down to below 66km which would place it in the 12% bracket.

Every car is different and the CoC is issued based on chassis number.

Request yours and look up the table then you will know for sure. BMW issued the CoC free of charge. It is worthwile doing this. If your car falls into 8% territory you save 1/3rd. on my specific vehicle this means £104 per month deduction at the wageslip instead of £156 if it had been 12% BIK.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #18
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I found it frustrating when I was looking at this back in July last year. I was promised 8% BIK by lease company and also supplying dealer in writing. I was suspicious and called HMRC they didnt know anything about the range and BIK link even when I pointed them to their own web page. I was told to wait for the budget and HMRC statements in April!!

I had mine registered in March before lockdown and glad I did.

I discovered some of my collleagues were encouraged to register earlier if car landed from factory so that they could get 8% BIK and not the higher BIK in April. I had prepared myself for higher BIK so its swings and roundabouts here. I am sure when I change next time I will be clobbered by the tax man for keeping my car too long (4 year lease planned).
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:13 AM   #19
Alex L
Rep

Thanks for the replies, I'm hearing conflicting views from our tax people and Alphabet so have passed it back to them.

ShereKhan, good colour combo of Portimao and Cognac - that's the same as mine.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 04:49 AM   #20
Codez
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e MSport Sunset Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'm hearing conflicting views from our tax people and Alphabet so have passed it back to them.

ShereKhan, good colour combo of Portimao and Cognac - that's the same as mine.
Hi Alex, can you get a copy of the V5? With Lex Autolease it's available from the driver portal. If you can get that just email BMW yourself and get your Certificate of Conformity for your car (CoC) See the other thread as per earlier comment.

Your tax ultimately has nothing to do with your lease company. The arrangement is between you and the HMRC, with the employer sometimes getting in the way with duff information. Once you have the certificate ring the tax office and get them to change. They are perfectly decent to deal with over the phone if you have all the facts, I got mine sorted as soon as I got my CoC.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:52 AM   #21
Alex L
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codez View Post
Hi Alex, can you get a copy of the V5? With Lex Autolease it's available from the driver portal. If you can get that just email BMW yourself and get your Certificate of Conformity for your car (CoC) See the other thread as per earlier comment.

Your tax ultimately has nothing to do with your lease company. The arrangement is between you and the HMRC, with the employer sometimes getting in the way with duff information. Once you have the certificate ring the tax office and get them to change. They are perfectly decent to deal with over the phone if you have all the facts, I got mine sorted as soon as I got my CoC.
Thanks, I've got the CoC and will deal direct with HMRC. I only involved Alphabet and our internal tax people as there's a load of other employees with 330e M Sport cars in the same situation as me who are potentially being over taxed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I guess the other side of the frustrated coin is those that dont have co cars now and see these cars flying past in the fast lane, electric motor doing sod all, emissions through the roof - but the driver still only paying 12% or whatever BIK

If you are really frustrated you could give it back and buy your own?
Appreciate 0