Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B58 M340i burning oil

03-05-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

B58 M340i burning oil

Looking for some help. My car has begun burning oil at odd times. It is not constant but will randomly burn oil even at idle. Typically it happens while driving and at partial throttle. I recently upgraded to a DAW hybrid turbo. I am scratching my head because the turbo is completely dry. The only oil I have seen was inside of the stock inlet hose where the baffles and holes are at.

I just installed both upper and lower catch cans. Brand new lower PCV valve. I had a broken lower PCV fitting, the hose was just hanging there. I was hoping that was it and installed the catch cans hoping that would fix the issue. Then I thought it was the turbo and upon inspection I have ruled that out. The down pipe was also completely dry with no signs of an oil leak. I am new to BMWs/B58, hoping you all could point me in the right direction. Not sure what to do next, thanks for any help you can give.

Dinan Intake, AA DP, BM3 w/custom tune,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

how do you know it's burning oil at idle? (curious)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 03:49 PM   #3
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
how do you know it's burning oil at idle? (curious)
Because I can see and smell the smoke.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:38 PM   #4
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

from the exhaust?

you know it gives out water vapour which is also white?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:43 PM   #5
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
from the exhaust?

you know it gives out water vapour which is also white?
Yeah, water doesn't smell like burning oil.

Have you ever confused burning oil from water or coolant being vaperized? Are you suggesting a blown head gasket? Wouldn't my car be overheating? Wouldn't I be low on coolant? Wouldn't it be constant?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:52 PM   #6
Shadowfantasy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M440i 2022

Garage List
2022 bmw M440i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S M340i View Post
Looking for some help. My car has begun burning oil at odd times. It is not constant but will randomly burn oil even at idle. Typically it happens while driving and at partial throttle. I recently upgraded to a DAW hybrid turbo. I am scratching my head because the turbo is completely dry. The only oil I have seen was inside of the stock inlet hose where the baffles and holes are at.

I just installed both upper and lower catch cans. Brand new lower PCV valve. I had a broken lower PCV fitting, the hose was just hanging there. I was hoping that was it and installed the catch cans hoping that would fix the issue. Then I thought it was the turbo and upon inspection I have ruled that out. The down pipe was also completely dry with no signs of an oil leak. I am new to BMWs/B58, hoping you all could point me in the right direction. Not sure what to do next, thanks for any help you can give.

Dinan Intake, AA DP, BM3 w/custom tune,
I am facing the same issue as you. I have installed Daw Ultra Flow R and since then, I have noticed some light condensation-like smoke, I am unsure if it is due to meth injection or if my car is burning oil.
Have you been able to determine the root of the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:18 PM   #7
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfantasy View Post
I am facing the same issue as you. I have installed Daw Ultra Flow R and since then, I have noticed some light condensation-like smoke, I am unsure if it is due to meth injection or if my car is burning oil.
Have you been able to determine the root of the problem?
Mine is definitely more drastic then yours but I was able to speak to a tech from a dealership and he said they do a bunch of valve covers because the gen 2 has an integrated pcv in the valve cover. He recommended that I still do a compression check and leakdown if waranted. But he is 90% sure it is probable the V cover.

I ordered one and new injector seals. Hopefully the parts come in soon and I can do it ASAP. Also, the car does not smoke if I drive it in comfort mode. Keeping the car out of boost and in low loads. Leading me even more to the fact that it is the VC. Best of luck, I'll PM you with what I find out.

Last edited by Peter S M340i; 03-17-2024 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 10:22 AM   #8
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep

Update:

I pinned the intake ports and replaced my valve cover and it still smoked. Initially my DAW turbo was completely dry. After it smoked again, I removed the turbo immediately to go back to stock. Upon a closer look and because it was removed even after just driving it. I could see the oil behind the turbine. My issue the whole time was the turbo. TBH after all of this I recommend driving the car till it smokes. Go back home immediately and remove the turbo to see if you can see the oil like mine.

As you can see in the early pics the oil had dried up. And those were taken with my cell phone in between the DP and the exhaust housing. The pic where you can see the oil is with the turbo completely out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 12:54 PM   #9
Shadowfantasy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M440i 2022

Garage List
2022 bmw M440i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S M340i View Post
Update:

I pinned the intake ports and replaced my valve cover and it still smoked. Initially my DAW turbo was completely dry. After it smoked again, I removed the turbo immediately to go back to stock. Upon a closer look and because it was removed even after just driving it. I could see the oil behind the turbine. My issue the whole time was the turbo. TBH after all of this I recommend driving the car till it smokes. Go back home immediately and remove the turbo to see if you can see the oil like mine.

As you can see in the early pics the oil had dried up. And those were taken with my cell phone inbetween the DP and the exhaust housing. The pic where you can see the oil is with the turbo completely out.
Damn, I expected the turbo to be more reliable. How severe was the oil consumption?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #10
Peter S M340i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfantasy View Post
Damn, I expected the turbo to be more reliable. How severe was the oil consumption?
Oil consuption was not that bad but I was doing everything to keep it out of boost. I was the third owner and it was the first version. I'm going to get the new center section and should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #11
Heck1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Garage List
Dam, I have the stock turbo still with the same issue. Random smoking in traffic/light throttle applications. I inspected it and found only a light film of oil in the intake (normal). I plan on going the same route and doing head port pins and a dual catch can setup, but you are making me second guess myself now.

Even though it wasn't the valve cover for you, Its still a smart move to do the head port pins to prevent the dreaded pcv failures like the gen 1 cars had.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:58 AM   #12
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heck1 View Post
Dam, I have the stock turbo still with the same issue. Random smoking in traffic/light throttle applications. I inspected it and found only a light film of oil in the intake (normal). I plan on going the same route and doing head port pins and a dual catch can setup, but you are making me second guess myself now.

Even though it wasn't the valve cover for you, Its still a smart move to do the head port pins to prevent the dreaded pcv failures like the gen 1 cars had.
Did you check the oil filter housing?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:12 PM   #13
Heck1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Did you check the oil filter housing?
Sure did, its dry. I did spot a coolant leak forming from the turbo feed line also unfortunately, but this is unrelated to oil consumption/smoke.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 07:00 PM   #14
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heck1 View Post
Sure did, its dry. I did spot a coolant leak forming from the turbo feed line also unfortunately, but this is unrelated to oil consumption/smoke.
Good luck with it keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:20 PM   #15
Fahad0161
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Hey man! How did you get on with this? I'm currently experiencing the sameee issue!
Appreciate 0