Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Stage 2 Tune

10-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Did everyone here who went with Mission actually get their spark plugs re-gapped?
i had mine regapped and suprisingly i could notice a difference (didn't think i'd be able to feel a difference with a regapped plug but i did)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #24
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
i had mine regapped and suprisingly i could notice a difference (didn't think i'd be able to feel a difference with a regapped plug but i did)
Not many shops around here I trust to do it. It runs well without it though?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #25
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not many shops around here I trust to do it. It runs well without it though?
oh for sure fine without doing it / you can also purchase them direct from MP if you want / I'm just fortunate to be close to MP so when Alex installed my catted DP he took my stock
plugs out - regapped them - and put them back in :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #26
Pskinner21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i. 2020 SQ8

It’s very easy to access the plugs....if you can turn a wrench you swap the plugs easily. Coming from Subaru boxer 4 cylinder engine, doing the plugs on this car is a breeeeeeeeeeze!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #27
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Did everyone here who went with Mission actually get their spark plugs re-gapped?
I just bought new plugs from MP because that is what they recommended. It wasn’t expensive for the plugs and the labor I paid wasn’t much either so I figured why not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #28
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pskinner21 View Post
It’s very easy to access the plugs....if you can turn a wrench you swap the plugs easily. Coming from Subaru boxer 4 cylinder engine, doing the plugs on this car is a breeeeeeeeeeze!
Nice. I was going to check out location and difficulty level when my car arrives so good to know it’s an easy swap. May also just wait to see how it performs without changing gap.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
BLG19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E82 135i

Quote:
no it just means you need to send your dme in to have it unlocked / the tunes are all built it's just getting the computer unlocked to allow for a flash is what presents the challenge on the later cars

ps- i posted a little DIY on dme removal - it is right under the hood and maybe a 5 minute job with no tools :-) super easy
I plan on giving Alex a call here in the next few months, as I'm still breaking my car in... but does anyone know if the new MY21's with the M48V electric starter/generater has any effect on the MP tune? Does it complicate the tune or is it irrelevant?

I'm in VA and will have to send my DME in, but small price to pay for to unlock this cars potential..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #30
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLG19 View Post
I plan on giving Alex a call here in the next few months, as I'm still breaking my car in... but does anyone know if the new MY21's with the M48V electric starter/generater has any effect on the MP tune? Does it complicate the tune or is it irrelevant?

I'm in VA and will have to send my DME in, but small price to pay for to unlock this cars potential..
I have 21 model and just went to see Alex today to have the ECU unlocked. The 2021 models have a locked ECU that Alex hasn’t been able to unlock yet but it’s currently in progress. Had my ECU been manufactured a week earlier, I wouldn’t have had this “new feature” guess no tuning 21 models anytime soon
Appreciate 1
BLG199.00
      10-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #31
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
I have 21 model and just went to see Alex today to have the ECU unlocked. The 2021 models have a locked ECU that Alex hasn’t been able to unlock yet but it’s currently in progress. Had my ECU been manufactured a week earlier, I wouldn’t have had this “new feature” guess no tuning 21 models anytime soon
Well that’s disappointing to hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #32
BLG19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E82 135i

Quote:
Quote:

I have 21 model and just went to see Alex today to have the ECU unlocked. The 2021 models have a locked ECU that Alex hasn't been able to unlock yet but it's currently in progress. Had my ECU been manufactured a week earlier, I wouldn't have had this "new feature" guess no tuning 21 models anytime soon
Keep us posted... you can let him know there is a few others that will follow suit once he figures it out. Curious if the tune will require all new coding or if unlocking the ECU is the only difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #33
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 21 model and just went to see Alex today to have the ECU unlocked. The 2021 models have a locked ECU that Alex hasn't been able to unlock yet but it's currently in progress. Had my ECU been manufactured a week earlier, I wouldn't have had this "new feature" guess no tuning 21 models anytime soon
Keep us posted... you can let him know there is a few others that will follow suit once he figures it out. Curious if the tune will require all new coding or if unlocking the ECU is the only difference.
Yeah I posted about this in another thread, basically there is no way into the ecu for model year 21 cars as of yet. There will be I imagine but it will be a little while the tuner that referenced seemed to think it was going to be a pretty big issue and to have patience.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #34
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Such a bummer...the power is glorious - but rest assured Alex will be the first to unlock the new ECU he has traditionally been the first to unlock BMW ECUs for years now. It will be worth the wait - and I'm guessing it wont' be long. We will see - waiting for feedback from the first flashed "21

Last edited by chenry; 10-24-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0