Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Replacing head units on g20

10-30-2020, 01:55 AM   #1
juanmad
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Replacing head units on g20

Any idea if it would be possible to take a head unit "basic media2" and replace it with the "head unit high 3"? That's how bmw calls them. Essentially switching to a MGU head unit. Depreciating the coding that would be needed, as a first I'd like to know if there are some sort of adapters for the harness wiring. I am researching this on a g20 but most people just don't want to give information and they are located across the world.

I would argue that this is what had to be done by this guy in order to upgrade a g30 from iD6 to iD7. He just shows what he did but like most cool upgrades they don't talk about nor show much how I they actually did it.. I contacted him and said it was possible but didn't say a word when I asked him how because I don't want to pay for something that it wasn't possible on the first place even if he said so.

The big harness one is basic media2 and the smaller is head unit high, also any idea what are all those connections? most colored connection match except for the green one on high 3, any idea what could it be?

On the other hand, there is also this guy that retrofitted a digital cluster on a g20 without one. I tried to contact him but got not reply whatsoever. And I don't speak his language so don't understand a sh!t of what he is saying and also no captions unfortunately. In summary, I think people are starting doing these upgrades already but just not posting anywhere nor telling anyone how to do it.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
juanmad
Private
Rep

Basic media2 and head unit high 3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:01 AM   #3
juanmad
Private
Rep

I tried to find a harness on ebay for high 3 but didn't find anything, perhaps I din't use the proper words to refer to that part specifically and would appreciate some help. Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I'm sure it's possible. But it might end up being expensive and need a lot of coding.
Funny enough, all these retrofits and codings are done in asian countries because they don't get the same options as we do in NA/Europe. And a lot of them pay car shops to do it since labour is comparatively cheap. So what happens is, the owner doesn't know how to do it per se since he paid someone else, and that someone else won't tell you how to do it since they want people to pay them to do it. If you do find out how it's done, a tutorial/video will be very helpful to the others.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I'm sure it's possible. But it might end up being expensive and need a lot of coding.
Funny enough, all these retrofits and codings are done in asian countries because they don't get the same options as we do in NA/Europe. And a lot of them pay car shops to do it since labour is comparatively cheap. So what happens is, the owner doesn't know how to do it per se since he paid someone else, and that someone else won't tell you how to do it since they want people to pay them to do it. If you do find out how it's done, a tutorial/video will be very helpful to the others.
Retrofitting in general is pretty easy to do with esys, reasonable learning curve but there's enough information out there.

However, the id6->id7 is more complicated than most due to the number of ecus effected.

It's not just the head unit, but the centre display, Audio module, booster and sometimes body domain controller. In the uk, expect it to cost 2000-3000 to have this done, at which point it's probably not much different in price to just get a new car !
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      10-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmad;26856429[B
]I tried to find a harness on ebay for high 3 but didn't find anything[/B], perhaps I din't use the proper words to refer to that part specifically and would appreciate some help. Cheers!!
You will not find a harness yet for this retrofit as there is no retrofit for it. This is a custom job.

- You need to create your own harnesses, at least three of them - Quadralock (media 2 main connector) to main connector (high 3), ethernet harness (high 3) which your car does not have, and RAM harness/speakers.
- High 3 requires a RAM module in the trunk as there are no tuners in the High 3 -tuners are in the RAM.
- Speakers are powered by the RAM + High 3. The Media 2 HU power the speakers directly (via Quadralock). There is no RAM in your car.

So the video of the iDrive 6 to 7 is missing all the custom work behind this retrofit, that is perhaps the reason they will not answer your questions.

My suggestion is to investigate the possibility of flashing a Media 2 HU with iDrive 7 (or maybe you will only need a more recent version of a Media 2 HU with native iDrive 7), and look for what is needed to retrofit the digital display. That would be much simpler and cheaper than going full High 3.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST1857 Infotainment 2018.pdf (2.95 MB, 301 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post

My suggestion is to investigate the possibility of flashing a Media 2 HU with iDrive 7 (or maybe you will only need a more recent version of a Media 2 HU with native iDrive 7), and look for what is needed to retrofit the digital display. That would be much simpler and cheaper than going full High 3.
That's actually a great idea, haven't thought about it, supposedly g20s will come with iD7 from july 2020 but I just haven't seen a base g20 with iD7 yet.

PD: I am from one of those countries that don't get everything that's why I need to pretty much do retrofitting, otherwise I would just buy it and avoid all this trouble.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
juanmad
Private
Rep

I think this is what I should aim for, it looks like its iDrive 7. I am also wondering if they already support android auto on live cockpit plus..

That cluster looks uglier to me than previous analog one

Even worst on a 5 series LOL, you should not get this ugly cluster, what did you do bmw, previous one was way better looking than this analog/digital/hybrid thing

Last edited by juanmad; 10-30-2020 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
juanmad
Private
Rep

imagine getting a 5 series with a cluster looking like this, I would be mad..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #10
juanmad
Private
Rep

this g20's are now being sold on the us too so I am wondering what head unit they are using, whether they the same head units as before but now with iDrive 7 instead..

https://www.bramanmotorsbmw.com/new/...39f749d343.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #11
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post

Indeed, where can I find this type of manuals? I am really curious to read one that's for 2021 basic media2 and basic with gps2 head unit, which is what my car has, I would really appreciate if you could guide me to find more manuals like this one. Cheers!!
Appreciate 0