Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications First impression on the JB+ on my M340i

10-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #23
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
It would be nice to see a real independent dyno and compare with those results.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a tune in the near future for my M340. I read a lot about the different types of tunes on here and I feel like a few people have mentioned the JB tune products don't have the same results as say a flash tune on the newer G series platform as the ECU is too complex for the piggyback system the JB utilizes.

Is there any truth to that? I also question the power gains the JB +/4 would have in regards to the newer software versions in our cars, as even flash tuners are still unable to crack the ECU's
I did hear (you might have as well) that 2021 M340i's hasn't been cracked yet. Therefore Mission Performance cannot do a flash on those just yet.

But JB+ is only sending out altered altitude signal, making the turbo believe that its at a higher altitude than what it really is and boost a bit higher. Therefore, higher boost, a modest 3 or 4 psi at that and that does add some quick HP and TQ (sorry i am pretty sure you know this)

So JB+ isn't cracking anything, just intercepts and alters the signal and therefore I think it surely is working in my car
Makes sense! It seems as the older platforms (E90/F30) were capable of getting more noticeable power with the JB products while the G20 platform seems to have limited that some based off the varying reports on here so who knows.

Once a independent dyno is published w before/after, that will make my decision easier! Don't feel like sending my ECU via mail and going through that so I'm pretty much left w very limited options
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #24
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

I have the JB+ set all the way (4.5psi boost) on 93 octane fuel. The only jerky feeling I ever got was right after cold start if I did not baby the throttle for the first minute of driving. It would buck a little if I gave it mid throttle too quickly. I'm not totally sure it was from the JB+ as I have heard that this trait is common to B58 cars. I just never noticed it before the JB+ was installed. It has also just recently been getting colder here in the PA/MD area. I have noticed some gain in power but sometimes it feels better than other times. It may just be traction control or torque limiting kicking in at times but sometimes I think "Damn, that was quick" and other times I feel like the top end feels about the same. Even if we confirm power gains from a dyno, torque limiting may still keep the car from actually being much quicker. The only way to get around this is from an actual tune where those things can be addressed. Spoofing the Manifold Pressure sensor into thinking there is less pressure can add boost but as soon as the DME senses a torque threshold being broken it can stop the party. That being said, there are some reports of quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times by draggy using the JB4 on Map 3 with an e30 or so mix. If I get around to testing any of this I will be sure to report my findings. I'm pretty sure however that I will ultimately go to a stage 1/2 tune for some real gains. I am used to 500hp cars and even though this car is quite quick with 400hp, I am missing the extra 100 ponies. I will say that I recently added the BMS intake to mine as well and I did not expect to feel a difference as most modern intakes don't do much. I was pleasantly surprised to feel a noticeable difference with this cooler weather, the JB+, and intake on 93 with a couple gallons of e85 mixed in. The intake noises add cool factor and the surge of power with all things combined was noticeably faster. Definitely worth the $400 spent so far for most likely about 50hp and completely reversible in about 15 minutes if going back to the dealer for service or warranty issues.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #25
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Nice writeup. I used a JB+ on my F30 340i for around 2 years and I think it added a good amount of power but I can't get it to go past the 12 o'clock position without it causing shift delays. I think I got a check engine one and it was for an overboost code but I cleared it and haven't had problems since. Also being so easy to install/remove was great whenever I had to get the car serviced.

I haven't tried it with my M340i yet but I might give it a go and see how it does. I went to the drag strip a few weeks ago and my times were around 12.05 @ 113 on the 1/4 mile so if this can push me into the 11s that's be so cool!
Holy cow 12.05 stock is insanely fast. Xdrive? That's faster than a C7 vette, which is damn impressive. Let me know if you install the JB+ and get some times in! looking forward to see if you can get into 11.8-9 range, downright insane
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The "jerkiness" I experienced was because of the sudden boost after turbo lag. It didn't make the car undrivable or anything. Just that, when the turbo spooled, it kicked in much harder than stock. That is all. No transmission or engine issues at all.
Thats reassuring. I am starting to notice even more power as i am driving it more and more. Looks like it is "learning" the signal. It is nice to know that this bit more boost will not hurt the engine / tranny
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #27
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Makes sense! It seems as the older platforms (E90/F30) were capable of getting more noticeable power with the JB products while the G20 platform seems to have limited that some based off the varying reports on here so who knows.

Once a independent dyno is published w before/after, that will make my decision easier! Don't feel like sending my ECU via mail and going through that so I'm pretty much left w very limited options
Yes. Money aside, and I don't want to talk anything bad about re flashing companies such as mission performance, but with this much sophistication in the ECU I am pretty sure that the BMW will know if you reflashed. no matter if you 'revert' it to stock later.

Kind of like popping open a soda can, hard to undo something like that. But I am not an expert... Even if i had a 1000$ in my hand, I am still kind of leery of doing anything to the ecu. Personally, JB4 would be the highest i am willing to go, but most likely just enjoy the JB+

But all in all, I think JB+ is great for the money. Most likely I'll be able to sell it down the road when I am done with it. so for like 50$, I can enjoy 30+ hp/tq for few years safely. I'd say that's a good bargain
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #28
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
I have the JB+ set all the way (4.5psi boost) on 93 octane fuel. The only jerky feeling I ever got was right after cold start if I did not baby the throttle for the first minute of driving. It would buck a little if I gave it mid throttle too quickly. I'm not totally sure it was from the JB+ as I have heard that this trait is common to B58 cars. I just never noticed it before the JB+ was installed. It has also just recently been getting colder here in the PA/MD area. I have noticed some gain in power but sometimes it feels better than other times. It may just be traction control or torque limiting kicking in at times but sometimes I think "Damn, that was quick" and other times I feel like the top end feels about the same. Even if we confirm power gains from a dyno, torque limiting may still keep the car from actually being much quicker. The only way to get around this is from an actual tune where those things can be addressed. Spoofing the Manifold Pressure sensor into thinking there is less pressure can add boost but as soon as the DME senses a torque threshold being broken it can stop the party. That being said, there are some reports of quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times by draggy using the JB4 on Map 3 with an e30 or so mix. If I get around to testing any of this I will be sure to report my findings. I'm pretty sure however that I will ultimately go to a stage 1/2 tune for some real gains. I am used to 500hp cars and even though this car is quite quick with 400hp, I am missing the extra 100 ponies. I will say that I recently added the BMS intake to mine as well and I did not expect to feel a difference as most modern intakes don't do much. I was pleasantly surprised to feel a noticeable difference with this cooler weather, the JB+, and intake on 93 with a couple gallons of e85 mixed in. The intake noises add cool factor and the surge of power with all things combined was noticeably faster. Definitely worth the $400 spent so far for most likely about 50hp and completely reversible in about 15 minutes if going back to the dealer for service or warranty issues.
Thank you for the info. Since cali does not have 93, I probably will stay with just the stock boost level. Or I might go just one more notch up, and make it a 3.5 instead of 3 on the dial knob. Well I guess it will be a touch and go and just have to feel it out. Like you said, JB+ all the way up might be just fine on this B58.

wow 50hp! definitely worth the money. I am just thinking about a dry air filter vs the stock paper filter... what is your thoughts on that? few hp gain, or complete waste of money?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #29
moto111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 mustang

I’ve been debating jb4 but have read multiple polar opposite reviews saying it’s not worth it. Maybe a jb + will be fun not sure . So scared to do anything with a lease
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #30
Duperstar
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30 540

You can buy one used in this forum or on the n54tech forum and try it. If you like it keep it, if not you can sell it for the same price you bought it most of the time.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #31
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Does your transmission shift just as fast? Have you noticed any delays/stutters when shifting through gears ?

Must say this is the most detailed review! Thank you for all the Info .
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #32
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
I’ve been debating jb4 but have read multiple polar opposite reviews saying it’s not worth it. Maybe a jb + will be fun not sure . So scared to do anything with a lease
Right. There are some who said it didn't do anything at all... too bad there are no actual independent dyno done on M340i with it. Might be other dyno results for the older 3's such as f30 or e90 post, but I couldn't find any yet.

So for my experience has been a positive one. I am going to drive it for few more weeks and either do two things: take it off / higher boost. I am sure I'll either see a difference or may be, not.

But really, I do not worry about JB+ for a lease car at all. Its been around a long time and e90 cars had those on. I've never heard of issues coming from JB+ since i've joined bimmerpost, which is around 10 years. Good track record in my opinion.

Its a mild boost increase that will add about 40 hp max, which the B58B30O1 engine can easily hold for a long haul, unless you track it all the time, every time lol...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #33
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duperstar View Post
You can buy one used in this forum or on the n54tech forum and try it. If you like it keep it, if not you can sell it for the same price you bought it most of the time.
That's another good thing. I am positive that i can sell mine for a good price and people will want to buy it. I bought it new but i could probably get 70-80% of it back. I remember the one i bought for my 335i... 125$ used. Had it for two years or so and sold it for 100 within a hour same day lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #34
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfitness20 View Post
Does your transmission shift just as fast? Have you noticed any delays/stutters when shifting through gears ?

Must say this is the most detailed review! Thank you for all the Info .
So far, with the 3'o clock dial, i haven't had any jerkiness. To me it is smooth as the stock. instant shifts up or down. comfort mode is still very soft and smooth. If anything turn up, ill write about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #35
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Can the JB+ be ran with a downpipe ?
Or is it meant for stock vehicles only ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:26 AM   #36
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can the JB+ be ran with a downpipe ?
Or is it meant for stock vehicles only ?
With my knowledge I don't think jb+ needs a down pipe. But in all things, down pipe always improves airflow and therefore it will help extract more hp. Im pretty sure. I just think that it won't be a lot. But jb4 definitely NEEDS a dp, when going to a higher map with higher levels of boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:21 AM   #37
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The price point was making me lean towards the JB+
I currently have a Catted DP.
An extra few ho wouldn't hurt
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #38
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

BMS doesn't suggest DP for any B58 model, the factory DP flows pretty well and if you replace it you'll have odor and warranty problems. Gains with DP maybe 15whp.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #39
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Holy cow 12.05 stock is insanely fast. Xdrive? That's faster than a C7 vette, which is damn impressive. Let me know if you install the JB+ and get some times in! looking forward to see if you can get into 11.8-9 range, downright insane
Yup with xDrive so the launch control worked beautifully ever single time and I was surprised as well even with some regular Pirelli all season runflats.

Here are the slips from my 3 runs. I'm car 8707. For reference car 0377 was my friend in a Kia Stinger GT2 AWD. Hopefully I get a chance to do a a few runs with the JB+ that's been gathering dust in my closet before the winter really kicks in.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi

Last edited by NYC_340i; 10-31-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #40
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

I enjoyed having the JB+ turned all the way up with the bms intake for 1k miles but I just stepped up to a stage 2 tune on e30. Man, what a difference. Don't get me wrong, the old setup was damn quick and more warranty friendly, but other than the remote start not functioning any more (no one has seemed to find a good answer for that), the upsides outweigh the downsides for me. It takes the performance from great to amazing. The JB+ will need a new home. I am used to 500+hp so the stage 2 tune feels just right to me.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #41
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The price point was making me lean towards the JB+
I currently have a Catted DP.
An extra few ho wouldn't hurt
There you go!! It will only help. That will maximize jb+ as it ups the boost
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #42
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
BMS doesn't suggest DP for any B58 model, the factory DP flows pretty well and if you replace it you'll have odor and warranty problems. Gains with DP maybe 15whp.
I figured that as well. Stock is so powerful, they probably figured the dp design pretty well and looked at after market dp for maximizing gains. 15 is substantial, since thats the added hp after the initial jb+ boost on the power.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #43
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Quote:
Yup with xDrive so the launch control worked beautifully ever single time and I was surprised as well even with some regular Pirelli all season runflats.

Here are the slips from my 3 runs. I'm car 8707. For reference car 0377 was my friend in a Kia Stinger GT2 AWD. Hopefully I get a chance to do a a few runs with the JB+ that's been gathering dust in my closet before the winter really kicks in.

Holy cow. Basically a 12 flat. Awesome. I don't think c7s could run a 12 flat. Maybe 12.3 ish. Can't wait till how the jb+ works for you!

As for the stinger, i think RWD is a bit quicker on the 1/4. Though awd might be .1-.2 quicker on the 0-60. Fastest rwd stinger ive seen on the youtube was 12.9, which is phenomenal. Id say the average is around 13.1-13.2. Still a very fast car. I miss it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #44
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
I enjoyed having the JB+ turned all the way up with the bms intake for 1k miles but I just stepped up to a stage 2 tune on e30. Man, what a difference. Don't get me wrong, the old setup was damn quick and more warranty friendly, but other than the remote start not functioning any more (no one has seemed to find a good answer for that), the upsides outweigh the downsides for me. It takes the performance from great to amazing. The JB+ will need a new home. I am used to 500+hp so the stage 2 tune feels just right to me.
Nice. Im sure if you put it on a market, it will be taken quick lol!! I can't even imagine how your car feels, when mine is scary fast already. I wonder with 500 plus hp that you have, what your 60-120 and 1/4 would be. May be a low 11 sec car? 7.5?
Appreciate 0