Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Does Launch Control come standard with the M340i?

05-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Does Launch Control come standard with the M340i?

Is Launch Control standard on all 2020 340i models? Wondering if I have the option, and more importantly... if I do...How do I activate it! -Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
In the F30 it's Sport + mode, press down brake as hard as you can, floor accelerator and a checkered flag will pop up on your gauge cluster. Release brake and hold on for dear life!
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Yes, but apparently there are rules to it

***Update*** - Found it in the user-manual - and YES< Launch control comes on all new M340i's.

***Launch Control***

*Concept*

Launch control enables optimum acceleration on surfaces with good traction under dry surrounding conditions

*General Information*

The use of launch control causes premature component wear since this function represents a very heavy load for the vehicle

Do not use Launch Control during the > break-in period (defined as Up to 1200 miles) for the Engine, transmission, and axle drive; 200 miles for the Tires, 300 miles for the brakes; with same break-in periods for any replaced components (brakes, tires, etc.)

Do not steer the steering wheel when driving off with Launch Control

*Functional requirements*

Launch Control is available when the engine is at operating temperature. The engine is at operating temperature after an uninterrupted trip of at least 6 miles/10 km.

*Start with launch control*

1. Switch on drive-ready state

2. Press the button. TRACTION is displayed in the instrument cluster and the indicator light for DSC OFF lights up.

3. Engage selector lever position S.

4. With the left foot, forcefully press down on the brake.

5. Press and hold down the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position, kick down. A flag symbol is displayed in the instrument cluster.

6. The starting engine speed adjusts. Within 3 seconds, release the break.

*Repeated use during a trip*

After Launch Control has been used, the transmission must cool down for approx. 5 minutes before Launch Control can be used again. Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, when used again.

*After using Launch Control*

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC Dynamic Stability Control again as soon as possible.

___
I have yet to see it on my new M340i, but the story is it does exist - But supposedly, it only becomes available after a certain number of miles on the engine (to ensure the engine is 'broken in'), + certain number of miles driven in that day (to ensure the engine is warmed for the day).

Then, and only then - the feature can be used as outlined above.

I'd love to hear back if this understanding is incorrect.

Last edited by BMW_Midlo_Man; 06-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Added clarifying details on process
Appreciate 5
      06-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

sounds like standard launch control. LC with a AWD is typically very hard on the transmission, especially a torque convertor based auto. The brake torquing generates a lot of heat and, since there's practically no wheelspin, a lot of drivetrain shock too.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Midlo_Man View Post
***Update*** - Found it in the user-manual - and YES< Launch control comes on all new M340i's.

***Launch Control***

*Concept*

Launch control enables optimum acceleration on surfaces with good traction under dry surrounding conditions

*General Information*

The use of launch control causes premature component wear since this function represents a very heavy load for the vehicle

Do not use Launch Control during the > break-in period (defined as Up to 1200 miles) for the Engine, transmission, and axle drive; 200 miles for the Tires, 300 miles for the brakes; with same break-in periods for any replaced components (brakes, tires, etc.)

Do not steer the steering wheel when driving off with Launch Control

*Functional requirements*

Launch Control is available when the engine is at operating temperature. The engine is at operating temperature after an uninterrupted trip of at least 6 miles/10 km.

*Start with launch control*

1. Switch on drive-ready state

2. Press the button. TRACTION is displayed in the instrument cluster and the indicator light for DSC OFF lights up.

3. Engage selector lever position S.

4. With the left foot, forcefully press down on the brake.

5. Press and hold down the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position, kick down. A flag symbol is displayed in the instrument cluster.

6. The starting engine speed adjusts. Within 3 seconds, release the break.

*Repeated use during a trip*

After Launch Control has been used, the transmission must cool down for approx. 5 minutes before Launch Control can be used again. Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, when used again.

*After using Launch Control*

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC Dynamic Stability Control again as soon as possible.

___
I have yet to see it on my new M340i, but the story is it does exist - But supposedly, it only becomes available after a certain number of miles on the engine (to ensure the engine is 'broken in'), + certain number of miles driven in that day (to ensure the engine is warmed for the day).

Then, and only then - the feature can be used as outlined above.

I'd love to hear back if this understanding is incorrect.
I can't get it to activate. Did you get it to work. I have 1700 miles and I'm following the directions and I cannot get it to work
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
Basilar_tip
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
I can't get it to activate. Did you get it to work. I have 1700 miles and I'm following the directions and I cannot get it to work
Same here, never got it to work and I've had the car since April.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Uoflfan27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilar_tip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
Is engine fully warm and are you pushing the accelerator all the way down until you feel the click?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilar_tip View Post
Same here... 1800 miles. Only tried a few times under the conditions defined in the manual but did not work. I won’t keep trying until I fully understand why it won’t work. My research has yielded nothing except maybe I drove fewer than 6 miles when trying it.... but it was for sure at optimal temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:14 AM   #9
Seven11
Private
Rep
Drives: X4m

I have been using launch control (LC) since the day i got the car. Very easy to active. Used during spontaneous races from a stop light.

try this,

Sport Plus Mode
Transmission shifter moved to the right so its in S1
One press of the traction control button
Press the brake to the floor
Press the gas to the floor (not lightly but press the gas ALL THE WAY)
it should show Launch Control Active in the gauge cluster.
Let go of the brake.

Works for me anytime i try this.

if this doesn't work maybe some other factors at play. maybe the steering wheel is not straight or it's raining (rain sensor) or too cold. I am not sure if any of those things I listed actually affect Launch Control but just a thought.
      10-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

It din't work for then because they din't use Sport Plus, the manual did not state Sport Plus so is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Useful for personal runs. But not practical on the fly (at a light racing someone). 3 second limit a problem. Better solution Sport plus with traction transmission in Drive foot on brake rpm 2500. Of course this only applies to RWD. Also my car is lighter and faster so traction is a real problem.
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      12-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
CommTech guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tanzanite M340i xDrive

The best way to get a feel for it is with the car OFF, press the accelerator down. You will feel a button just before the pedal hits the floor. That is what puts you into launch control mode. So when on, put in sport +, traction control off and transmission in S. Find a straight empty road.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Has anyone tried LC prior to reaching 1200?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

1200 what? Miles? RPMs?

Been using LC since day 1 with about 80 miles on the car. Pretty sure you can’t dictate the rpm, you have to floor the gas and brake

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #15
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Miles. The recommended break in period.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #16
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Miles. The recommended break in period.
My rep said break in is only suggested for true //M vehicles, took him at his word and been driving the hell outta mine, guess we’ll find out if I start having issues

Edit: I see you have AWD and I’m on RWD so maybe there lies a difference in break in recommendations, not sure

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 12-26-2020 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
My rep said break in is only suggested for true //M vehicles, took him at his word and been driving the hell outta mine, guess we’ll find out if I start having issues

Edit: I see you have AWD and I’m on RWD so maybe there lies a difference in break in recommendations, not sure
Shame he didn't get 'educated' by BMW... or even read the User Manuals.

Break-in applies to all vehicles.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      12-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Shame he didn't get 'educated' by BMW... or even read the User Manuals.

Break-in applies to all vehicles.
It's honestly a pointless debate to have over the break-in period. I've seen writings from engineers on both sides that state why you should (drive it like you stole it) or shouldn't baby the engine during break-in.

Personally, I think there are few motors out there that truly benefit. And even from those, there's a small chance something actually goes wrong. That said, if it were it's doubtful it wouldn't be something covered under warranty.

I've seen a couple of different recommendations in the manual - and yes one does state that break-in was only required for "M" vehicles. It was in a certain context though. On another page specifically dealing with break-in there was no specific mention of "M" vehicles, just a general what to do and what not to do during the 1,200 mile break in.

From what I've seen - reality is for those vehicles that actually matter for break-in - usually you will find some electronic/software coded limitations that prevent you from actually damaging something until it's ready. Chevy even recently did this with their C8. I've seen this in other BMW's when the engine is cold the redline is lowered/controlled by software.

I just don't worry about it anymore. Cars just aren't as fragile anymore, particularly BMW's. And the software used to control them are exceptionally good at protecting the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
It's honestly a pointless debate to have over the break-in period. I've seen writings from engineers on both sides that state why you should (drive it like you stole it) or shouldn't baby the engine during break-in.
There's a big difference between babying an engine and ignoring break-in recommendations. 'Moderation' comes to mind.

BMW still have a break-in regime for all engines, transmissions and driveline components. Longevity and efficiency being key reasons. Also why Launch Control is a "Do Not" in the break-in period.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      12-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #20
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There's a big difference between babying an engine and ignoring break-in recommendations. 'Moderation' comes to mind.

BMW still have a break-in regime for all engines, transmissions and driveline components. Longevity and efficiency being key reasons. Also why Launch Control is a "Do Not" in the break-in period.
I'm also not sure about this magical //M requirement for break-in. There is physical metal, rubber, oil, etc that your engine is comprised of. Just from a materials perspective there's a lot of logical sense to a break in period.

That said new cars don't need some voodoo break-in process these days. Just don't overstress the engine for the manufacturer recommended period of time and then you're golden. Premature stress could damage the engine a myriad of ways.

Last edited by obscurehero; 12-28-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #21
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

launch control has been a crap shoot for me. you'll eventually get the hang of using it consistently, but all i can say is make sure your tires are warmed up and the asphalt is hot because you'll leave rubber behind you. it seems like the car does better launch control on a slight upward street compared to a slight downhill... even the slightest.
Appreciate 0