Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

06-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #67
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Hi Slideit . I'm not too sure what the individual prices were as I got it charged as a package as I got two cars done that done so it was a packed price. If your in Sydney , MC car Security is my go to. firetitanx can vouch for these guys as he went to them after I told him about it haha
Sadly I'm stuck in Coronaville (Melb)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #68
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Neo6 is amazing. I have one. Keeps my 2 ch set up powered a minimum of 18 hours in parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #69
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Ok this is an interesting one , maybe someone has some comments.

When I sit in my car and turn the BMW system off by holding down the volume button for a few seconds, only once the BMW system is shutdown can I connect to the Blackvue WIFI, otherwise I cant connect it says the connection is already in use, I assume by the BMW system,

Once connected I start to download the videos.

As soon as I open the door the BMW system comes back up and my WIFI connection is lost.

So my question is why does the BMW system autoconnect to my Blackvue WIFI and how do I stop it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #70
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Ok this is an interesting one , maybe someone has some comments.

When I sit in my car and turn the BMW system off by holding down the volume button for a few seconds, only once the BMW system is shutdown can I connect to the Blackvue WIFI, otherwise I cant connect it says the connection is already in use, I assume by the BMW system,

Once connected I start to download the videos.

As soon as I open the door the BMW system comes back up and my WIFI connection is lost.

So my question is why does the BMW system autoconnect to my Blackvue WIFI and how do I stop it.

Thanks
On your phone.......disconnect the BMW WiFi and connect your Blackvue WiFi.
Reconnect after you have finished fiddling.
      06-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #71
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Ah thanks Steve, let me try that
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #72
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi All with Blackvue setups (SteveAus,vlo238)

Could you please post a screenshot of your sensitivity settings when you have a chance (Parking and Non Parking)
Trying to tune mine now , the default ones are rubbish.
Ran to the car the other day when I was in Terigal , after receiving an "Impact Event" nearly had a heart attack , only to find no intruders .
Video footage showed nothing, maybe the wind ?
So interested to know what works for you.

I will post my tuned ones once I get back in the car.

Thanks

Cheers

Here are my sensitivity settings

Hi SteveAus, any info on the G-Sensor settings for your car ?
Attached Images

Last edited by firetitanx; 07-28-2020 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #73
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Great install! Just wondering, any idea which fuse to use if I only have a Mini Fuse and not an ATO Fuse?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #74
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
Great install! Just wondering, any idea which fuse to use if I only have a Mini Fuse and not an ATO Fuse?

Apologies, but I'm not totally sure what you mean by Mini Fuse and ATO. We may have slightly different names here in the Weirdness of Oz.

However, have you considered simply cutting off the Mini Fuse (I assume this is the wire from your dashcam battery) and tapping into the wire and fuse box with a dual fuse jumper connector? This is way I installed on my car and it has worked flawlessly.

You should be able to buy a range of dual fuse jumper connectors from any decent automotive store.

BTW, what battery are you using? I remember that the Cellink Neo6 is supplied with three different sized dual fuse jumpers.......one of those definitely works in the G20.
      07-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #75
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Apologies, but I'm not totally sure what you mean by Mini Fuse and ATO. We may have slightly different names here in the Weirdness of Oz.

However, have you considered simply cutting off the Mini Fuse (I assume this is the wire from your dashcam battery) and tapping into the wire and fuse box with a dual fuse jumper connector? This is way I installed on my car and it has worked flawlessly.

You should be able to buy a range of dual fuse jumper connectors from any decent automotive store.

BTW, what battery are you using? I remember that the Cellink Neo6 is supplied with three different sized dual fuse jumpers.......one of those definitely works in the G20.

Seems there are 2 main types of fuses in the rear. One is of the mini size and another is of the bigger size (ATO or ATC fuse).
F273 is used here which is the bigger fuse.
Unfortunately, I only have a mini fuse tap so I can't use F273. It was recommended by the vendor to use the mini fuse but they were unable to recommend a specific fuse to use. They recommended using a voltage tester to determine the best fuse. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #76
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
Seems there are 2 main types of fuses in the rear. One is of the mini size and another is of the bigger size (ATO or ATC fuse).
F273 is used here which is the bigger fuse.
Unfortunately, I only have a mini fuse tap so I can't use F273. It was recommended by the vendor to use the mini fuse but they were unable to recommend a specific fuse to use. They recommended using a voltage tester to determine the best fuse. Any recommendations?
As I said before, cut off your mini fuse and get a bigger jumper. They are cheap. It takes about a minute to join the jumper to the battery wire. Tools needed, a wire crimping tool (best), or a pair of slim pliers.

Fuse 273 is the best one to use as it is your 12V accessory supply. It also shuts off after 7 minutes. Many of the other fuses are live all the time.
I wouldn’t touch any other fuses as they are likely to power different systems in the car that you probably shouldn’t risk playing with. You probably don’t want to risk one of these fuses failing when you’re driving, especially if it relates to a safety system.

As you can see from my post, I used a 20 Amp fuse, same as the original 12V supply fuse in position 273. Again very cheap to buy in an automotive store.
      07-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #77
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

ok I will look into that.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:22 AM   #78
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Cellink Neo Battery Question

Hi SteveAus.

A quick one, last time I checked my battery with the app it said 36% , has you app every shown zero or very low?

Just wondering as I suppose it would depend on how much driving you do right , as your main battery will be charging the cellink

What are the average percentage figures you have been seeing?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #79
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SteveAus.

A quick one, last time I checked my battery with the app it said 36% , has you app every shown zero or very low?

Just wondering as I suppose it would depend on how much driving you do right , as your main battery will be charging the cellink

Thanks
To be honest, I don’t look at the dashcam battery very often. It’s set and forget for me.
I’ll do a test for you in August when I go to the coast and leave the BMW in the garage for a week or so (I use the Golf to take the dogs to the beach - wet, sandy dogs on the way home - definitely NOT in the Beemer).
From memory, the lowest battery level I’ve noted was around 25%. But, as you say, the battery level is commonly dependent on how often you use your car.
      07-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #80
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Hi SteveAus.

Thanks
I’ve hit 0 lots. In fact it’s often empty. But I’m in Melbourne. So you know
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #81
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi SteveAus.

Thanks
To be honest, I don’t look at the dashcam battery very often. It’s set and forget for me.
I’ll do a test for you in August when I go to the coast and leave the BMW in the garage for a week or so (I use the Golf to take the dogs to the beach - wet, sandy dogs on the way home - definitely NOT in the Beemer).
From memory, the lowest battery level I’ve noted was around 25%. But, as you say, the battery level is commonly dependent on how often you use your car.
Quote:
Quote:
Hi SteveAus.

Thanks
To be honest, I don't look at the dashcam battery very often. It's set and forget for me.
I'll do a test for you in August when I go to the coast and leave the BMW in the garage for a week or so (I use the Golf to take the dogs to the beach - wet, sandy dogs on the way home - definitely NOT in the Beemer).
From memory, the lowest battery level I've noted was around 25%. But, as you say, the battery level is commonly dependent on how often you use your car.
Ah Thanks SteveAus

I also set and forget but just interesting to know how quickly the battery discharges
While parking in the garage it should not be drawing any power except for those blue lights on the cam and if there is motion which there shouldn't be

Appreciate that it will be interesting to see if it go's flat,

So I was thinking of a backup backup battery hahaha
Maybe going overboard here
And then probably the backup backup battery would never get charged as it will probably do the first one first , not sure
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #82
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah Thanks SteveAus

I also set and forget but just interesting to know how quickly the battery discharges
While parking in the garage it should not be drawing any power except for those blue lights on the cam and if there is motion which there shouldn't be

Appreciate that it will be interesting to see if it go's flat,

So I was thinking of a backup backup battery hahaha
Maybe going overboard here
And then probably the backup backup battery would never get charged as it will probably do the first one first , not sure
I think you may be a trifle paranoid, or you park in some very dodgy neighbourhoods!
I know you can add an additional battery to your system, but I’m not sure which battery is charged first (assuming they charge separately, rather than simultaneously).
      07-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #83
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you may be a trifle paranoid, or you park in some very dodgy neighbourhoods!
I know you can add an additional battery to your system, but I’m not sure which battery is charged first (assuming they charge separately, rather than simultaneously).
Hahhaha
Attached Images

Last edited by firetitanx; 07-28-2020 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #84
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
I’ve hit 0 lots. In fact it’s often empty. But I’m in Melbourne. So you know
Oh wow , thats because you don't drive your car Slideit.
Naughty man !!!!

Ah I forgot lockdown......aaaargh.

Driving as much as I can now before we suffer the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #85
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Called DashCams Australia where I bought my cams, they gave me some good advice.
If you have a second backup cellink then when you drive the car it will charge both albeit at a lower rate.

So that might disadvantage the primary battery to charge at a much lower rate.

So I think overkill unless you are parking the car long term.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:53 AM   #86
MrMickeyG
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

I use two of the BlackVue B-124E batteries which are connected together. They charge up off the 12v DC plug. I prefer to keep the dashcam off the car battery (it was previously hooked up off the fuse board). I don't drive too often, but from a full charge, they have lasted about 48-60 hours parked in the basement. It runs the dashcam and a 4g hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #87
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMickeyG View Post
I use two of the BlackVue B-124E batteries which are connected together. They charge up off the 12v DC plug. I prefer to keep the dashcam off the car battery (it was previously hooked up off the fuse board). I don't drive too often, but from a full charge, they have lasted about 48-60 hours parked in the basement. It runs the dashcam and a 4g hotspot.
Ah thanks for that MrMickeyG
Good to know, 48-60 hours is a long time
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:23 AM   #88
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I spent my time over Easter in isolation from the world, just like everyone else. Although I have a Drive Recorder installed in the car I felt the need to have dashcams to record any unfortunate events while parked. In addition, the dashcams also give you cool video while driving and also records events on the road that would otherwise not be recorded by the Drive Recorder - like the time a Merc driver decided to brake test me in a 40 kph zone (complete with middle finger) - WTF?

So I put the time to good use and installed the following in my car:

1. BlackVue DR900S dual channel dashcams.
2. Cellink Neo6 battery to run the dashcams while parked.

As I have not installed a Power Magic Pro, I have not conducted the research on how it should be installed. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with this.

In the meantime, here is a video on the installation and a PDF file of photos and a few tips to assist you, should you wish to install something similar in your own cars.

Just wanted to say thanks for this very helpful write up which I followed for my cameras installation. I did however make one very minor change. I was feeling very ambitious therefore I removed the rear view mirror cover and drilled two small holes to accommodate the front cables to allow routing inside the trim.

Thanks Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by Xsapper; 07-30-2020 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00