Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA E92 335 question: My car rattles/shakes and cant be driven "sometimes" in the morning

09-07-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Denks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E92

Angry E92 335 question: My car rattles/shakes and cant be driven "sometimes" in the morning

Hi everyone

Apologise in advance if I don't explain this right, but ill try my best to explain the issue i am having with my 335.

In short, the car starts to shake or rattle first thing in the morning (if, and only if, I let it idle). If I start the car and let it idle, the following happens:

1. within 10 seconds, i start to feel the car begin to shake or rattle (at first it is not severe);

2. the closer it gets to the stage of when the second second exhaust opens up, the shaking gets worse;

3. after the second exhaust has opened up and both exhausts are on (this usually occurs after you hear the waste gate rattle), it will usually start sounding like its choking, and the yellow engine light turns on. This sometimes results in the car "conking out" or just feels like it should just not be driven.

That said, if i turn the ignition, and immediately start driving the car, I don't get any issue at all. The mechanic originally thought it was the sparks plugs, but they have been replaced twice and the issue is still there.

Does anyone know what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:39 AM   #2
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Highly recommend getting the car scanned by a professional or someone who knows what they're doing with a scan tool. Will be blind guesses otherwise. If it's thrown the engine light it will have the code stored and allow you to narrow the issue down. Could be anything from coils, fuel injectors, a vacuum leak etc.
Appreciate 1
erawamai161.50
      09-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
Denks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E92

My mechanic already did that, and the fault code indicated it was a spark plug. So changed that, and the issue went away for about 2 weeks and then came back. He reckons it might be the injectors, and if so, will need all of them replaced.

Apparently you need all replaced, and each one costs $700 or something ridiculous. I have had the worst luck with this car. Had to pay for both turbos to get replaced at 91 KM's.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denks View Post
My mechanic already did that, and the fault code indicated it was a spark plug. So changed that, and the issue went away for about 2 weeks and then came back. He reckons it might be the injectors, and if so, will need all of them replaced.

Apparently you need all replaced, and each one costs $700 or something ridiculous. I have had the worst luck with this car. Had to pay for both turbos to get replaced at 91 KM's.
Fault code for spark plug? If it was a code for a misfire it will more likely be a bad ignition coil than a plug. Common issue on these. Assuming it's a n54? Could always swap a coil on the bad cylinder and scan the car again to see if the code follows the coil.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Crook coils I would think, common .
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:43 AM   #6
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denks View Post
Hi everyone

Apologise in advance if I don't explain this right, but ill try my best to explain the issue i am having with my 335.

In short, the car starts to shake or rattle first thing in the morning (if, and only if, I let it idle). If I start the car and let it idle, the following happens:

1. within 10 seconds, i start to feel the car begin to shake or rattle (at first it is not severe);

2. the closer it gets to the stage of when the second second exhaust opens up, the shaking gets worse;

3. after the second exhaust has opened up and both exhausts are on (this usually occurs after you hear the waste gate rattle), it will usually start sounding like its choking, and the yellow engine light turns on. This sometimes results in the car "conking out" or just feels like it should just not be driven.

That said, if i turn the ignition, and immediately start driving the car, I don't get any issue at all. The mechanic originally thought it was the sparks plugs, but they have been replaced twice and the issue is still there.

Does anyone know what it could be?
Hey Denks,

I have a lot of experience with tuning and unfortunately (lol) troubleshooting problematic N54's.

If you are based in Sydney, I can arrange to have the issue investigated thoroughly for you.

Out of curiosity when the engine stumbles after a cold start, does the exhaust gas smell very fuely?

Thanks,

Justin.
Appreciate 0