2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 vs. G30

10-02-2020, 05:37 AM   #1
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Hi all,

Having recently collected my new G20 320i M-sport plus / pro (whatever BMW are calling it this week), I thought I'd share my experience / opinion having spent the best part of 3 years in a G30 520d SE. In some ways not the fairest of comparisons, but I think interesting nonetheless.

First impressions:

A massive step up from the previous 3! One of the reasons I went for a 5 when I did, is because it was right at the end of the life of the F30, so didn't want to be stuck with the old model for 3 years - I didn't necessarily want or need a 5. Just so happened the deal on the company car scheme was really good on the 5, which also helped sway my decision. Although the 5 was definitely more comfortable and had some higher quality materials in the cabin, the gap between the latest 3 isn't that big at all in terms of quality. The look of the interior I think is also more driver focused than the 5, and I really love the design of the dash - definitely feels more up to date than the 5 did. It's also a much nicer looking car, with better proportions - even comparing M-sport with M-sport rather than SE.

Driving:

Now this is where comparing an SE with M-sport probably isn't the fairest, but the 3 feels so much more planted and nimble. The 5 could actually feel really big at times, especially on some smaller B-roads. It really inspires you to throw it into a corner, where as the 5 was definitely more comfortable at a cruise. Where the 3 is let down a bit though is the ride - even with the adaptive dampers in comfort, it's nowhere near as pliant as the 5...but again you're talking an SE on 17" wheels vs. an M-sport on 19's. It's not terrible however, and definitely fine for what you gain in drivability.

Refinement:

The 3 has really surprised me at just how quiet it is - it's by no means as silent in the cabin than the 5 was, but it's much closer than I would have thought. The only thing I seem to notice in the 3 is a bit of tire roar at speed, but again probably due to larger wheels and run-flat tyres.

Performance:

This is my first venture back into petrol, and I'm actually over the moon with how the 320i performs. It's so smooth, and the acceleration nice and progressive all the way up to the redline. I had concerns it wouldn't be enough, but I'd say it's easily as quick I'm every day driving than the 520d, and so much smoother / quieter in terms of engine noise. It's by no means lightning fast, but easily quick enough for what I need.

Economy:

Obviously never going to get near the 520d, which saw into the low 60's on a steady cruise. But even on a short motorway stint, I was easily into the mid-40's which I think is very good for a petrol engine with a decent amount of performance. When I get to my commute I'll put it to the real test, but I don't think high 40's to 50 mpg is out of the question. Now given the 320d in the spec I've got was nearly £50 a month more, I don't think I'd ever offset that doing 12-13k miles a year.

Space:

This isn't really relevant for me, as I never needed the 5's space, but I can easily get all my golf gear in the boot, and there seems like there's plenty of room for 4 adults, so I'm very impressed again given the previous 3 was quite tight in the back.

General observations:

- Harman Kardon doesn't sound quite as good in the 3, but also need to give it a chance to get run in properly and take some time to get the EQ set up.
- Seats are a little on the firm side, but again probably need bedding in, and I can get into a really comfortable driving position. Glad I ordered with lumbar support, which is a disgrace it isn't standard really.
- ID7, while it may probably have more functions and technically be better than ID6 in every way, it's nowhere near as intuitive or easy to use as the tile system on ID6. Sorry BMW, but this is a step back.
- Headlights, soooo much better than the standard fit LED's on the 5, which were woeful.
- Driving assistant professional is amazing. I always regretted not spec'ing this on the 5, but had to compromise as it was a company car. I can't recommend this highly enough if your commute involves a lot of motorway or A-road cruising.

Generally I'm over the moon with the car, and it's a massive step forward from the previous 3 series. Yes it's lacking in a few areas compared to the 5, but that's to be expected given it's in the segment below. For anyone having the same comparison, the gap isn't as big as you'd think vs. the 5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
OM3RTA391.00
Soul_Glo13343.50
      10-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Nice review and I agree on the lumbar support. I've only done a few long stretches since we've had it but not having the lumbar box ticked would have definitely made those distances a bit harder to bare.

Can't wait to have a proper pour over the new 5er as I think the 'old' one is still a bit of a looker.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

I can imagine it feels small and nibble as the G30 look so big on the road, much like a 7 Series than a bigger 3.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
I can imagine it feels small and nibble as the G30 look so big on the road, much like a 7 Series than a bigger 3.
Yeah it feels totally different - I'm loving it. Took it on its first commute this week across to Carlisle from Newcastle and averaged 44mpg. For a car that's only done 300 miles and a petrol I think that's good going. As it gets more run in I expect that to get into the high 40's.
Appreciate 0