Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics HK Stereo Volume Fix

03-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

HK Stereo Volume Fix

In other threads, I've seen some mention that the stereo volume control on the Harmon Kardon system is flawed because reasonable listening volume doesn't begin until the volume is up past 60-70% of the display bar, so I thought I would post my workaround for this.

I simply boosted all frequencies on the equalizer, then cut back on the ones I wanted to lessen. This effectively makes the volume knob way more sensitive. Instead of having to rotate the knob many times just to hear music at all, I can hear music on the first notch and could comfortably listen at the second notch (we are talking 1% or 2% here). I think audiophiles might have a different perspective on this as a fix, but it works for me and sounds fantastic to my ears.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
rajens00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
In other threads, I've seen some mention that the stereo volume control on the Harmon Kardon system is flawed because reasonable listening volume doesn't begin until the volume is up past 60-70% of the display bar, so I thought I would post my workaround for this.

I simply boosted all frequencies on the equalizer, then cut back on the ones I wanted to lessen. This effectively makes the volume knob way more sensitive. Instead of having to rotate the knob many times just to hear music at all, I can hear music on the first notch and could comfortably listen at the second notch (we are talking 1% or 2% here). I think audiophiles might have a different perspective on this as a fix, but it works for me and sounds fantastic to my ears.
Would you be kind enough to post a screenshot of your equalizer settings…
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

I will try to remember to do this, but there's nothing special about my settings. All I did is maximize all frequencies, then cut back on the low end ones a bit.

I will still most likely tweak over time once I've listened to all my collection + various music sources over it, because I don't really need maximum knob sensitivity between 1 and 10 percent volume. Try just maximizing the equalizer sliders when some music is on, then slide back on the ones to your liking. For me it was cutting bass frequencies for the most part.

Try just maxing treble and bass and cutting back from there if you want the volume knob to be extra sensitive.

Honestly I think the default volume knob sensitivity settings are what they are only to accommodate gesture control and add lots of room for error; with gesture control, sensitive volume control would be somewhat problematic, I think.

I didn't want gesture control, I'm a physical knob and button guy, thus opted out of those two - aside from that and laser headlights my car has pretty much every option and the Harmon Kardon stereo was one option I'm definitely glad I chose.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 03-06-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0