Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Retrofit HK system integrators 330i Hi-Fi system?

03-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
Beam330
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i xDrive M Sport

Do you guys think it's possible to retrofit the HK system (under seat woofers, all speakers, amplifier) and replace my Hi-Fi sound system?

The only difference would be I wouldn't have the speakers near the rear windshield but I'm almost certain from the front seats those back speakers don't make a difference.

BTW not sure why the title says "integrators" must have been a typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I wouldn't think that would provide a significant difference, to be honest. I think if you really wanted to improve sound, the full bavsound system (all speakers/tweeters) plus ghost underseat woofers + a dedicated subwoofer in the trunk would probably be the best bet. Would probably be cheaper than trying to retrofit HK into a non HK car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Beam330
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I wouldn't think that would provide a significant difference, to be honest. I think if you really wanted to improve sound, the full bavsound system (all speakers/tweeters) plus ghost underseat woofers + a dedicated subwoofer in the trunk would probably be the best bet. Would probably be cheaper than trying to retrofit HK into a non HK car.
I don't know whether you had the HK system in your g20 before but do you think Bavsound full system is better than HK full system (without adding a sub in the back)?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I had the stock Hi Fi so can’t speak to the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
Beam330
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I had the stock Hi Fi so can't speak to the HK system.
You said the bass was just tighter right? I'm a bass lover so I want all the bass I can get. I value like punchy bass and bass you can feel so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

My HK system in my old F30 was absolutely amazing and I thought it was honestly perfect. I thought that the HK in the G20 would be better or at least the same. Is this the case or is the new HK in the g20 not as good?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam330 View Post
Do you guys think it's possible to retrofit the HK system (under seat woofers, all speakers, amplifier) and replace my Hi-Fi sound system?

The only difference would be I wouldn't have the speakers near the rear windshield but I'm almost certain from the front seats those back speakers don't make a difference.

The mayor difference between the HiFi and the Top HiFi (HK) system is the separate amplifier for the underseat woofers. So if you want the HiFi to be close to the HK then boost the OEM woofers with a separate aftermarket amplifier - or better, replace OEM woofers with a pair of SWS-8Xi and then boost them with an aftermarket amplifier. No need to replace or add component speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
Beam330
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam330 View Post

The mayor difference between the HiFi and the Top HiFi (HK) system is the separate amplifier for the underseat woofers. So if you want the HiFi to be close to the HK then boost the OEM woofers with a separate aftermarket amplifier - or better, replace OEM woofers with a pair of SWS-8Xi and then boost them with an aftermarket amplifier. No need to replace or add component speakers.
I didn't know the woofers were powered by a different amplifier. Not sure how the process of an additional amplifier would be done on the g20 so I'm probably going to end up getting a more powerful amplifier and woofers too. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0