Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Cameras Dim at Night

03-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Cameras Dim at Night

I notice that the reverse and PDC cameras on our new m340i are really dark at night. When trying to reverse out of the garage with a car on the other side of the driveway, that car is completely invisible on the display. It's as if the reverse and side lights don't illuminate much at all.
Along those lines, when coming into the garage at night the headlights do not seem to illuminate the forward camera view much.

I've tried turning up the brightness, but it seems to have very little effect at night.

This was not at all the case on our old 328i or my current m240i vert. Is there some adjustment other than brightness and contrast that can make this better?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Are the camera lenses clean? In my case, I have a clearview at night. Also the backup lights help in a normal way.
      03-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Are the camera lenses clean? In my case, I have a clearview at night. Also the backup lights help in a normal way.
I will check, but it doesn't have the foggy look of a dirty lens. It looks more like the exposure is turned down low.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I notice that the reverse and PDC cameras on our new m340i are really dark at night. When trying to reverse out of the garage with a car on the other side of the driveway, that car is completely invisible on the display. It's as if the reverse and side lights don't illuminate much at all.
Along those lines, when coming into the garage at night the headlights do not seem to illuminate the forward camera view much.

I've tried turning up the brightness, but it seems to have very little effect at night.

This was not at all the case on our old 328i or my current m240i vert. Is there some adjustment other than brightness and contrast that can make this better?
+1. Way too dark, even in the parking garage at my workplace.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
+1
When ever I back up at night, it is always a challenge. Best I can figure is that the back up LEDs aren't bright enough

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Sling56
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I have found this as well, very different from any other car I've had. Camera is almost useless at night, I've cranked the brightness as well
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
TigerOne
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive M

Quote:

Agreed. I do not believe it is a LED brightness issue or an screen brightness issue.....it is a matter of the exposure setting for the camera sensor. This could be adjusted via software update or by giving users control over the exposure / gamma.
Appreciate 1
bacampbe341.50
      03-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerOne View Post
Agreed. I do not believe it is a LED brightness issue or an screen brightness issue.....it is a matter of the exposure setting for the camera sensor. This could be adjusted via software update or by giving users control over the exposure / gamma.
I agree it looks like an exposure setting problem. It's dark, but has pretty saturated colors. Under similar lighting conditions my m240 looks washed out, but you can see things. I wonder if someone made a decision to make it prettier, and lost function in the process.

What is the best way to give feedback to BMW on this sort of thing, in the hopes they fix it in a future software update?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
TigerOne
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerOne View Post
I agree it looks like an exposure setting problem. It's dark, but has pretty saturated colors. Under similar lighting conditions my m240 looks washed out, but you can see things. I wonder if someone made a decision to make it prettier, and lost function in the process.

What is the best way to give feedback to BMW on this sort of thing, in the hopes they fix it in a future software update?
Wish I knew. I mentioned this to my sales guy and I sent an email to the generic customer service email address in Canada. All I received back was a suggestion on how to adjust screen brightness, which was not the point. If you ever do find a means of getting constructive feedback to the firmware developers, please share in here.....we'd probably all like a shot at making some good changes. For example, I would also like to be able to select a bias for the brightness of the instrument screen. It is automatically adjusted using a sensor during the daytime, but there is no way to manually adjust the centrepoint of that brightness. When I brought up this point with BMW, they told me how to adjust brightness at night using the rotary dimming switch, which again was not the point since that does not appear to do anything to affect screen brightness in the daytime.

Front line customer service folks do the best they can, but they will likely not be as tuned into the subtleties of using the systems as the engineers are, which is why the only answers they provide are straight out of a users manual that we already have.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
Hysnbrg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 30;2020 M340;2016 340

Do you guys have Alpine White cars by any chance? Coz I do.

I notice this issue a lot more when my car is freshly washed and shiny. I think it's something to do with the contrast of the white bumper that takes up a good chunk of the rear view camera view. Sort of what a phone camera runs into without HDR with both bright and dark objects in the view.

I read somewhere that putting a small piece of black vinyl tape on the lower part of the rear view camera to block some of the bumper appearing can solve this problem.

Can't find source, didn't try it, and it's not as much a problem for me now that I don't wash the car every week like I used. I daily drive it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysnbrg View Post
Do you guys have Alpine White cars by any chance? Coz I do.

I notice this issue a lot more when my car is freshly washed and shiny. I think it's something to do with the contrast of the white bumper that takes up a good chunk of the rear view camera view. Sort of what a phone camera runs into without HDR with both bright and dark objects in the view.

I read somewhere that putting a small piece of black vinyl tape on the lower part of the rear view camera to block some of the bumper appearing can solve this problem.

Can't find source, didn't try it, and it's not as much a problem for me now that I don't wash the car every week like I used. I daily drive it
No, Portomao Blue here.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
No, my car is Tanzanite blue

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Same problem here. My f30 backup camera worked very well at night.
My old Honda CR-V actually triggers infrared camera at night which is even better (even if not pretty).

Bmw dropped the ball here. They better fix this cause I can’t see a darn thing backing up at night in about half the situations so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:45 AM   #14
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
My old Honda CR-V actually triggers infrared camera at night which is even better (even if not pretty).

Bmw dropped the ball here. They better fix this cause I can’t see a darn thing backing up at night in about half the situations so far.
Maybe there is some underlying fault with the camera but how bad is it, can you post a pic so we can compare to ours?

Mine seems to have gone worse overtime so wonder is the infrared LED are deteriorating or failing.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #15
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:

Bmw dropped the ball here. They better fix this cause I can't see a darn thing backing up at night in about half the situations so far.
Maybe there is some underlying fault with the camera but how bad is it, can you post a pic so we can compare to ours?

Mine seems to have gone worse overtime so wonder is the infrared LED are deteriorating or failing.
Infrared you say? I'm not even seeing an infrared kicking in at night. It's full color for one. And it's very hard to see anything.
      12-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:

Bmw dropped the ball here. They better fix this cause I can't see a darn thing backing up at night in about half the situations so far.

Infrared you say? I'm not even seeing an infrared kicking in at night. It's full color for one. And it's very hard to see anything.
Well I'm assuming there is some LED omitting light so it can see in the dark. If not then no wonder it's poor as it's using your reverse lights etc and if they are not clean then won't be enough to provide enough light for the camera.

Saying that in the rain all 4 of my cameras are poor to the point I can't see a parking space lines!
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #17
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Damn, ok it thought it was just me. Yeah at night the camera is really useless, which I hate coming out of garages. There's has to be a solution
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #18
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I keep getting a issue where it goes blue, only intermittently at this stage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 04:58 AM   #19
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Does everyone with the issue have the 360° cameras?
I had a loan G20 recently with a single rear reverse camera and no issues at night, very bright and clear.
My G20 with 4 x cameras is atrocious at night.