Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum When asking about allocations, you may want to ask this too

08-28-2022, 07:20 PM   #1
AlexInChicago
Rep
Drives: 2023 430GranSport xDriveMsport

When asking about allocations, you may want to ask this too

This week I ordered a 2023 430i xDrive Gran Coupe once the dealer offered me an allocation. I have a production number and a build week (9/4). I followed the advice of asking dealers if they had an allocation, but if nobody has an allocation, I think there's another question to be asked. Ask, what was the build week for the last allocation you got? This would be good to know if you only want the current year model, as I did. This is because if EOP (end of production) is coming up, being on waiting lists may not be enough to get you the current model. By the time they get an allocation for you, the build week could be for the next model year. Knowing what build week dealers are currently getting will let you decide if you need to call & visit dealers until one offers you an allocation, rather than just be on waiting lists.
'06 330i Sport 6MT. Monaco Blue.
'02 330i Sport. 1988 Porsche 944S 5MT.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 09:21 PM   #2
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInChicago View Post
This week I ordered a 2023 430i xDrive Gran Coupe once the dealer offered me an allocation. I have a production number and a build week (9/4). I followed the advice of asking dealers if they had an allocation, but if nobody has an allocation, I think there's another question to be asked. Ask, what was the build week for the last allocation you got? This would be good to know if you only want the current year model, as I did. This is because if EOP (end of production) is coming up, being on waiting lists may not be enough to get you the current model. By the time they get an allocation for you, the build week could be for the next model year. Knowing what build week dealers are currently getting will let you decide if you need to call & visit dealers until one offers you an allocation, rather than just be on waiting lists.
Not always terrible to be on waitlist in middle of a model year change. There was decent payment walk support this year for those affected. 🙂
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
AlexInChicago
Rep

You're right, but I wanted a car with wood somewhere on the dash, and real physical buttons for heated seats & music pre-sets. iDrive 8 and the curved display eliminates all that. That is why this year's model was significant, it's the last one with what I want.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
Max Caviar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC Tanzanite Blue

good tip here. i would have walked on the first dealership had i been told the build dates they were getting. my '22 order ended up being '23 and they had no allocations. ended up moving on to a dealership about an hour away rather than screwing with the local hucksters.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
AlexInChicago
Rep

The dealer with an allocation, that I ordered from, is 4 hours away. They said they had an allocation because a customer had cancelled an order. Nothing against the local dealers, but none of the five I'd contacted said they had an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:49 PM   #6
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
The dealer with an allocation, that I ordered from, is 4 hours away. They said they had an allocation because a customer had cancelled an order. Nothing against the local dealers, but none of the five I'd contacted said they had an allocation.
Where did you order? I've always had best luck ordering in Chicago, even though I'm not there.
      09-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
AlexInChicago
Rep

Because they had an allocation, I ordered from BMW of Grand Blanc in Grand Blanc, MI, also known as Randy Wise Motorcars. They said they had an allocation because of a cancellation.
I did have an order with a Chicago area dealer but after almost a month I did not have an allocation. When the Michigan dealer said they had an allocation, I decided to take it, and I cancelled the order with the Chicago area dealer.
Appreciate 0