Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board possible credit card scam

07-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

possible credit card scam

just started receiving these calls 2 days after i get my cc. same line, same pitch, same script. the first couple ones i hungup on...the next batch i listened to then hung up on...then last batch i spoke to and told them i am sincerely not interested. im curious to know how easy it is for them to cut and chop up the phone call to make it sound like i ordered 48 months of subscriptions and then bill my cc???

call goes like this...somewhat

lady:...hey is **** there? im calling long distance can you hear me ok?

me: yea i can hear you, im busy what can i do for you

lady: just wanted to let you know you have been entered in this contest and drawings are 3 times a year and you could win 5k or 25k because you are a preferred member of visa, mastercard, american express, discover...do you have one of these cards??

me: i have visa and am ex

lady: visa sponsored this and in return we ask you consider evaluating our magazine selection, no purchase necessary, complimentary watch and magazine x and y but you if you want the complimentary you need to buy magazine z with 40% off the price for 48 months

me: i dont read and i dont like cars...i use the internet....but if i win the 5k gime me a call

i asked how they got my info, lady proceded to tell me its a felony for my cc company to give my cc number out...they only have my name, address, and phone number. no cc number was exchanged, i denied all interest, told them not to fill mailbox with magazines,told them i dont even like cars or sports...no credit card number was exchanged...the call lasted 4 maybe 5 minutes....

i called wells fargo just to ask general questions about the situation, not in a hostile manner at all, just curious....they said they never give anything out to third party and they are sure visa wont either...tried to say maybe its another source although it soooo not a coincidence the calls started calling as soon as my card was activated and my limit was 5k lol

im just curious if you have these calls...must of had 10 calls since i activated my card two days ago....im worried that in a month from now magazines are gona start coming in and there is gona be a 48 month 1600 magazine subscription bill on my cc lol...im paranoid....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rookie View Post
just started receiving these calls 2 days after i get my cc. same line, same pitch, same script. the first couple ones i hungup on...the next batch i listened to then hung up on...then last batch i spoke to and told them i am sincerely not interested. im curious to know how easy it is for them to cut and chop up the phone call to make it sound like i ordered 48 months of subscriptions and then bill my cc???

call goes like this...somewhat

lady:...hey is **** there? im calling long distance can you hear me ok?

me: yea i can hear you, im busy what can i do for you

lady: just wanted to let you know you have been entered in this contest and drawings are 3 times a year and you could win 5k or 25k because you are a preferred member of visa, mastercard, american express, discover...do you have one of these cards??

me: i have visa and am ex

lady: visa sponsored this and in return we ask you consider evaluating our magazine selection, no purchase necessary, complimentary watch and magazine x and y but you if you want the complimentary you need to buy magazine z with 40% off the price for 48 months

me: i dont read and i dont like cars...i use the internet....but if i win the 5k gime me a call

i asked how they got my info, lady proceded to tell me its a felony for my cc company to give my cc number out...they only have my name, address, and phone number. no cc number was exchanged, i denied all interest, told them not to fill mailbox with magazines,told them i dont even like cars or sports...no credit card number was exchanged...the call lasted 4 maybe 5 minutes....

i called wells fargo just to ask general questions about the situation, not in a hostile manner at all, just curious....they said they never give anything out to third party and they are sure visa wont either...tried to say maybe its another source although it soooo not a coincidence the calls started calling as soon as my card was activated and my limit was 5k lol

im just curious if you have these calls...must of had 10 calls since i activated my card two days ago....im worried that in a month from now magazines are gona start coming in and there is gona be a 48 month 1600 magazine subscription bill on my cc lol...im paranoid....

There ARE such things as coincidences.... this is one of them

It could have been through other things...something you bought with a credit card, the site where you signed up for it at, etc etc.... but neither company associated directly with the credit card can sell/give your info.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
There ARE such things as coincidences.... this is one of them

It could have been through other things...something you bought with a credit card, the site where you signed up for it at, etc etc.... but neither company associated directly with the credit card can sell/give your info.

im guessing unless i verbally give out my 16 digit cc number they wont have it...i can stretch the assumption that mayyybe they can chop and record my voices but i doubt that...i never gave out my cc information...they just had my name and addy and cell....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i would hang up as soon as I hear this everytime.

"lady: just wanted to let you know you have been entered in this contest"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep

ha i did that like 12 times...even fucked around with one lady and rattled in spanish to them...fucked them all up ha....

i spoke to my credit card company twice...wells fargo...they told me, and i believe them, they dispute unauthorized charges all the time and they will refund the money and cancel any subscriptions with the third party in any manner possible....they rep for my credit card company continued to say in a situation as i explained it the telemarketer wouldnt have my 16 digit credit card number before they call me. there is no way they would have any billable account information. i would have to be duped into giving them my info. they would do their pitch and run their lines in the hopes of me coughing it up...WHICH I NEVER DID!!

i dont kno...im paranoid...like somewhere somehow somebody can get access to my banking information because they have my name, number and addy
Appreciate 0