Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Can You text through Bluetooth?

11-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

Can You text through Bluetooth?

I know that I can use the iPhone in EITHER CarPlay mode or Phone/Media through Bluetooth.

My question… if your phone is connected through Bluetooth (not CarPlay), can you use the BMW assistant to text?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
I know that I can use the iPhone in EITHER CarPlay mode or Phone/Media through Bluetooth.

My question… if your phone is connected through Bluetooth (not CarPlay), can you use the BMW assistant to text?
Yes. I do it all the time with both my iPhone 14 Pro Max and Google Pixel 6 Pro and iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

That would simplify things for us.

Let me put the scenario out there for feedback.

Two drivers, who are usually both in the car together, except for the semi-regular trips when the primary driver drops off or picks up the secondary driver at the airport for work.

The primary driver probably drives 70-80% of the time and is the one who is more likely to drive any distance by themselves. However, the primary driver has a limited data plan and has not spent much time using CarPlay.

The secondary driver has an unlimited data plan and is quite used to using CarPlay when traveling and in rental cars.

My theory is that we should just teach the car to connect to the primary driver's phone by bluetooth for phone and audio, and the secondary driver by CarPlay. The primary driver can use onboard navigation, phone, and texting (and probably mostly rely on SiriusXM or FM radio). When the secondary driver is in the car (which is most of the time), CarPlay can be used for additional navigation/music and the secondary driver's phone/texting.

Does that make sense? Will that work?

It probably seems like a stupid question... but I was thinking that we'd have to teach the primary driver to switch back and forth when the secondary driver isn't in the car... but that may be more complicated than needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

So you should probably assign priority to the "secondary drivers" phone, so that will be automatically selected when both are in the car. (At least that is how iDrive 7 works.) Both phones contacts are anyway available in iDrive when both phones are connected.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
That would simplify things for us.

Let me put the scenario out there for feedback.

Two drivers, who are usually both in the car together, except for the semi-regular trips when the primary driver drops off or picks up the secondary driver at the airport for work.

The primary driver probably drives 70-80% of the time and is the one who is more likely to drive any distance by themselves. However, the primary driver has a limited data plan and has not spent much time using CarPlay.

The secondary driver has an unlimited data plan and is quite used to using CarPlay when traveling and in rental cars.

My theory is that we should just teach the car to connect to the primary driver's phone by bluetooth for phone and audio, and the secondary driver by CarPlay. The primary driver can use onboard navigation, phone, and texting (and probably mostly rely on SiriusXM or FM radio). When the secondary driver is in the car (which is most of the time), CarPlay can be used for additional navigation/music and the secondary driver's phone/texting.

Does that make sense? Will that work?

It probably seems like a stupid question... but I was thinking that we'd have to teach the primary driver to switch back and forth when the secondary driver isn't in the car... but that may be more complicated than needed.
I think what you can do is set one phone up with connection mode Bluetooth only, and the other for Bluetooth and Apps for car play. Then set your desired priority.
Appreciate 0