Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Oil Pump issues - 2020 M340

04-10-2023, 05:24 PM   #1
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Oil Pump issues - 2020 M340

Hello All,

It has come to my attention that many 2020 b58 owners can’t read their oil level. Most say because of the oil pumps that have gone bad due to bmw using plastic.

Can anyone else vouch that their oil level doesn’t work either?

It really should be a recall by BMW at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:11 AM   #2
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b58.fazil View Post
Hello All,

It has come to my attention that many 2020 b58 owners can’t read their oil level. Most say because of the oil pumps that have gone bad due to bmw using plastic.

Can anyone else vouch that their oil level doesn’t work either?

It really should be a recall by BMW at this point.
I've seen plenty of people with the same complaint/fix in the facebook group. Pretty insane there is no recall but that is also typical BMW, apparently they swap it out for a new part that was changed in the 2021+ years that do not utilize plastic. Seems like first they blame the sensor then after that "fix" doesn't work they will swap out your oil pump under warranty if you still have it.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:23 AM   #3
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyK View Post
I've seen plenty of people with the same complaint/fix in the facebook group. Pretty insane there is no recall but that is also typical BMW, apparently they swap it out for a new part that was changed in the 2021+ years that do not utilize plastic.
Yea. I’m not entirely sure what to do. I am currently tuned but I have a CPO warranty that has 2 years left.

Wondering if I should go to the dealership to see what they say. My hope is that they go ahead and approve the repair even though I am tuned because the oil pump issue is known to happen even on stock and has nothing to do with the tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:28 AM   #4
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea. I’m not entirely sure what to do. I am currently tuned but I have a CPO warranty that has 2 years left.

Wondering if I should go to the dealership to see what they say. My hope is that they go ahead and approve the repair even though I am tuned because the oil pump issue is known to happen even on stock and has nothing to do with the tune.
Yah they might give you some trouble with that. Are you experiencing the issue right now? I have like 2 months left on my warranty and have been putting off getting my front radiator grills replaced bc of their unwillingness to work on my car for warranty work even though it has a TSB and extended warranty due to the issue being known.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:32 AM   #5
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yah they might give you some trouble with that. Are you experiencing the issue right now? I have like 2 months left on my warranty and have been putting off getting my front radiator grills replaced bc of their unwillingness to work on my car for warranty work even though it has a TSB and extended warranty due to the issue being known.
So my issue is that I’ll try to check the oil level and it’ll start the process and stop at around 16% and everyone is saying it’s the oil pump.

I am gonna go ahead and email 10 different service centers and explain my situation.

Are you tuned? I’ve been seeing these service centers not wanting or willing to help repair any issues easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:37 AM   #6
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So my issue is that I’ll try to check the oil level and it’ll start the process and stop at around 16% and everyone is saying it’s the oil pump.

I am gonna go ahead and email 10 different service centers and explain my situation.

Are you tuned? I’ve been seeing these service centers not wanting or willing to help repair any issues easily.
Yah it seems like you have the problem. Exactly what was described on fb. I've been tuned since 1k miles so I understand your frustration. Nobody wanted to even service my car until I got referred by a nice ex-bmw tech that said its stupid for me to have to pay for a service. Even then I'm more worried about them reflashing the car and having to pay to get my ecu reunlocked. Apparently abnormally high oil pressure is another symptom so maybe run a log with your flasher and see if that's also there.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:23 AM   #7
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yah it seems like you have the problem. Exactly what was described on fb. I've been tuned since 1k miles so I understand your frustration. Nobody wanted to even service my car until I got referred by a nice ex-bmw tech that said its stupid for me to have to pay for a service. Even then I'm more worried about them reflashing the car and having to pay to get my ecu reunlocked. Apparently abnormally high oil pressure is another symptom so maybe run a log with your flasher and see if that's also there.
Yea once they plug your car into ISTA you’re car is automatically locked from what I know. Honestly I wouldn’t mind paying to get unlocked again if they can just take care of my issue.

Yea so i used to get a high oil pressure code but I didn’t think anything of it at the time.

I bought the car at ~32k miles. Tuned at ~35k miles. Now at ~51k miles. Worried that I might’ve caused any premature engine damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 05:38 PM   #8
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea once they plug your car into ISTA you’re car is automatically locked from what I know. Honestly I wouldn’t mind paying to get unlocked again if they can just take care of my issue.

Yea so i used to get a high oil pressure code but I didn’t think anything of it at the time.

I bought the car at ~32k miles. Tuned at ~35k miles. Now at ~51k miles. Worried that I might’ve caused any premature engine damage.
Its not that it automatically locks when plugged into ISTA. ISTA will auto flag the car for potential engine tuning. Its when they update the software or have to reflash it for whatever reason related to the repair or servicing that will relock your DME. Unless you're running an aftermarket turbo really pushing it I wouldn't worry too much about the engine but since you're having the problem I'd look to get the new oil pump onto it as there is someone that blew their engine because the pump went completely. You're looking for part # 11419895359
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #9
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Its not that it automatically locks when plugged into ISTA. ISTA will auto flag the car for potential engine tuning. Its when they update the software or have to reflash it for whatever reason related to the repair or servicing that will relock your DME. Unless you're running an aftermarket turbo really pushing it I wouldn't worry too much about the engine but since you're having the problem I'd look to get the new oil pump onto it as there is someone that blew their engine because the pump went completely. You're looking for part # 11419895359
Oh ok got it. Definitely didn’t know that about ISTA. My warranty is definitely flagged. I went to BMW 6 months ago cuz I blew up the trans lol. They denied the replacement and said I had engine tuning.

I think another option is flashing Mission Performance’s tune. My buddy went to BMW for a Diff replacement and they weren’t able to detect the tune thanks to Alex’s EEPROM Keys software. Might just have him transfer his license to me lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 06:12 PM   #10
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok got it. Definitely didn’t know that about ISTA. My warranty is definitely flagged. I went to BMW 6 months ago cuz I blew up the trans lol. They denied the replacement and said I had engine tuning.

I think another option is flashing Mission Performance’s tune. My buddy went to BMW for a Diff replacement and they weren’t able to detect the tune thanks to Alex’s EEPROM Keys software. Might just have him transfer his license to me lol.
Seems like you're already flagged in the system so switching tunes wouldn't help your case. The diff leaking situation is a known problem for BMW and I've seen multiple tuned people get the diff replaced under warranty as that was a design fault they were willing to admit to. Also how on earth did you blow the trans... what numbers are you putting down?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:06 AM   #11
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Seems like you're already flagged in the system so switching tunes wouldn't help your case. The diff leaking situation is a known problem for BMW and I've seen multiple tuned people get the diff replaced under warranty as that was a design fault they were willing to admit to. Also how on earth did you blow the trans... what numbers are you putting down?
Oh ok. Alright then.

Well…uhhhh…..

Let’s just say I like doing launches. I did one right after another and the car decided to take a dump. Went to bmw they said the tuning influence caused the clutches to be burnt. I also believe the car was abused a bit.

I wasn’t pushing too much power. Around 450whp/500wtq. We limited power just because we knew the trans limitation and wanted to keep it happy. It is what it is. I ended up going with PDS Stage 1 Built Trans.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 11:13 AM   #12
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Yes curious about this as well, hope it turns into a recall or warranty extension, I don’t however think it’s too much to work about, the n55 has a puma regarding the same oil pressure/unable to measure level issue. Bmw also has also already acknowledged the plastic oil pump failures on b58s and did a software update to keep the engine from spinning backwards and damaging the pump.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V598-2797.pdf

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1929593

Read the puma about halfway down on this thread
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1556741
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 03:11 PM   #13
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Update::

I reached out to 6 of my closest BMW Dealerships.

Two of them reached back. One of them said they think BMW will replace the oil level sensor but unlikely to replace the oil pump. If BMW denies repair, they will charge a $220 diagnostic fee. The other said the need to evaluate the vehicle to see. No initial fee

They also said BMW has the right to reserve to decline any repair/service due to the engine tuning.

Really debating going in and just see what bmw says.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #14
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update::

I reached out to 6 of my closest BMW Dealerships.

Two of them reached back. One of them said they think BMW will replace the oil level sensor but unlikely to replace the oil pump. If BMW denies repair, they will charge a $220 diagnostic fee. The other said the need to evaluate the vehicle to see. No initial fee

They also said BMW has the right to reserve to decline any repair/service due to the engine tuning.

Really debating going in and just see what bmw says.
That is a start!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #15
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Found this post on another site. I had to get a replacement motor in my car last February at about 23K miles. They didn't disclose a reason why, but this is probably it.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Found this post on another site. I had to get a replacement motor in my car last February at about 23K miles. They didn't disclose a reason why, but this is probably it.
When they replaced your motor, we’re you stock or did you have a tune or any aftermarket parts?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 05:19 PM   #17
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When they replaced your motor, we’re you stock or did you have a tune or any aftermarket parts?
The only aftermarket parts I had were FTP intake and charge pipe, and Dinan exhaust. No tune. They did check it to make sure.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 11:55 PM   #18
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Geez that is a scary thing. Now I'm wondering if I should just switch pumps for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 12:02 AM   #19
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The only aftermarket parts I had were FTP intake and charge pipe, and Dinan exhaust. No tune. They did check it to make sure.
Before they replaced your motor we’re you having any problems? What were you symptoms?

I’m pretty scared now. Regardless of what my dealership and bmw decides I will replace my oil pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:12 AM   #20
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Before they replaced your motor we’re you having any problems? What were you symptoms?

I’m pretty scared now. Regardless of what my dealership and bmw decides I will replace my oil pump.
I didn’t have any problems or symptoms leading up to failure. I had done an oil change using 5w30 a few months prior and had figured that was the reason the motor died.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 08:08 AM   #21
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn’t have any problems or symptoms leading up to failure. I had done an oil change using 5w30 a few months prior and had figured that was the reason the motor died.
Did you have the vacuum pump recall done? If you have you should be good according to bmw. The engine spinning in a reverse direction was the culprit for damaging the oil/vacuum pump during start up and would cease to function during the next couple of drive cycles. I haven’t heard of any m340, x3, x4, 5 or 7 series oil pump failures since the recall or a few months after the recall. The only ones that you’ll read about recently are x5, x6, and x7 which oddly enough have the same engine but never got the recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #22
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobM340i View Post
Did you have the vacuum pump recall done? If you have you should be good according to bmw. The engine spinning in a reverse direction was the culprit for damaging the oil/vacuum pump during start up and would cease to function during the next couple of drive cycles. I haven’t heard of any m340, x3, x4, 5 or 7 series oil pump failures since the recall or a few months after the recall. The only ones that you’ll read about recently are x5, x6, and x7 which oddly enough have the same engine but never got the recall.
No, I haven’t had that done. I purchased the car with 8K miles on it, so the previous owner may have gotten that taken care of, or the dealership during the certification process.

Appreciate 0