Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Oil Pump issues - 2020 M340

04-30-2023, 09:43 PM   #45
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

My car was manufactured 3/19. Maybe that’s why I haven’t had any issues. My oil measurement worked when I ran it the other day.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:49 PM   #46
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
I’ve noticed just recently my oil level check fails at 21%… worked fine before under the exact same conditions. Scheduled to have it diagnosed and repaired next week. For those who have had this repair done, how many days are you without your car?
Pretty quickly if they have the parts. 9-10 days if they don’t. Should also mention it’s a 10.5-11hr job on xDrive cars. Have to drop the whole subframe.

You could also ask for a loaner if not having a car is an issue.
Appreciate 1
Giggler408.00
      05-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #47
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b58.fazil View Post
Are you having the oil pump issue?
Yes, today i went to check oil level and it went all the way up to 90% before failing… then i tried again and it failed at round 20%. I also noticed that it doesn’t sound the same as it used to while it’s trying to check the oil level. Something is definitely wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #48
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Any car that has the plastic oil pump has the possibility of having the oil measure issue, it’s was a problem on the n55 just as the b58, the only way ur definitely not going to have the oil measure issue is if u have the metal pump. If u can measure the oil when oil temperature is down it is not big deal, all it is, is a little extra wear in the oil pump that causes the upper end of the oil pressure measurement to shoot past the predetermined level that the iDrive system for the oil measurement thinks is acceptable. Say your car hits 3200mbar and the the threshold is 3100mbar then it will fail the oil measure, does it make any actual difference in the performance or reliability of the engine? No it doesn’t, if ur under warranty might as well get it replaced, but if your not under warranty don’t worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #49
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobM340i View Post
It’s any car that has the plastic oil pump, it’s was a problem on the n55 just as the b58, the only way ur not going to have the oil measure issue is if u have the metal pump
I think the main concern is the oil pump cracking and then ending up getting low oil pressure then motor goes kaboom.

MarinTuned, a well known tuner has had 3 motors blow up because of oil pump failures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      05-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #50
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the main concern is the oil pump cracking and then ending up getting low oil pressure then motor goes kaboom.

MarinTuned, a well known tuner has had 3 motors blow up because of oil pump failures.
Ask him when he experienced the oil pump failures? Bmw supposedly recalled at the beginning of 2022, their engineering data showed the reason for the failures was because of the engine spinning backwards during an unusual start up procedure. They re-flash the DME software and it’s supposedly fixed it, I have not heard of any failures of cars that have been recalled since then. And if they were recent did they have the recall done in the first place? N54 and n55 and the pre TU b58 all have plastic oil pumps and generally had no catastrophic failures.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:07 PM   #51
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Bmw did an entire engineering analysis of the oil pump failure on the B58 TU and found the reason of it failing was not because it was plastic, but because the engine spun backwards during certain start scenarios like not pushing all the way on the brake pedal or hitting the start stop button twice quickly when starting. They found it was a problem in the DME tuning and performed a recall to reflash the dme to correct the parameters.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:15 PM   #52
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Yes as you’ve stated before. I understand that it’s a software issue that causes the motor failure.

But he had a 2021 that had motor failure due to the oil pump and I believe they would’ve already implemented the software fix in the 2021.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:21 PM   #53
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/recall-...yota-gr-supra/
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      05-01-2023, 10:23 PM   #54
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes as you’ve stated before. I understand that it’s a software issue that causes the motor failure.

But he had a 2021 that had motor failure due to the oil pump and I believe they would’ve already implemented the software fix in the 2021.
Early 2021s probably still had the bad software
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:09 PM   #55
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Early 2021s probably still had the bad software
I am in contact with Marin so I will be asking him tomorrow whether if the brake recall was performed or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:38 AM   #56
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Due to all this talk of early B58TU oil pumps failing I have reached out to BMW customer relations on the topic. We shall see if they respond...
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #57
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Bmw did an entire engineering analysis of the oil pump failure on the B58 TU and found the reason of it failing was not because it was plastic, but because the engine spun backwards during certain start scenarios like not pushing all the way on the brake pedal or hitting the start stop button twice quickly when starting. They found it was a problem in the DME tuning and performed a recall to reflash the dme to correct the parameters.
I remember reading about this TU and having the software updated very soon after it was announced. At the time, I remember thinking that I had never double tapped the engine start button or lightly pressing break pedal when starting. A few observations on my part to add controversy to the fire.

1. For me, this issue seems to have appeared right after having an oil change at the dealership. Could anything be happening during an oil change to cause this, such as using oil section method to remove old oil?
2. I have experienced throttle input delay (acceleration hesitation) since then also. At anywhere from half to full throttle, again, I experienced this right after oil change (I distinctly remember thinking to myself, “wtf that’s not happened before).

I am literally typing this at dealership lounge waiting for service advisor to report my claim, I will update later on the results.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #58
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I remember reading about this TU and having the software updated very soon after it was announced. At the time, I remember thinking that I had never double tapped the engine start button or lightly pressing break pedal when starting. A few observations on my part to add controversy to the fire.

1. For me, this issue seems to have appeared right after having an oil change at the dealership. Could anything be happening during an oil change to cause this, such as using oil section method to remove old oil?
2. I have experienced throttle input delay (acceleration hesitation) since then also. At anywhere from half to full throttle, again, I experienced this right after oil change (I distinctly remember thinking to myself, “wtf that’s not happened before).

I am literally typing this at dealership lounge waiting for service advisor to report my claim, I will update later on the results.
You can’t remove oil from this engine via a suction method like VW/Audi, because there is no actual dipstick. So are you having actual oil pressure issues and failure or just failing to measure the level? You said the engine sounds different, is it knocking or something?!? When did you have the oil change, recently??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #59
GOTOFMS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Lets say you took delivery of the car before the recall. Is it possible the crankshaft may have spun backwards at some point, leading to fatigue in the plastic component of the pump but not actually causing an immediate failure? I'm just wondering if were driving ticking time bombs.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:28 PM   #60
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You can’t remove oil from this engine via a suction method like VW/Audi, because there is no actual dipstick. So are you having actual oil pressure issues and failure or just failing to measure the level? You said the engine sounds different, is it knocking or something?!? When did you have the oil change, recently??
Thanks for providing insight on the oil suction method, I'm sure it was just a coincidence that this problem emerged directly after oil change procedure. When I talk about engine sounds, I'm specifically talking about the sound it makes during the attempted oil level measure, not the engine sound while using the car to drive. I'll try my best to describe the sound:

In the past, when I would do an engine oil measurement, the car would adjust the idle speed slightly upwards and then you would hear a smooth mechanical whirring noise and it even produces a smooth but barely noticeable vibration that sort of lets you know it's measuring the oil.

Now just recently, when I attempt to do it, it's not quite as smooth and it's almost like there are very faint ticking/inconsistency to the sound and the vibration. From my observation, there is a hint there that something wrong with the mechanical function of the pump.

Service advisor told me they might not be able to put hands on my car today, so this could be another long repair.

This is my fourth non-standard maintenance issue in 4 years.

1. Rear differential leak (repaired under warranty)
2. Some sort of emissions component failure causing a CEL (repaired under warranty)
3. LED lights inside the doors... the wire clips fell off and rattled inside the doors. (Repaired under warranty)
4. Oil pump/measure failure (should be under warranty)

I've got 2 months left on my 4-year warranty and I'm trying to decide if this car has been "reliable" or not given how costly maintenance is.

My biggest concern moving forward are from people talking about the water leak inside the folding mirrors that cause electrical malfunction. I've not experienced this problem but believe it's only a matter of time before it happens to me, and I will definitely be outside of warranty when it eventually happens.

edit: as a side note, i have zero modifications done to my car. it is 100% stock.

Last edited by Giggler; 05-02-2023 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:46 PM   #61
JacobM340i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTOFMS View Post
Lets say you took delivery of the car before the recall. Is it possible the crankshaft may have spun backwards at some point, leading to fatigue in the plastic component of the pump but not actually causing an immediate failure? I'm just wondering if were driving ticking time bombs.
It says in the recall that it will most likely fail in the next several drive cycles if it is damaged. If you bought a used m340and have driven it several thousand miles I would say you are probably safe in that regard. If it’s been over a year then ur definitely good in that regard, if it was damaged a year ago it would have already failed most likely.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2023, 05:39 PM   #62
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

I have a 3/2019 build and it always fails at 16-20%.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #63
arjun_3421
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Xdrive

Just got my oil pump replaced.

2020/No mods/35k miles.

I noticed that the oil measurement didn't complete when I was around 25k miles but I overlooked it assuming that it could be a software issue!

Took it to the dealer as soon as I saw this thread.

Attaching the tech notes if someone is interested to understand how it was diagnosed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-03-2023, 05:47 PM   #64
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It says in the recall that it will most likely fail in the next several drive cycles if it is damaged. If you bought a used m340and have driven it several thousand miles I would say you are probably safe in that regard. If it’s been over a year then ur definitely good in that regard, if it was damaged a year ago it would have already failed most likely.
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 05:49 PM   #65
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for providing insight on the oil suction method, I'm sure it was just a coincidence that this problem emerged directly after oil change procedure. When I talk about engine sounds, I'm specifically talking about the sound it makes during the attempted oil level measure, not the engine sound while using the car to drive. I'll try my best to describe the sound:

In the past, when I would do an engine oil measurement, the car would adjust the idle speed slightly upwards and then you would hear a smooth mechanical whirring noise and it even produces a smooth but barely noticeable vibration that sort of lets you know it's measuring the oil.

Now just recently, when I attempt to do it, it's not quite as smooth and it's almost like there are very faint ticking/inconsistency to the sound and the vibration. From my observation, there is a hint there that something wrong with the mechanical function of the pump.

Service advisor told me they might not be able to put hands on my car today, so this could be another long repair.

This is my fourth non-standard maintenance issue in 4 years.

1. Rear differential leak (repaired under warranty)
2. Some sort of emissions component failure causing a CEL (repaired under warranty)
3. LED lights inside the doors... the wire clips fell off and rattled inside the doors. (Repaired under warranty)
4. Oil pump/measure failure (should be under warranty)

I've got 2 months left on my 4-year warranty and I'm trying to decide if this car has been "reliable" or not given how costly maintenance is.

My biggest concern moving [...]
The rear diff leak is normal. You just have to replace the cap which is very inexpensive.

I haven’t experienced any of these problems aside from the oil pump, and diff leak. The 2022 and 2023 m340i’s seem to have no problems whatsoever. Seems like bmw have learned and taken care of everything they need to.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 05:52 PM   #66
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJungatron View Post
Due to all this talk of early B58TU oil pumps failing I have reached out to BMW customer relations on the topic. We shall see if they respond...
I guarantee they won’t…

Once and if they do respond and acknowledge this issue it opens the floodgates for everyone to open a claim with NHTSA and would mean a national recall for 2020. Which would mean a lot of loss for bmw and they don’t want that.
Appreciate 0