Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum My G20 is being held at port due to a recall

08-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #67
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I believe this may be BMW's New Jersey port facility:

https://goo.gl/maps/fSkXdnzf2G7pnLTd9
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #68
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
I believe this may be BMW's New Jersey port facility:

https://goo.gl/maps/fSkXdnzf2G7pnLTd9
Yep! That's it! Looks like all vehicles are stored outdoors... subject to all the elements: salt air, air pollution (sorry NJ), weather (sun beating down, thunderstorms), etc.!!

BMW's can take it, right? Total "curing" of the paint job!!

Here's the signage in front....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #69
hughj1976
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW

6 x G20 320i M Sport on hold

Guys,

We have six G20 320i M Sports on hold in the UK. These are company cars from BMWs UK stock and are being supplied through a lease company. Cars are located at Inchcape BMW dealership in Sunderland.

Last communication suggested they would be delivered in late September, this changed today to Early October. On hold for rear headrest issue.

Frustrating for us and the lease company, due to lack of communication from BMW on potential release dates. Especially when cars are sitting at dealership.

Will update this thread with any progress reports from BMW......The wait continues!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #70
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughj1976 View Post
Guys,

We have six G20 320i M Sports on hold in the UK. These are company cars from BMWs UK stock and are being supplied through a lease company. Cars are located at Inchcape BMW dealership in Sunderland.

Last communication suggested they would be delivered in late September, this changed today to Early October. On hold for rear headrest issue.

Frustrating for us and the lease company, due to lack of communication from BMW on potential release dates. Especially when cars are sitting at dealership.

Will update this thread with any progress reports from BMW......The wait continues!!
So this begs the question, how are they producing and delivering new cars now? Clearly they identified and made sure the new cars have an updated headrest. Why would they not prioritize the ones sitting and waiting at the ports? Really irritating...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #71
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
So this begs the question, how are they producing and delivering new cars now? Clearly they identified and made sure the new cars have an updated headrest. Why would they not prioritize the ones sitting and waiting at the ports? Really irritating...

It might be better to CANCEL the order for the current car and place an order for a new one... might arrive sooner!!

Or just give up on a special order car and take one from dealer's stock!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #72
Jmatt07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I don't know if it's because of the headrest issue or not but I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago and it's still sitting at order received. So the new ones are getting delayed too
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #73
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughj1976 View Post
Guys,

You can call me paranoid or the purveyor of conspiracy theories, but all this sounds too fishy to me 🎣. All these cars worldwide are being held up because of a little-used head rest that might break under load. Perhaps that’s just an innocuous little defect to keep us distracted from something far more serious.

My status doc says, “Work Order Started 08/09/2019.” WORK ORDER??? What work is being done? Verifying that the part is defective? Are they trying to tell us that a small part like that can’t be replaced quickly? I’ll bet there are dozens of qualified manufacturers worldwide that can produce the part!

And now we see “hughj1976” in the UK with the same issue... with a tentative resolution being pushed forward to October!! Something’s not right... we’re not getting the whole story.

Sorry, guys! That’s my rant for today! I hope I’m wrong!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #74
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried8d View Post
You can call me paranoid or the purveyor of conspiracy theories, but all this sounds too fishy to me 🎣. All these cars worldwide are being held up because of a little-used head rest that might break under load. Perhaps that’s just an innocuous little defect to keep us distracted from something far more serious.

My status doc says, “Work Order Started 08/09/2019.” WORK ORDER??? What work is being done? Verifying that the part is defective? Are they trying to tell us that a small part like that can’t be replaced quickly? I’ll bet there are dozens of qualified manufacturers worldwide that can produce the part!

And now we see “hughj1976” in the UK with the same issue... with a tentative resolution being pushed forward to October!! Something’s not right... we’re not getting the whole story.

Sorry, guys! That’s my rant for today! I hope I’m wrong!!
Thank goodness you ranted saves me the trouble of doing it myself. LOL. In the time they've taken they could put the car back on the boat to Germany, install it at the factory, and re-ship it back out the U.S. faster than they've done just the headrest alone. Crazy!

My own mini rant out of the way...I'm actually looking forward to an update from Hilly330 this weekend. His dealer gave him the earliest car availability estimate that I've seen (8/23-8/24). Hoping he'll have good news to share.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #75
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
I don't know if it's because of the headrest issue or not but I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago and it's still sitting at order received. So the new ones are getting delayed too
This is actually encouraging, the bigger the issue, the more urgency it will have. I rather everyone have an issue than a couple hundred cars sitting at the bottom of everyone's priority list.

I can't cancel, I've got parts piled up in the garage awaiting installation
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #76
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep

Cabby:
“I can't cancel, I've got parts piled up in the garage awaiting installation”

By any chance, does that pile of parts include any of our head rests? 😂 😂 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #77
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried8d View Post
Cabby:
“I can't cancel, I've got parts piled up in the garage awaiting installation”

By any chance, does that pile of parts include any of our head rests? �� �� ��
Painted pieces, grilles, wheels, reflectors, trim, carbon fiber, etc, etc...

no headrests
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #78
joeluch
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
Jmatte, it is delayed because the factory is closed for holiday the last two weeks until 8/26

My car is currently in initial production, so not sure yet if this recall will have any impact, waiting to see what updates I get next week once the factory is back online.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #79
MrBMWDK
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M-Sport aut.

Somehow my local BMW dealer managed to find a solution to my car, which means that I was able to pick up my new car today (incl. a new headrest).

Lovely BMW G20 320i M-Sport in Mineral white! Have only driven it about 40 km, but it sure does feel special!

Mine was dealyed some time too and it wasn't a pleasant wait, but I do promise you guys - it was worth the wait!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #80
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBMWDK View Post
Somehow my local BMW dealer managed to find a solution to my car, which means that I was able to pick up my new car today (incl. a new headrest).

Lovely BMW G20 320i M-Sport in Mineral white! Have only driven it about 40 km, but it sure does feel special!

Mine was dealyed some time too and it wasn't a pleasant wait, but I do promise you guys - it was worth the wait!

Congrats!! That's great news!! In Denmark you're much closer to Germany than many of us on this board. If you hear of any secrets, please let us know!! Btw, my order is for Alpine White... I couldn't make up my mind between Alpine and Mineral... I think I'm jealous now... your car looks so beautiful in Mineral!! Best wishes with your new beast!! Many happy (s)miles!!

PS- Hold on to Greenland!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #81
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Really, did you have the headrest recall?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #82
Dmejia91
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335 xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Quote:
Really, did you have the headrest recall?
I feel like everyone has this issue and it's not being handled accordingly. There should be better updates and not have to use a third party website to retrieve these details.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:44 AM   #83
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive

Interesting...conflicting information:
Recall Status: Recall incomplete, remedy not yet available
vs.
Remedy: Rear center headrest will be replaced.

When I pop my VIN into the BMWUSA recall search it just mentions the latter.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #84
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by driesman View Post
vs.

It is not conflicting information. The remedy is to replace the headrest, but the headrest is not available, thus "remedy is not available" even though they know *what* the remedy is.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #85
Hilly330
Rep
Drives: BMW M 330i

Today I received my 330i m sport with the replaced headrest. I do expect solutions in other parts of the world as well. All 3 series which were on hold at my dealer have been delivered. The exact issue with the headrest are still unclear but just the solution is most important. Please do not cancel your orders as the car is absolutly great. Far above expectations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #86
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I'd assume the availability of a replacement part is highly dependent upon the material type and color of the headrest. Do both of the above cars have black SensaTec seating?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #87
siegfried8d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by driesman View Post
vs.

The longer this “head rest” situation remains unresolved, the less credible BMW becomes!! The lack of substantive communication about this is suspicious!! They should be reaching out to their customers instead of just taking them for granted!! They could at least tell us what exactly is being done to promptly get this thing fixed, instead of just pushing the “resolution” date further and further into the future!! With the enormity of BMW, this is simply unforgivable!! Shameful and inconsiderate!!

I think it is at crisis level when a company is at a standstill, not able to ship, deliver, or sell certain cars because of a suspected “safety” detail that may or may not actually exist (if indeed they are being totally truthful about the cause of delay). And somewhere in BMW, a few folks could temporarily postpone their August holiday to deal with this mess!!

If I ever get this car, it will be my 4th BMW. This is no way to treat loyal customers, or any customer!! My previous 3 BMWs were all special order cars as well, with uneventful, timely deliveries... so maybe my expectations are too high!!

(Sorry, guys... just so frustrated, as I’m hoping to enjoy this car a bit before the snow flies here in NY!)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #88
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly330 View Post
Today I received my 330i m sport with the replaced headrest. I do expect solutions in other parts of the world as well. All 3 series which were on hold at my dealer have been delivered. The exact issue with the headrest are still unclear but just the solution is most important. Please do not cancel your orders as the car is absolutly great. Far above expectations.
Thanks for the update! Good to hear you got an estimate from your dealer and they were able to meet it.

Now if only if could get an estimate...
Appreciate 0