Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

08-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #133
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lausc View Post
On top of the trunk and at the bottom of the glass. I actually read on some other replied in this thread you can remove it entirely, but for my case just some lubricant did the trick.
My car just started making this noise. Upon inspection, I could tell that this piece of trim had been greased at the factory. I cleaned off this piece of trim with a rag, and upon removal of all the existing grease, the noise is now elevated. And because this piece of trim is meant to serve a purpose, I don't want to take it to a dealership and have them remove it.

Observation 1: The sound seems to have been associated with the breaking-in of the car. I can pinpoint when the sound started. On the way home from a long road trip on Sunday, I was ALMOST home and my bladder felt like it was going to explode. So in my haste, I gave it full throttle on the road near my neighborhood, and then turning into my neighborhood, the sound suddenly appeared and was super obvious. It was completely quiet during the entire trip until that point. So I can literally pinpoint the noise to before full throttle and after full throttle. So I think throttling the car aggressively caused some body panels to settle in and apply some additional pressure on the rubber trim piece... possibly even stripping away the existing lubricant.

Observation 2: Only the very thin lip of the rubber that borders the felt and creates the seal is making contact with the trunk. Lubricating the entire lower/outer rubber area would be pointless as the exterior part of the rubber does not make contact with anything.

So given that we're dealing with a thin sliver of rubber here, greases/lubricants such as WD-40 are not viscous enough to last, so you will probably need to re-apply regularly if this is your preferred solution.

So here's my attempt at a solution: I am going to try applying the thickest rubber-to-metal grease I can think of... and that of course is brake grease. I am going to apply it to the rubber lip and also to a small portion of the felt where it borders the rubber in hopes that the pressure of the trunk against the rubber/felt together will create continuity.

The product I am going to use: https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...4oz/752442_0_0

This product is specifically meant for rubber to metal contact points so I will start with this and see how it goes.
Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #134
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaq44 View Post
Keep us updated!
First update is I'm going with a different type of grease... same brand but I think a different viscosity. They might actually be identical, but the bottle itself advertises use for trunk seals and weather stripping vs specifically for brakes. So I'm erring on the side of caution and buying the more specific product which will arrive Friday.

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubri...web_2581828011
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00
      08-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #135
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Ordered some foam tape, will apply to the rubber trim and post my findings. Interesting thing is that I covered the entire trim in painter's tape and the squeaking sound was still very obvious.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #136
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
My car just started making this noise. Upon inspection, I could tell that this piece of trim had been greased at the factory. I cleaned off this piece of trim with a rag, and upon removal of all the existing grease, the noise is now elevated. And because this piece of trim is meant to serve a purpose, I don't want to take it to a dealership and have them remove it.

Observation 1: The sound seems to have been associated with the breaking-in of the car. I can pinpoint when the sound started. On the way home from a long road trip on Sunday, I was ALMOST home and my bladder felt like it was going to explode. So in my haste, I gave it full throttle on the road near my neighborhood, and then turning into my neighborhood, the sound suddenly appeared and was super obvious. It was completely quiet during the entire trip until that point. So I can literally pinpoint the noise to before full throttle and after full throttle. So I think throttling the car aggressively caused some body panels to settle in and apply some additional pressure on the rubber trim piece... possibly even stripping away the existing lubricant.

Observation 2: Only the very thin lip of the rubber that borders the felt and creates the seal is making contact with the trunk. Lubricating the entire lower/outer rubber area would be pointless as the exterior part of the rubber does not make contact with anything.

So given that we're dealing with a thin sliver of rubber here, greases/lubricants such as WD-40 are not viscous enough to last, so you will probably need to re-apply regularly if this is your preferred solution.

So here's my attempt at a solution: I am going to try applying the thickest rubber-to-metal grease I can think of... and that of course is brake grease. I am going to apply it to the rubber lip and also to a small portion of the felt where it borders the rubber in hopes that the pressure of the trunk against the rubber/felt together will create continuity.

The product I am going to use: https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...4oz/752442_0_0

This product is specifically meant for rubber to metal contact points so I will start with this and see how it goes.
You are right about WD-40. It does the trick for a couple of weeks but then you need to reapply it. I need to find something better myself. May try that grease stick.
Appreciate 1
TWD177574.50
      08-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #137
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
Ordered some foam tape, will apply to the rubber trim and post my findings. Interesting thing is that I covered the entire trim in painter's tape and the squeaking sound was still very obvious.
Curious about this too...let me know if foam tape helps. Are you putting it only on that rubber piece at the top of the trunk opening?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #138
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Curious about this too...let me know if foam tape helps. Are you putting it only on that rubber piece at the top of the trunk opening?
I will stick it to the entire length where it makes contact with the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #139
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
First update is I'm going with a different type of grease... same brand but I think a different viscosity. They might actually be identical, but the bottle itself advertises use for trunk seals and weather stripping vs specifically for brakes. So I'm erring on the side of caution and buying the more specific product which will arrive Friday.

I just purchased this one. It looks exactly like what I need. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Giggler405.50
      08-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #140
BrentD
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport

I applied WD-40 but it only lasted a few days. And I needed to re-apply it after every wash.

I have since applied felt tape to the rubber and have not heard any noises since.

I just don't know how long the felt tape will last and it doesn't stick to the rubber as well as it should...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #141
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
The speaker cover is rattling. Is this a DIY fix? How do I remove the center speaker cover?
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #142
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It worked! Will post pics shortly.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #143
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Solution for center speaker rattle:

Cause: frequency of 175Hz causes the plastic grate to vibrate. The sound is created due to lack of silencing material around plastic contact points

Solution: remove grate add silencing material to cover contact points.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #144
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This fixed the problem!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can see the indentation made on the foam by the rubber strip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #145
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post

Cause: frequency of 175Hz causes the plastic grate to vibrate. The sound is created due to lack of silencing material around plastic contact points

I only notice the rattle when I am accelerating in sport plus is this common?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #146
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Quote:

Yes, there are many reports of the same rattle and it always seems to be under hard acceleration in sport or sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #147
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Just a quick response here, I bought and applied this product and it works so well I can now here the ACTUAL rattle which is the driver side window is loose. Other than that, the car is quiet as a mouse!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #148
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

My vehicle has a constant light rattling sound which seems to be originating from the center rear of the vehicle, somewhere near or around the rear speakers perhaps. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly. Sounds similar to what many on here are experiencing . Considering taking it in to dealership service department for them to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #149
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Just a quick response here, I bought and applied this product and it works so well I can now here the ACTUAL rattle which is the driver side window is loose. Other than that, the car is quiet as a mouse!
Confirmed on my side also the Sil-Glyde works perfectly. I used a dollar store toothbrush to apply it across the trim. In hindsight, I should have only applied it to the areas where it was rubbing, not the whole trim piece.... future project I suppose. But problem solved for now and no rattles.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00
      09-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #150
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Quote:

Yes, there are many reports of the same rattle and it always seems to be under hard acceleration in sport or sport plus.

Follow up:

For more detail on discovering the source and the solution

Discovery Process:

Step 1: I downloaded a free frequency generator app from the App Store

Step 2: Connected to the car via Bluetooth (connection via usb works, the goal is to play sound through the speaker)

Step 3: music will automatically start playing - pause it and open the frequency generator app.

Step 4: Turn vehicle volume to about 70%-75% of max.

Step 5: start playing frequency beginning at 100Hz - 200Hz around 170Hz the center speaker cover will begin to vibrate.

Solution:
1. Pop off the speaker cover (start by lifting at the corner, it will pop off fairly easy.
2. Place felt or cloth tape on the uppermost tab of the plastic cover (the tab that is closest to the windscreen)
3. Put the speaker cover back on, and you are good to go.
Appreciate 2
Delija40.50
Giggler405.50
      09-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #151
trowe66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Any tips on how to get the speaker cover off?

Quote:
Follow up:

For more detail on discovering the source and the solution

Discovery Process:

Step 1: I downloaded a free frequency generator app from the App Store

Step 2: Connected to the car via Bluetooth (connection via usb works, the goal is to play sound through the speaker)

Step 3: music will automatically start playing - pause it and open the frequency generator app.

Step 4: Turn vehicle volume to about 70%-75% of max.

Step 5: start playing frequency beginning at 100Hz - 200Hz around 170Hz the center speaker cover will begin to vibrate.

Solution:
1. Pop off the speaker cover (start by lifting at the corner, it will pop off fairly easy.
2. Place felt or cloth tape on the uppermost tab of the plastic cover (the tab that is closest to the windscreen)
3. Put the speaker cover back on, and you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #152
gnr4all
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowe66 View Post
Any tips on how to get the speaker cover off?
Hey, I posted instructions on how to do it with pictures. You can see it at this thread:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652142
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #153
ChillyWizard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I M-Sport 2019 (G20)

@CyclingBroStyle

@CyclingBroStyle

Same car, same problem, did you find out what it was in the end mate?
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #154
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWizard View Post
@CyclingBroStyle

Same car, same problem, did you find out what it was in the end mate?
Have you read the thread?