Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) M340i - Driving without grill for 2-3 days

07-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
miked1999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
M340i - Driving without grill for 2-3 days

Initially, I was one of the haters.... but in person & especially on sapphire black, the M340i mesh grill is fierce AF and I love it. Now that we have that out of the way, I was hoping ya'll could weigh in...

Because 1.) I'm too impatient to wait for a Shadowline (OEM Mesh style) grill to be stocked by aftermarket suppliers, I've found a body shop to paint the Cerium Gray areas on the grill. I'm going Gloss Black for $200...And 2.) because my wife is threatening divorce if I don't quit investing in this car, I'm going to cut corners & remove & reattach the grill myself, creating a net cost savings of at least $150 because these body shop bastards believe the f'ing entire FRONT BUMPER needs to be removed to enable the grill to come off the car! Bastard$! I'm generally comfortable removing the grill and have done it twice on my other BMW's. I also don't have a front camera which is hopefully even easier.

Sidenote- I'm not interested in Dipping or Wrapping. Done it before on other cars, and decided against it this time around.

My plan is to remove and leave the grill at the shop...then pick it up in 2-3 days once the paint is dry. .

Besides the car looking pathetically incomplete, are there any risks I should consider? I assume the vents will remain attached to the body and function normally at ALL speeds? I honestly have no idea but it's difficult to imagine a grill has any real functionality...besides looking sexy, of course.

Am I safe to drive grillless for a few days?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
G1Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport

I think you would be fine honestly. Being one of the first people to own a G20 330i, I painted my chrome grill almost immediately after picking up the vehicle, but the final product wasnít so great, so I recently ordered a shadowline grill and it looks absolutely stunning, all at the cost of $150 for the grill and I installed it myself. I did not find any thread for removing the grills and if Iím not wrong, the piece that you need painted has no moving components, the grill that opens up while in high speeds or sport mode still remains intact when you remove the grill. I think thatís the part that is associated with cooling and such, so I wouldnít worry too much if you were missing just the part of the grill you can remove with minimal effort.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Persius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330

Think you would be fine but maybe just don't drive it much?

Anyone have a clue when the Shadowline (OEM Mesh style) grill will be available via bmw for NA?

Can you post photos when this is done i'd like to see how it came out!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Sapphire Black M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persius View Post

Anyone have a clue when the Shadowline (OEM Mesh style) grill will be available via bmw for NA?

Yeah. I'm interested in oem shadowine mesh and not the slat version...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
ssadri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

If BMW isn't planing on releasing the M340i version of the grille in the shadow line variation, does anyone have a suggestion if painting the current cerium grey material to gloss black is durable in the long run?
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Persius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330

It's available in other markets like Canada.. I've seen many post it on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
ssadri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
It's available in other markets like Canada.. I've seen many post it on this forum.
It is a available in select markets like Canada when you purchase the vehicle with the shadow line options but currently even in those markets, you can not purchase the shadow line parts separately.
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #8
senderhomes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg238 View Post
Quote:

Yeah. I'm interested in oem shadowine mesh and not the slat version...
Painted with auto dip. Overall it looks great. The color almost matches the Saffire black. You have to layer it heavy. Multiple coats
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:43 AM   #9
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadri View Post
If BMW isn't planing on releasing the M340i version of the grille in the shadow line variation, does anyone have a suggestion if painting the current cerium grey material to gloss black is durable in the long run?
I attempted to order one - None in Germany or U.S.

Just took a VIN from a vehicle for sale in Canada and looked up the part...

Now that I think of it, I didn't even check to see if it had the camera option or not (mine doesn't) lol.... Oh well, we'll see if/when it shows up