Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Comfort Plus no difference to Comfort

10-21-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
BMW_M340i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G21

Question Comfort Plus no difference to Comfort

Hi,
I have programmed the Comfort Plus mode via BimmerCode. However, I can not see any difference from the normal comfort mode. Suspension comfort, steering wheel, gas pedal, all the same.
What could be the reason? My M340i/G21 has the adaptive suspension and is late 2019 build.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M340i View Post
Hi,
I have programmed the Comfort Plus mode via BimmerCode. However, I can not see any difference from the normal comfort mode. Suspension comfort, steering wheel, gas pedal, all the same.
What could be the reason? My M340i/G21 has the adaptive suspension and is late 2019 build.
First things first - do you notice a significant difference between Sport & Comfort?
If you don't - then either your Adaptive Suspension is not working or your roads are so smooth that there is nothing to notice
If you do - then we know your systems are working

However, the change from Comfort to Comfort Plus is much more subtle than the change from Sport to Comfort.
My family wouldn't detect the difference (or care less for that matter) - but I could feel the difference as soon as the last RSU was installed (wiping my coding) - and had to make BimmerCode my next priority.
My daily commute covers many grades of road - and I know where each ridge, dip, raised/dropped drain, broken surface, camber change, etc are located - so I have become very attuned to the ride quality (probably bordering anal ). YMMV

Regards, Mike (loving Comfort+)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
First things first - do you notice a significant difference between Sport & Comfort?
If you don't - then either your Adaptive Suspension is not working or your roads are so smooth that there is nothing to notice

However, the change from Comfort to Comfort Plus is much more subtle than the change from Sport to Comfort.
My family wouldn't detect the difference (or care less for that matter) - but I could feel the difference as soon as the last RSU was installed (wiping my coding) - and had to make BimmerCode my next priority.
My daily commute covers many grades of road - and I know where each ridge, dip, raised/dropped drain, broken surface, camber change, etc are located - so I have become very attuned to the ride quality (probably bordering anal ). YMMV

Didn’t someone here check the suspension values of Comfort and Comfor Plus and figure out that they were identical for both modes? So the only thing Comfort Plus was affecting was the throttle response, transmission, and engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
Didn’t someone here check the suspension values of Comfort and Comfor Plus and figure out that they were identical for both modes? So the only thing Comfort Plus was affecting was the throttle response, transmission, and engine?
I remember someone showing the different values for Sport & Comfort - as it helped another member determine that their system was inactive - never did find out if they got it sorted.

If someone has got the Comfort & Comfort+ angles - I'd like to see it as well. I understand that something like BimmerUtility can show the values - but I don't have that, and I'm not really willing to pay for something I'd probably use once

I usually look at any post / thread that mentions Coding or Comfort - just out of interest, but maybe the information got passed me - wouldn't be the first time

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:17 AM   #5
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

You can really tell the difference between Comfort and Comfort Plus on the suspension if you drive over a traffic calming hump. Comfort Plus wallows and rocks front to back!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 04:13 AM   #6
BMW_M340i
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I can feel the difference in the suspension instantly. There is a big difference from comfort to sport.

After programming I had the feeling that the suspension is softer in Comfort Plus. But after a few comparisons to Comfort I now think it was rather placebo

I have tried to display the values of the dampers in BimmerLink, but I have not found any value...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:48 AM   #7
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

BimmerLink has 2 sensor values:
* Damper setpoint in degrees
* Actual damper value in degrees
But I found the updating seemed a bit flakey.
But you could try ..

ProTool works better and can log "Current EDC valve" (for each wheel) but a limitation in ProTool is that logging can only be done from one module at a time.
(I see no use for Comfort+, so I can't help you there.
I have adaptive driving mode active as standard, but since the damper current, according to ProTool, always changes I think it will require some test drive with repeated logging to determine differences.
In sport the current seems to more often go to high values, but I was satisfied knowing it regulates in all driving modes, but you have to drive for it to bother. Examples attached from both tools.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 12:02 PM   #8
BMW_M340i
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
BimmerLink has 2 sensor values:
* Damper setpoint in degrees
* Actual damper value in degrees
But I found the updating seemed a bit flakey.
But you could try ..

ProTool works better and can log "Current EDC valve" (for each wheel) ..
Thanks, I will try ProTool. In BimmerLink I don't have the damper values.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:43 PM   #9
narvi21
Rep
Drives: BMW 330eX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330eX  [10.00]
I also programmed Comfort+, and can only repeat what srbs73 was writing: you can feel the difference especially if you drive over a speed bump.
Then you feel that the damping is much softer, the chassis is allowed to swing more.

We should not forget, that only the dampers are adaptive, not the springs.
So any imperfections on the road you will still feel the same way no matter in Sport, Comfort or Comfort+, as the springs are relatively stiff. (Much stiffer than they were in the F series in my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 10:14 PM   #10
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Agree with narvi above.

I think the expectation is that this mode will transform the car into a Lexus.

In order to get between M3 Comp to Cadillac like suspension, you really have to go to an air suspension system.

For what it’s worth I coded this, biggest difference I noticed was, it’s much more pleasant on the throttle response. Not as “jumpy”
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #11
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

Quote:

Im thinking on code it on mi 2020 g21, dont have adaptative suspension, but if coasting mode is disabled and throttle response is between sport and comfort, will do.
On Comfort+ coasting mode is disabled?
Appreciate 0