Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications First Post - AWE Help?!

09-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
Daily_Dravit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

First Post - AWE Help?!

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Have had my 2020 M340i for about 4 weeks now. Will catch you guys up on the details, pics, mods, etc that have happened already (there are plenty), but first need help on my exhaust installed. Put on an AWE Touring non-res and am on the fence about it honestly. Maybe I'm just getting older, but even the touring is louder than I think I want. Everything online suggests that non res is the only way to go with stock DP and touring, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard stock DP, resonated, and touring? Is it significantly quieter? I just miss the stock exhaust going almost completely quiet in comfort/eco but still sounding incredible, if not just a tad muffled in sport. And its a 2020 so the stock exhaust sounded pretty great.

Long story short, I'm debating between keeping it as it, asking AWE to order resonated pipes, or putting stock exhaust back on and selling the non-res touring black diamond kit all together. I dont know if I can post yet on classifieds since this is my first post, but if anyone would want it for 2k (prefer local but shipped on your expense). That would be a little over 500 off of retail and I've literally had it on the car for 50 miles. If someone is interested, it might make my decision easier. Thanks all. Looking forward to sharing more about the car and in the community!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep

I have the exam same setup as you and personally for me it is absolutely perfect.
I don’t like super loud exhausts and this is exactly that. Not too loud

I don’t have a tune or anything like that but if you would like sound clips of mine let me know and I can send them over!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you switch to resonated, it's noticeably quieter but still better than stock with a deeper tone.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
Daily_Dravit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I recommend you switch to resonated, it's noticeably quieter but still better than stock with a deeper tone.
I'm going to keep driving it and see if I get used to it. Yesterday it seemed quieter (or i was just getting used to it), so that gave me hope. Just stinks that the resonated pipes are another 600. Maybe someone on here would want the non res pipes and I could recover some of that sunk cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
malibuboats91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily_Dravit View Post
Quote:
I'm going to keep driving it and see if I get used to it. Yesterday it seemed quieter (or i was just getting used to it), so that gave me hope. Just stinks that the resonated pipes are another 600. Maybe someone on here would want the non res pipes and I could recover some of that sunk cost.
I've had AWE on my past two cars. Their sound tends to change over the first 1k miles or so. I hated the sound on my VW GLI and after break in it was perfect.

Slightly off topic, but how did install go on jack stands? I had the same system in order but cancelled it due to buying a new house and not having access to a lift anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Daily_Dravit
Private First Class
Rep

I had AWE on my S5 and seem to remember it mellowing out after a bit of break in. Install really isn’t bad, even on the jack stands. Easier with a buddy of course but you can get it done in a couple of hours max.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily_Dravit View Post
Let us know how it goes

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 04:27 AM   #8
welikefujika
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

If you are thinking of letting it go I’d be interested.

Also how is the droning?

Last edited by welikefujika; 10-14-2022 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
Daily_Dravit
Private First Class
Rep

There's almost zero drone. At highway speeds, you don't hear the exhaust at all. And as of now, I think I'm going to keep it. Between it settling in, and me getting used to it, I think i'm comfortable with it now.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      03-15-2024, 08:58 AM   #10
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Now that you've had the exhaust for a few years (assuming you kept it on and still have the car, of course), what are your long-term thoughts? I'm debating on the exact same exhaust for my '21.

Thanks

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:28 AM   #11
1Smoog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
Now that you've had the exhaust for a few years (assuming you kept it on and still have the car, of course), what are your long-term thoughts? I'm debating on the exact same exhaust for my '21.

Thanks
Hey I know you're looking for a long-term opinion but I got the AWE non-res touring on my '21 about a month ago and have put about 500 miles on it so far. The sound is excellent if you want a loud-ish exhaust. When you step on it in comfort, you can definitely hear the exhaust and at highway speeds it's not completely quiet like stock. I will say, the exhaust is incredible though and burbles a lot in sports plus. Downshifts and upshifts sound super nice. Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87670.00
      03-15-2024, 11:27 AM   #12
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Smoog View Post
Hey I know you're looking for a long-term opinion but I got the AWE non-res touring on my '21 about a month ago and have put about 500 miles on it so far. The sound is excellent if you want a loud-ish exhaust. When you step on it in comfort, you can definitely hear the exhaust and at highway speeds it's not completely quiet like stock. I will say, the exhaust is incredible though and burbles a lot in sports plus. Downshifts and upshifts sound super nice. Hope that helps
Any feedback is appreciated as I deep dive into researching the hell out of this exhaust, which is what I normally do when making a significant purchase. Watching all the videos and reading up on it as much as I can. From everything I've seen/heard/read, I'm about 99.9999% sold.

Appreciate your input!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Smoog View Post

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:26 PM   #14
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Had resonated on pre lci (2020) m340i. Although I would have preferred a louder setup, this one was absolutely amazing, no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:43 PM   #15
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

op,

Sounds like you would benefit from a valved system instead of having to choose one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:38 AM   #16
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 330i, '24 M340i (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
op,

Sounds like you would benefit from a valved system instead of having to choose one or the other.
Here comes the sales pitch. j/k

AWE Touring resonated is on my shopping wishlist along with the Valvetronic Designs and MAD exhausts for my incoming M340.

I've watched all the YT videos available but there aren't that many. Next would be to try to listen in person to any or all 3 of them.

MAD has the edge in price, but the AWE sounds deeper and smoother. Valvetronic releases the most videos of their products. I wish more brands did that.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:35 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenNine View Post

AWE Touring resonated is on my shopping wishlist along with the Valvetronic Designs and MAD exhausts for my incoming M340.

i'll be more subtle than Anthony, When do you plan on getting an exhaust?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 02:42 PM   #18
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

I've watched all the YT videos available but there aren't that many. Next would be to try to listen in person to any or all 3 of them.

MAD has the edge in price, but the AWE sounds deeper and smoother. Valvetronic releases the most videos of their products. I wish more brands did that.
I didn't even mention our exhaust Op mention he wanted quiet and also loud at times but he chose a non valved system.

Coming from a bunch of cars that never had valves I could never go back. I love options!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:37 PM   #19
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

i'll be more subtle than Anthony, When do you plan on getting an exhaust?
When my car gets here and when there are nice discounts on the options I'm interested in.

I have a few questions for you. Is the MK5 Supra exhaust same/similar sound as the M340s? There are a lot more videos of the AWE resonated Touring exhaust on Supras. And from those videos the sound seems similar to the M340s. Is that the case in person as well? I know burbles are toned down (don't like them anyway), but I'm curious about the tone and smoothness of the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
I didn't even mention our exhaust Op mention he wanted quiet and also loud at times but he chose a non valved system.

Coming from a bunch of cars that never had valves I could never go back. I love options!
I doubt you were gonna mention another brand's dual valve exhaust. Your pitch was subtle though.
Anyway, it was just a joke, so no need to explain your reply. I love options too. I hope you guys have more videos of your exhaust in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 01:50 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When my car gets here and when there are nice discounts on the options I'm interested in.

I have a few questions for you. Is the MK5 Supra exhaust same/similar sound as the M340s? There are a lot more videos of the AWE resonated Touring exhaust on Supras. And from those videos the sound seems similar to the M340s. Is that the case in person as well? I know burbles are toned down (don't like them anyway), but I'm curious about the tone and smoothness of the sound.
i never compared them side by side with the same setup on both cars. i feel the sound is similar but the supra is a little bit louder on high RPM with some rasp. the BMW has a cleaner sound.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:00 PM   #21
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i never compared them side by side with the same setup on both cars. i feel the sound is similar but the supra is a little bit louder on high RPM with some rasp. the BMW has a cleaner sound.
Cleaner sound is what I prefer, as opposed to louder with some rasp. In some clips I've seen, the Supra with AWE exhaust sounds a little bit deeper than M340i. Here are examples:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3OgMX9lhC7c

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6gsyPNo_TfI

Both are with resonated touring exhaust and stock DP.

I'm after deep, smooth and clean sound. Little to no burbles is fine with me too. How would you describe the AWE vs MAD in terms of sound and tone?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:33 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cleaner sound is what I prefer, as opposed to louder with some rasp. In some clips I've seen, the Supra with AWE exhaust sounds a little bit deeper than M340i. Here are examples:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3OgMX9lhC7c

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6gsyPNo_TfI

Both are with resonated touring exhaust and stock DP.

I'm after deep, smooth and clean sound. Little to no burbles is fine with me too. How would you describe the AWE vs MAD in terms of sound and tone?
the MAD has the deeper mid-range; in my opinion, it's due to the design they use with the single midpipe and 1 center muffler.

Appreciate 0