BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

04-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Why not a DCT and MT in one transmission?

So hear me out here. With all the new technology out there and all the different ways computers can be added to cars to control various things, why can't someone develop a transmission that does both of the following?

1. It has a clutch and a gear shift lever like any other manual for full manual mode
2. You push a button and the transmission controller takes over actuating full auto mode where it will handle clutch and shifting gears via a computer controlled module

I hear that the older SMG transmissions were just manuals with an actuator, so why couldn't this work for an all in one transmission? I know the DCT has two clutches and is a completely different unit, but there has to be a way to do this all in one gear box. Am I crazy, or just not possible?

I think this could satisfy a market of people that would love the manual driving for weekends, and then also daily drive in traffic as well with the auto feature.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
So hear me out here. With all the new technology out there, and all the different ways computers can be added to cars to control various things, why can't someone develop a transmission that does both of these:

1. It has a clutch and a gear shift lever like any other manual for full manual mode
2. You push a button and the transmission controller takes over actuating full auto mode where it will handle clutch and shifting gears via a computer controlled module

I hear that the older SMG trannys where just manuals with an actuator, so why couldn't this work for an all in one transmission.

I think this could satisfy a market of people that would love the manual driving for weekends, and then also daily drive in traffic as well with the auto feature.

Am I crazy, or just not possible. I know the DCT has 2 clutches, and is a completely different unit, but there has to be a way to do this all in one gear box.
This technology already exists.. developed by bmw.. and has existed for a long time i saw it in a documentary on late 90s british spy activity titled "the world is not enough" there is a scene where the BMW Z8 (which we all know is manual only) is driven remotely and we can clearly see the car shift it self into gear. No clue why they dont just offer that now 20 years later

Kidding aside (although equally far fetched) it could probably be done with a huge investment in drive by wire tech, simulating both the clutch and stick feel so the driver cant tell the difference between that and a mechanical linkage and the clutch pedal is able through software control to control both clutches in the dct.
A. it would never recoup the massive investment
B. lets say it was not a big investment, the target audience (manual traditionalists) would probably scoff at it anyway because its not a real manual... would just be a video game
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
Closed Thread