Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What do you clean sensatec with? How to keep it looking nice?

12-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

What do you clean sensatec with? How to keep it looking nice?

I came from a 535i with Nappa leather that I had to use high end cleaner on to keep it looking nice. In the past, I had Dakota leather in my car and they always had issues long term with the finish coming off. It seems that Dakota leather is just cheap leather with a plastic finish embossed on top of it.

Anyway, this time I got sensatec since it seems like it's supposed to hold up better. What should be used to clean black sensatec? How can I keep it looking nice long term without it getting shiny or having the finish rub off?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

I used leather cleaner and conditioner on my Dakota leather for over 10 years and it looked like new when I traded it in. Regardless, I'm sure any vinyl cleaner from a reputable brand such as Mothers, McGuires, Chemical Guys, 303, Duragloss will be fine. I'm sure any good leather cleaner will be good also.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Following this.

In addition to cleaning, is there any need to periodically treat it with anything like you do leather?

Just ordered my first sensatec car. Hoping it will age well and still look new in 5 years.

Anything has to be more comfortable than bmw's base leather after a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

I haven't done any leather cleaning/conditioning on my senatec since brand new, and it still looks the same.

In contrast, I cleaned my dakota leather in my F30 3 times in 8.5 years(the last time right before it was sold), but didn't apply any leather conditioner. The 2nd owner complimented that the leather looked new.

Last edited by bavarianride; 12-12-2021 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

You guys must have better luck with Dakota leather. I had oyster/black Dakota in my E90 and it looked like crap after just a few years. The embossed pattern literally melted off in a few places. I had Nevada leather in my F25 and it was decent and didn't wear as much but still became shiny after a couple of years.

This is my first brand new car and I want to keep it looking perfect. I've used griots garage interior cleaner with a boars hair brush and it seems to work well and not leave any residue. I guess I'll just keep using that.

On a side note. I literally couldn't tell a difference between sensatec and the Vernasca leather on the G20. They look the same to me but the sensatec doesn't seem to stretch and wrinkle like the vernacsa does. I wish that Nappa was offered on the G20.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdking View Post
You guys must have better luck with Dakota leather. I had oyster/black Dakota in my E90 and it looked like crap after just a few years. The embossed pattern literally melted off in a few places. I had Nevada leather in my F25 and it was decent and didn't wear as much but still became shiny after a couple of years.

This is my first brand new car and I want to keep it looking perfect. I've used griots garage interior cleaner with a boars hair brush and it seems to work well and not leave any residue. I guess I'll just keep using that.

On a side note. I literally couldn't tell a difference between sensatec and the Vernasca leather on the G20. They look the same to me but the sensatec doesn't seem to stretch and wrinkle like the vernacsa does. I wish that Nappa was offered on the G20.
The difference in look is drastic not sure how you couldn't tell the difference. There's no stitching on the sensatec and it looks more pillowy. They are definitely more comfortable .
Leather
[IMG]https://www.forumbmw.net/img/members...-equipee-5.jpg[/IMG]
Sensatec
[IMG]https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1557560010[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
The difference in look is drastic not sure how you couldn't tell the difference. There's no stitching on the sensatec and it looks more pillowy. They are definitely more comfortable.
The Vernasca and Merino seem to be close to Dakota, which is not that much better than Senatec(Dakota may be more breathable than Senatec in summer)

The Nappa leather is noticeably more supple than Vernasca.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
The difference in look is drastic not sure how you couldn't tell the difference. There's no stitching on the sensatec and it looks more pillowy. They are definitely more comfortable .
Leather
[IMG]https://www.forumbmw.net/img/members...-equipee-5.jpg[/IMG]
Sensatec
[IMG]https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...2&d=1557560010[/IMG]

I'm talking about the grain structure and texture. They look identical. Also the sticking difference isn't huge on the G20. It's just missing the horizontal bars on the seats. The 2022 models have perforated seats and look even more upscale.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The 2022 models have perforated seats and look even more upscale.
I think many who used to pick leather for its breathability will find perforated senatec is a viable alternative.

Last edited by bavarianride; 12-12-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #10
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

I've had 3 BMWs with ST and all I've ever done is wipe it off when it gets damp or wet (post kayaking). The ST has held up fantastically well for me... but I never keep a car beyond 3 years (usually).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

It's plastic. It doesn't really wear down quickly.

Just dust it off now and then.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9717.50
      12-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #12
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
It's plastic. It doesn't really wear down quickly.

Just dust it off now and then.
Now that's a little harsh...

Man-made, sure. Plastic? It seems several solid steps up from plastic.

I know you weren't trying to be condescending, but I really think its a quality product and for those of us who are having to keep a car a little longer due to the current shortage/pricing issues, it seems like an excellent option. On resale, it should still look new several years down the road.

Also, I find the 'plastic' seats much more comfortable than the leather seats in my 2019 440GC or my wife's 2019 X3. Not to mention lower maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post

I know you weren't trying to be condescending, but I really think its a quality product and for those of us who are having to keep a car a little longer due to the current shortage/pricing issues, it seems like an excellent option. On resale, it should still look new several years down the road.

Also, I find the 'plastic' seats much more comfortable than the leather seats in my 2019 440GC or my wife's 2019 X3. Not to mention lower maintenance.
It's literally PVC and other man-made stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post

It was a stark truth post, but certainly not meant to offend.

It's sorta the same way I feel about folks who bolt on M accessories and badging, but still don't have an M.

Bottom line: It's. Just. Not. An. M.

Let me rephrase the 'plastic' comment. It's not a natural material, so simple dusting and a damp rag will do. No need to make it glossy or go overboard with the grease.

That said, if you're going to drive the car until it drops, you can always look into a long-term interior coating like CQuartz Finest.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9717.50
      12-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

It's sorta the same way I feel about folks who bolt on M accessories and badging, but still don't have an M.

Let me rephrase the 'plastic' comment. It's not a natural material, so simple dusting and a damp rag will do. No need to make it glossy or go overboard with the grease.

That said, if you're going to drive the car until it drops, you can always look into a long-term interior coating like CQuartz Finest.
I don't track my car so it doesn't need to be a real M car. But I do like speedy cars that handle well and luxury features. I know that the 3 series is the less expensive series than the 5 or 7 series BUT I, for one, would be willing to pay for the luxury to get a smaller, more maneuverable car.

So...I don't need an M car but want luxury. That sent me to my current 5 series...reluctantly.

I think BMW is losing sales, and long term customers, by not offering the better features on a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Do note that CQuartz Finest is a synthetic 'plastic' polymer coating that is added to protect natural material.

The same applies to the Dakota leather's synthetic top coat. So for ease of care ad durability, some form of synthetic barrier is preferred.

In that regard, the advantage of natural leather is breathability, but perforated senatec bridges that gap.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

BMW M sport and M performance models aren't true M cars either but they come from M badging from the factory. This has been going on for over a decade at this point.

BMW leathers other than Nappa and Merino are also plastic. The part you're sitting on isn't leather, it's a plastic coating. I did Sensatec this time because I've had bad luck with the cheaper leathers "melting" on my previous BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't track my car so it doesn't need to be a real M car. But I do like speedy cars that handle well and luxury features. I know that the 3 series is the less expensive series than the 5 or 7 series BUT I, for one, would be willing to pay for the luxury to get a smaller, more maneuverable car.

So...I don't need an M car but want luxury. That sent me to my current 5 series...reluctantly.

I think BMW is losing sales, and long term customers, by not offering the better features on a 3 series.
Curious as to what features you wanted on the 5 that you couldn't get on the 3? I just traded in my loaded 2016 535i for my new 330i. There's features on the G20 that used to be exclusive on the 5 series, like the power operated sunroof shade, power trunk lid, and comfort access on all four doors. Only things I can think of are the high end Bowers and Wilkins audio, and the massaging and ventilated multi contour seats with Nappa leather.

The G20 is quieter to drive than my F10 was and it handles wayyyy better too.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #19
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
BMW M sport and M performance models aren't true M cars either but they come from M badging from the factory. This has been going on for over a decade at this point.
I'm aware.

What I was referring to were the people who buy stock and then bolt on additives until it's a funny Frankenstein car.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Do note that CQuartz Finest is a synthetic 'plastic' polymer coating that is added to protect natural material.

The same applies to the Dakota leather's synthetic top coat. So for ease of care ad durability, some form of synthetic barrier is preferred.

In that regard, the advantage of natural leather is breathability, but perforated senatec bridges that gap.

Ah, crap. Didn't know that (about CQuartz).

The last vehicle I had coated was my now-gone 2020 M340i.

I took merino full-extended and had him cover everything, inside and out, wheels, calipers, glass, the works.

I never got the money out of that when it sold it, but was happy at the time that I could get most anything off my car with a garden hose squirt. It made washing the vehicle insanely easy.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #21
Wanna3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
I came from a 535i with Nappa leather that I had to use high end cleaner on to keep it looking nice. In the past, I had Dakota leather in my car and they always had issues long term with the finish coming off. It seems that Dakota leather is just cheap leather with a plastic finish embossed on top of it.

Anyway, this time I got sensatec since it seems like it's supposed to hold up better. What should be used to clean black sensatec? How can I keep it looking nice long term without it getting shiny or having the finish rub off?
nextzett Cockpit Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have my sensatec since April, and with daily use, it has not changed a bit with zero care(not even dusting nor wiping with water).

My experience with dakota leather with synthetic top coat is that Lexol leather cleaner works well(used 3 times in 8.5 yrs), so I may use the same on sensatec.

Leather conditioner is irrelevant for synthetic material(including dakota top coat).
Appreciate 0