Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

01-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #177
Wmb5m
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d xdrive Touring -20

I think that it’s a little bit strange that it is no distance between the steering ball joint and the shield. That must be some kind of friktion between them, and if there are vibrations in the shield, they would be transmitted to the steering tie rod.
Name:  60B886FF-F44B-45B5-9D45-52F07DC0854E.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  283.2 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 01:27 AM   #178
Wmb5m
Rep

Bad photo that really don’t show that is no gap but it isn’t.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:35 AM   #179
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmb5m View Post
Bad photo that really don't show that is no gap but it isn't.
I don't know whether this is normal, but it's an interesting observation
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:37 AM   #180
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

The dealer reports, that they tried with 19" wheels without any change in the noise. So apparently wheel size doesn't matter ...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #181
Wmb5m
Rep

Ok, next step will be to put some rubber or other soft material between the ball joint and shield.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:50 AM   #182
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmb5m View Post
Ok, next step will be to put some rubber or other soft material between the ball joint and shield.
Yes - I was thinking the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:15 AM   #183
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

It's been dry roads for couple of days now and it's the first time in weeks. I think it's more quite now. The grinding is still there but it sounds different, and if it is the shield it probably should.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:19 AM   #184
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
It's been dry roads for couple of days now and it's the first times in weeks. I think it's more quite now. The grinding is still there but it sounds different, and if it is the shield it probably should.
I don't notice any differencen in the noise on dry road. It's pretty much the same as always.

It could be due to different tires than mine. I still believe the tire noise is picked up somewhere in the wheel arches and amplified in some way.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #185
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
The dealer reports, that they tried with 19" wheels without any change in the noise. So apparently wheel size doesn't matter ...
Do you know if its my car they tested that on? They don't report ANYTHING to me. Haven't heard from them since monday last week..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #186
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Quote:
Do you know if its my car they tested that on? They don't report ANYTHING to me. Haven't heard from them since monday last week..
Quote:
Quote:
According to Lars (workshop manager) it was on your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #187
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep
Drives: 330e, e36 compact drifter

just joined the forum and have to post a reply and wait an hour to create my own thread. wtf? so anyway. hi
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #188
jugga
Rep
Drives: 2020 330d xdrive m-sport

I had my 330d x drive m-sport at the dealer today for troubleshooting. I have the noise since I got the car in december. The car is on studded tires, 18 inch rims, and I have driven 5000km since new. My dealer tried a different set of tires, not the solution. I have a new appointment in february, there is a servicebullentin that som version of the prop shaft support bearing can cause noise. My dealer is ordering the updated part. Next appointment they will tear the car down and check the part number on the bearing, and if it is the faulty version replace it.
The bearing sounds like a probable source of the noise to me. I hope it does the trick. I will post the result when done
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #189
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
I had my 330d x drive m-sport at the dealer today for troubleshooting. I have the noise since I got the car in december. The car is on studded tires, 18 inch rims, and I have driven 5000km since new. My dealer tried a different set of tires, not the solution. I have a new appointment in february, there is a servicebullentin that som version of the prop shaft support bearing can cause noise. My dealer is ordering the updated part. Next appointment they will tear the car down and check the part number on the bearing, and if it is the faulty version replace it.
The bearing sounds like a probable source of the noise to me. I hope it does the trick. I will post the result when done
Quote:
Very exciting news. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the service bulletine is available any where - or only for BMW personel?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #190
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Prop shaft?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #191
jugga
Rep
Drives: 2020 330d xdrive m-sport

kardanaxel
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #192
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
kardanaxel
Tack
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #193
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Prop shaft?
= Drive shaft.

My experience with BMW since 2003 is that BMW will fix the problem if many cars are having the same issue.

However, it can take time for the owners to first bring in their problematic cars. Then the technicians have to experience the problem, acknowledge it, look for possible causes. This may include a few rounds of, "We replaced this and that, and it's fixed.", or, "We tried this and that and the problem is still there."

If the techs run out of ideas, then they will put in a problem via "PUMA" case with BMW. PUMA is a worldwide BMW data bank network that takes in problems and offers solutions. These are problems/issues that tech's are having a difficult time fixing/correcting. After BMW receives many cases of the same/similar problem they escalate those to find the cause and find a solution.

BTW, it's happened in the past with various auto manufactures where something was not installed correctly during the build, or some part is completely missing on some vehicles during manufacture. I recall, not details, some cases where window seals were not installed properly or missing causing noises, along with soundproofing shields and material not installed at all or not installed properly.

I don't know the sound that everyone is hearing so I can just speculate. Let's hope BMW will be responsive sooner rather than later. Best of luck people.
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2020, 03:09 AM   #194
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Quote:
Exciting news! Think I will call my dealer on monday to hear, if they've heard about that!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #195
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exciting news! Think I will call my dealer on monday to hear, if they've heard about that!
Quote:
Quote:
That's a really good idea. Let us know how they respond.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:18 AM   #196
Wmb5m
Rep

Quote:
My dealer has no info or even heard about this servicebullentin at all. So strange!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:30 AM   #197
XXXX
Private
Rep

Neither do my😟
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #198
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you get any answer?
Appreciate 0