Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin BMW Dealer Cheaper Than Independent Shop?

01-24-2024, 12:27 PM   #1
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

BMW Dealer Cheaper Than Independent Shop?

I just picked up my car from service, my 2019 330i needed an oil change, brake fluid flush, and new spark plugs.

The oil change was $220, brake fluid was $250, and spark plugs were $350.

A local independent shop quoted $250 for the oil change, $300 for brakes, and $400 for plugs.

The service at the dealer was great, they provided a shuttle service and a hand wash for free.

Of course, for things like brakes and suspension the independent shop is significantly less expensive, but for routine scheduled maintenance I see no reason not to just go to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      01-24-2024, 01:41 PM   #2
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyB48 View Post
I just picked up my car from service, my 2019 330i needed an oil change, brake fluid flush, and new spark plugs.

The oil change was $220, brake fluid was $250, and spark plugs were $350.

A local independent shop quoted $250 for the oil change, $300 for brakes, and $400 for plugs.

The service at the dealer was great, they provided a shuttle service and a hand wash for free.

Of course, for things like brakes and suspension the independent shop is significantly less expensive, but for routine scheduled maintenance I see no reason not to just go to the dealer.
It’s dependent on location, dealer, and Indy shop. I don’t think it’s ever definitive one is cheaper than the other. It just depends.
I will say for me personally, servicing my car strictly at an Indy has led me to have a great relationship with the owner, and through that, I am sure they are more likely to perform a better service and preventative / proactive inspections for me.
      01-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #3
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I suspect basic fluids are either loss leaders or similar at dealers (by the way, you need wipers, cabin air filter, tires are down to 5/32, etc.), whereas Indy shops not so much. Still seems a little pricey for an Indy shop. Mine, if I use them for this, charges 1/2 hour for an oil change and 1/2 for brake fluid; I supply the parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:44 PM   #4
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold - e90 335

Garage List
My thoughts may be against the grain but here goes.

Id rather the dealer do all of my very basic maintenance such as oil changes etc. The price is almost always the same or close enough. Dealers typically have comfortable seating, allow me to work comfortably while there, and offer coffee / snacks. In addition they will often have coupons to get you in the door.

The most important thing for me is that they only deal with BMW and know those cars inside and out. They know the common problems (especially while you are in warranty). Thats all they deal with vs a german Indy (the Indy i use occasionally is a BMW only one however). They also do a full Multi Point inspection which is always great to know whats coming.

Having a relationship and service history at the dealer for an in warranty vehicle as it approaches expiration is also really valuable in the event things go sideways shortly after it expires.

Once the warranty is fully up, I will typically go to a BMW specific Indy. You lose the comfortable place to work, with snacks and coffee, but you also save hundreds on the invoice.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:00 AM   #5
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
I suspect basic fluids are either loss leaders or similar at dealers (by the way, you need wipers, cabin air filter, tires are down to 5/32, etc.), whereas Indy shops not so much. Still seems a little pricey for an Indy shop. Mine, if I use them for this, charges 1/2 hour for an oil change and 1/2 for brake fluid; I supply the parts.
Yeah, I just go to America's Tire for tires (they have great prices!) and change the filters, wipers, and other easy stuff myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:57 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
The other prices are good, but $220 for an oil change?!?! I have never paid more than $99 at the dealership. I have always been able to take advantage of an oil change special. Just fyi - since you have a 2019 you’ll probably qualify for BMW’s $225 three year oil change program at some point in the next twelve months. You should be able to get at least four oil changes. https://bmwusaservice.com/ultimatecare
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!