Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 330i suspension types, comfort question

06-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
NozzFest
Private
Rep
Drives: Pimped out Prius

330i suspension types, comfort question

Am I getting this right? There are three suspensions available on the 330i:
  1. Regular, Sport-line suspension
  2. M-sport, adaptive suspension (M-Sport package)
  3. Adjustable suspension (Track Handling Package)

My question is which one is the most comfortable? I'm coming from an F82 and I'm ready for a less bumpy ride. The M4 has variable suspension, so when I'm driving crappy roads I put it on comfort and it's not too bad, but it's still rough on long trips.

I'm guessing the Sport-line with its 18" tires is going to be the way to go, but I like the look of the M-Sport package. But if I can get the adjustable suspension and the best of both worlds (M-Sport looks with comfort that's better than the adaptive suspension), maybe that settles it?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzFest View Post
Am I getting this right? There are three suspensions available on the 330i:
  1. Regular, Sport-line suspension
  2. M-sport, adaptive suspension (M-Sport package)
  3. Adjustable suspension (Track Handling Package)

My question is which one is the most comfortable? I'm coming from an F82 and I'm ready for a less bumpy ride. The M4 has variable suspension, so when I'm driving crappy roads I put it on comfort and it's not too bad, but it's still rough on long trips.

I'm guessing the Sport-line with its 18" tires is going to be the way to go, but I like the look of the M-Sport package. But if I can get the adjustable suspension and the best of both worlds (M-Sport looks with comfort that's better than the adaptive suspension), maybe that settles it?
There are 3:
  • Regular/standard
  • M-Sport
  • Adaptive (can be configured to have many configurations, including behavior like the 2 above, with other features as well)

You should test drive them at your local dealer to see what's best for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

I drove a 330i with M sport suspension and 19 inch wheels and one with regular suspension and 18 inch wheels.

The regular suspension is similar to E90 standard suspension, firm but comfortable.

M sport suspension is lowered 10 mm and is more firm.

I prefer the M sport suspension, since I think its still comfortable.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
There are 3:
You're absolutely right. I failed to mention that I (briefly) test drove the Sport Line, had the M-Sport for a 5 day loaner, but haven't tried the adaptive.

My question, if I had thought it through better before posting (my bad), would be more about the adaptive suspension and if it can be softer than the M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzFest View Post
You're absolutely right. I failed to mention that I (briefly) test drove the Sport Line, had the M-Sport for a 5 day loaner, but haven't tried the adaptive.

My question, if I had thought it through better before posting (my bad), would be more about the adaptive suspension and if it can be softer than the M-Sport.
I'm a believer that M-sport and Adaptive (in M-Sport mode) are the same. The exception being that Adaptive can "adapt" to changes in the road to allow the driver to have more comfort, even when in M-sport mode. So to answer your question, yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm a believer that M-sport and Adaptive (in M-Sport mode) are the same. The exception being that Adaptive can "adapt" to changes in the road to allow the driver to have more comfort, even when in M-sport mode. So to answer your question, yes.
Thank you, that's helpful. I'm having trouble finding a 330i close by that I can test drive with adaptive suspension so I may have to go on word alone...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
If you want comfort go for the adaptive setup

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
If you want comfort go for the adaptive setup
Thank you - is the only way to do so to get the Track Handling Package?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
I drove a 330i with M sport suspension and 19 inch wheels and one with regular suspension and 18 inch wheels.

The regular suspension is similar to E90 standard suspension, firm but comfortable.

M sport suspension is lowered 10 mm and is more firm.

I prefer the M sport suspension, since I think its still comfortable.
I have to agree with you. The M-Sport suspension is great. I personally wish the the M sport suspension was 1" lower than what it is right now. The ride is as expected for the suspension and 19" wheels on RFT.

I actually might buy the H&R springs for my 340i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:08 AM   #10
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318

Quote:
There are 3:
  • Regular/standard
  • M-Sport
  • Adaptive (can be configured to have many configurations, including behavior like the 2 above, with other features as well)

I have the adaptive, but notice that driving on travic bumps I get an extra shock at leaving the bump. But strange it is not always. I checked also an other car with almost same results. The garage is checking thuis issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
Macboy
Rep
Drives: G20 330d

I dont know how your German is but I recently made this post on. German forum. Your presumption to begin with was wrong but you were corrected by Pauleebe. Furthermore there are the runflat and non runflat tyres you should take into considerations.

My opinion thus far:

19” mit M sportfahrwerk mit adaptiv mit runflat: zu hart für mich
19” mit M sportfahrwerk ohne adaptiv mit runflat: ausreichend komfortabel, aber vor allem sportiv
19” mit M sportfahrwerk ohne adaptiv ohne runflat: für mich perfekten Balans zwischen sportiv und komfort
18” mit M sportfahrwerk: nicht gefahren
18” Sportline ohne sportfahrwerk mit runflat: guten Balans aber richtung komfort
18” Luxury ohne sportfahrwerk mit runflat: viel zu komfortabel

Let me know if you understand this. If not I will translate.

I will get my car with 19” and M sport non adaptive with non runflat wednesday. This combo should be more comfortable and I think would be perfect for me.

For you probably the best thing should be the M sport without the lowering (in Holland the M suspension can be ticked off) with 18” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:59 AM   #12
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy View Post
I dont know how your German is but I recently made this post on. German forum. Your presumption to begin with was wrong but you were corrected by Pauleebe. Furthermore there are the runflat and non runflat tyres you should take into considerations.

My opinion thus far:

19" mit M sportfahrwerk mit adaptiv mit runflat: zu hart für mich
19" mit M sportfahrwerk ohne adaptiv mit runflat: ausreichend komfortabel, aber vor allem sportiv
19" mit M sportfahrwerk ohne adaptiv ohne runflat: für mich perfekten Balans zwischen sportiv und komfort
18" mit M sportfahrwerk: nicht gefahren
18" Sportline ohne sportfahrwerk mit runflat: guten Balans aber richtung komfort
18" Luxury ohne sportfahrwerk mit runflat: viel zu komfortabel

Let me know if you understand this. If not I will translate.

I will get my car with 19" and M sport non adaptive with non runflat wednesday. This combo should be more comfortable and I think would be perfect for me.

For you probably the best thing should be the M sport without the lowering (in Holland the M suspension can be ticked off) with 18" wheels.
I don't understand the example Below

19" mit M sportfahrwerk mit adaptiv mit runflat: zu hart für mich
19" mit M sportfahrwerk ohne adaptiv mit runflat: ausreichend komfortabel, aber vor allem sportiv

I expect that with adaptiv it is possible to get it comfortable. You need adaptive to switch between comfort and sport or not. Or drive adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Well I ended up ordering Sport Line with the regular suspension. It was more comfortable than the M-Sport suspension, and comfort is what I'm looking for at the moment.

I considered the track-package to get the adaptive suspension, but at that point with the options I want (literally all of them) it seemed dumb to not just get an M340 on principle. But I didn't want to spend that right now.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and insights! Great community.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #14
Macboy
Rep

blepper yes you can get it comfortable in adaptive. But the sporty ride is to firm for me. I have to say I am a big fan of the balanced BMW dampers. They have always been perfect. The adaptive dampers are not so good as they used to be. The standard dampers are made to perfection so you will not need the adaptive on the G20. On the F30 this was totally different. The adaptive was much better option. Not because of the adaptive system itself, but because the normal suspension/dampers were not perfect. Now they are.

Yesterday I finally picked up my 19” M suspension with standard Michelin PS tyres. I can honestly say that people who miss that comfort should try out this option. The car feels very different with the 2.5 bar instead of 2.8 bar of the runflat tyres.

To me this is perfection. No adaptive needed. Firm, but very comfortable as well. Would advice everybody to try this combo for those who want a bit less bumpy ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:51 AM   #15
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
blepper yes you can get it comfortable in adaptive. But the sporty ride is to firm for me. I have to say I am a big fan of the balanced BMW dampers. They have always been perfect. The adaptive dampers are not so good as they used to be. The standard dampers are made to perfection so you will not need the adaptive on the G20. On the F30 this was totally different. The adaptive was much better option. Not because of the adaptive system itself, but because the normal suspension/dampers were not perfect. Now they are.

Yesterday I finally picked up my 19” M suspension with standard Michelin PS tyres. I can honestly say that people who miss that comfort should try out this option. The car feels very different with the 2.5 bar instead of 2.8 bar of the runflat tyres.

To me this is perfection. No adaptive needed. Firm, but very comfortable as well. Would advice everybody to try this combo for those who want a bit less bumpy ride.
Macboy im going to switch from 19" PZero RFTs to standard tyres too
I have a static m sport suspension on a G20 320i
1. Why did you choose Michelin over pirelli go flats?
2. Which PS did you go for? Pilot Sport 4 or pilot sport 4 'S'?
3. Comfort is my prirority now too, if you were to roughly quantify the ride improvement, what percentage would it be? 10% improvement or 50% in terms of jiggle and wobble over side roads at low speeds?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
Macboy
Rep

I have had years of experience with the Michelin Pilot Super sport on my M135i so it was clear to go for Michelin. The Pirelli I had on my Mini Cooper were not as good. I dont think there is a bad choice there however.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Right now on 2.5 bar.

The ride is about 50-60% more comfortable on bumps. Major difference !
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Amazing, thanks Macboy
Are you based in the UK? Whwree did you buy them from / get fitted?
Quote:
I have had years of experience with the Michelin Pilot Super sport on my M135i so it was clear to go for Michelin. The Pirelli I had on my Mini Cooper were not as good. I dont think there is a bad choice there however.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Right now on 2.5 bar.

The ride is about 50-60% more comfortable on bumps. Major difference !
Appreciate 1
Hydrid11.50
      01-24-2021, 01:47 AM   #18
dinocorse
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 316D White

Quote:
There are 3:
  • Regular/standard
  • M-Sport

do you know if the difference in the suspensions between Regular and M-Sport is only about the spring (-10 mm) or does the strut/shock change as well? I want to mount M-Sport springs on my standard struts/shocks as I found them used and i want to lower the car a little.
Appreciate 0