Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Drive Recorder

07-08-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Drive Recorder

Wondering of those who have optioned up the Drive Recorder, is the manual recording working for you? If I do a long press of the panorama button nothing happens. I've got the manual record option ticked and I can record via the menu but it takes too long to navigate the menus. Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #2
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Hi there. Mine has always worked as advertised. Long press, then a message comes up saying it’s recording. All I can suggest is doing the long press on the Vol button to reboot the system. See if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Wondering of those who have optioned up the Drive Recorder, is the manual recording working for you? If I do a long press of the panorama button nothing happens. I've got the manual record option ticked and I can record via the menu but it takes too long to navigate the menus. Anyone else having this problem?
Have you made sure the manual mode is ticked in the options? It isn't on by default.

If you go into the apps - drive record there are a number of settings.
      07-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #4
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Hi there. Mine has always worked as advertised. Long press, then a message comes up saying it's recording. All I can suggest is doing the long press on the Vol button to reboot the system. See if that fixes it.
Awesome, thanks that seemed to fix it. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Must admit I wonder how good the automatic recording is. I guess we'll never know unless we are involved in an accident unfortunately!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks that seemed to fix it. Cheers
Great. Nothing like power off, power on.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #7
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Must admit I wonder how good the automatic recording is. I guess we'll never know unless we are involved in an accident unfortunately!
I feel bad, but I’m waiting for someone to report back on this. I’m not sure I’ve even seen any info on the magnitude of the hit needed to trigger recording.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:21 AM   #8
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I feel bad, but I’m waiting for someone to report back on this. I’m not sure I’ve even seen any info on the magnitude of the hit needed to trigger recording.
Yeah I wonder what type of sensor is in place to detect a collision or how much impact is required?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I'm curious what period people registered? I've just done 1 month as a trial. Have others gone for longer periods, lifetime etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #10
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I'm curious what period people registered? I've just done 1 month as a trial. Have others gone for longer periods, lifetime etc?
I’ve gone all in. Part of the build.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ve gone all in. Part of the build.
Me too but I ordered online after delivery
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #12
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Same here. Lifetime with the build.
Set and forget!
      07-09-2020, 12:08 AM   #13
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I feel bad, but I'm waiting for someone to report back on this. I'm not sure I've even seen any info on the magnitude of the hit needed to trigger recording.
Yeah I wonder what type of sensor is in place to detect a collision or how much impact is required?
I got rear-ended last year (when car was only 6 months old) at slow to moderate speed - i reckon impact speed <20km/hr - pretensioners/airbags weren't activated. But the car did sense a collision - fuel was shut off immediately, iDrive displayed a message to see if I wanted to call roadside assist. I didn't have the recorder at the time but I'm sure it would have been triggered in that event. However, I don't really want to find out for sure lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #14
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
I got rear-ended last year (when car was only 6 months old) at slow to moderate speed - i reckon impact speed <20km/hr - pretensioners/airbags weren't activated. But the car did sense a collision - fuel was shut off immediately, iDrive displayed a message to see if I wanted to call roadside assist. I didn't have the recorder at the time but I'm sure it would have been triggered in that event. However, I don't really want to find out for sure lol.
Ah yes I saw that picture, terrible, is your car all fixed now ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #15
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Damn, that’s annoying. I once had a driver reverse into my 2 day old car. To say I wasn’t impressed is an understatement. So have you now purchased the Drive Recorder?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Quote:
Damn, that’s annoying. I once had a driver reverse into my 2 day old car. To say I wasn’t impressed is an understatement. So have you now purchased the Drive Recorder?
Yes I've got the recorder now but thankfully haven't had to really "use" it yet. The car is also fixed - the body shop did a good job. They've even painted the lower bumper section into the same body colour (I really hated the mismatched grey lower section. )
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #17
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Damn, that's annoying. I once had a driver reverse into my 2 day old car. To say I wasn't impressed is an understatement. So have you now purchased the Drive Recorder?
Yes I've got the recorder now but thankfully haven't had to really "use" it yet. The car is also fixed - the body shop did a good job. They've even painted the lower bumper section into the same body colour (I really hated the mismatched grey lower section. )
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Damn, that's annoying. I once had a driver reverse into my 2 day old car. To say I wasn't impressed is an understatement. So have you now purchased the Drive Recorder?
Ah good stuff glad to hear

Yes not sure why they did that grey portion is it because they knew we would have to buy aftermarket m performance parts to correct it
Give me black any day and why couldn't they give us the vertical diffusers strips straight out the box it would make the car look so mean Grrrrr
And did you know if you want the carbon fibre boot spoiler they only sell it with the front lip spoiler and it's like 3k something about downforce must be matched
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:11 AM   #18
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I've set mine up with manual record option checked, and then out the drive recorder app widget on the display home screen bottom right.. So then if you need to do a manual record, you can just touch the screen. Much easier than the long press on the camera button, or using the I-Drive menu.
And in manual mode, I selected it to use front and rear cameras only for the recording. The image quality is much better for some reason. Auto mode continues to use 4 cameras, even though 2 are selected I. manual mode.
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      07-10-2020, 03:57 AM   #19
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I've set mine up with manual record option checked, and then out the drive recorder app widget on the display home screen bottom right.. So then if you need to do a manual record, you can just touch the screen. Much easier than the long press on the camera button, or using the I-Drive menu.
And in manual mode, I selected it to use front and rear cameras only for the recording. The image quality is much better for some reason. Auto mode continues to use 4 cameras, even though 2 are selected I. manual mode.
Wow good idea! My only problem is I'm normally running Waze via Apple CarPlay on the main screen. Keeping my license in check is very difficult with the M340i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #20
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wow good idea! My only problem is I'm normally running Waze via Apple CarPlay on the main screen. Keeping my license in check is very difficult with the M340i
Yes, that's a problem, but what I did to workaround it was put the phone on the 2nd screen and left my Navigation, Media and Drive Recorder on the home screen. So I still see music album covers and tracks etc on the home screen.
I use Hey BMW for the phone so it doesn't need to be on the home screen...but that might not be to everyone's taste...
Appreciate 0