Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) M340i removing/deactivated active shutter grill

11-28-2023, 04:37 PM   #45
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
Any luck on this? Currently dealing with the lower activeblinds on my 330i.

Top piece popped out of place. I was able to access the blinds from under the car by removing the splash shield and reconnected the top blind to the mechanism. It all worked fine after clearing codes and doing a test open/close with ISTA. However took a drive today andCEL came back on with the same code (lower blind upper limit not detected) or something like that and now they’re permanently open!
I had the exact same issue. Dealer wanted $1.4-1.5k to fix it. There was someone who did coding remotely who said they could code the CEL out for like $50 or so (can't remember how much exactly). Only issue was the active shutters would be permanently open.

I bought the lower active flap online and found a local garage who installed it for me for like $150. I paid a lot less than $400 for everything (parts+labor).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 06:52 AM   #46
Planoser
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
awesome, thanks! I am trying to get into another lease anyway, so lets see if the dealer really wants to charge me $2800 or I will just get ITSA and do it myself.
Any idea where to get ITSA? I am also in dfw area and getting CEL for active shutters - need to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:08 AM   #47
daverdfw
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
Any luck on this? Currently dealing with the lower activeblinds on my 330i.

Top piece popped out of place. I was able to access the blinds from under the car by removing the splash shield and reconnected the top blind to the mechanism. It all worked fine after clearing codes and doing a test open/close with ISTA. However took a drive today andCEL came back on with the same code (lower blind upper limit not detected) or something like that and now they’re permanently open!
I just did this yesterday, I haven't gone on a long drive but I use ISTA to do the Blind procedure, it went though a bunch of tests and said no fualt detected. I took it for a drive down the street and no codes yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #48
eneka
Rep
Drives: e46->i3->g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
I just did this yesterday, I haven't gone on a long drive but I use ISTA to do the Blind procedure, it went though a bunch of tests and said no fualt detected. I took it for a drive down the street and no codes yet.
I updated my i-step to 11/2022 version. Went away for a day or two before the CEL started popping up. The lower blinds still operate as far as I can tell, opening and closing as they please. Figured out how to update the car to 11/2023 so just did that last night...we'll see if it pops up again.

If it does; next step is to remove my bumper and pulling the whole thing out to examine...worst case seems like the whole part is ~$170. Might wait till winter is over before I replace it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planoser View Post
Any idea where to get ITSA? I am also in dfw area and getting CEL for active shutters - need to resolve.
You can request it here
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...013967&page=14

ISTA probably isn't neccessary at all for this repair, but certainly helpful with diagnostics and clearing codes!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #49
daverdfw
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
I updated my i-step to 11/2022 version. Went away for a day or two before the CEL started popping up. The lower blinds still operate as far as I can tell, opening and closing as they please. Figured out how to update the car to 11/2023 so just did that last night...we'll see if it pops up again.

If it does; next step is to remove my bumper and pulling the whole thing out to examine...worst case seems like the whole part is ~$170. Might wait till winter is over before I replace it!

You can request it here
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...013967&page=14

ISTA probably isn't neccessary at all for this repair, but certainly helpful with diagnostics and clearing codes!

I used ISTA to run the service plan for the blinds, it went though a whole program of testing them both and then told me no fault found. I have been good since then.
Appreciate 0