Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Is there a correct way to put into Park?

01-18-2022, 03:31 AM   #1
RC101
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i

Is there a correct way to put into Park?

Hi all,

So happy to have received my 4 series coupe yesterday after several delays!

I am both new to BMW and to an Automatic. What is the best / correct way for engaging P on the gearbox and engaging the parking brake?

I have auto hold enabled, so as soon as I come to a stop, and press the stop start button, I believe both P and the Parking Brake is engaged. Is this a problem or should I be actively engaging them?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:58 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As you are finding, it will go to Park automatically on shut down. You can put it in Park ahead of engine off. Either is fine.

Key thing to remember if you engage it manually, only use Park when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:13 AM   #3
RC101
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As you are finding, it will go to Park automatically on shut down. You can put it in Park ahead of engine off. Either is fine.

Key thing to remember if you engage it manually, only use Park when stationary.
Thank you for confirming

What would happen if I am not using auto hold?
Do I need to annually engage both P and Parking Brake when stationary? Or will stop start auto engage both?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC101 View Post
Thank you for confirming

What would happen if I am not using auto hold?
Do I need to annually engage both P and Parking Brake when stationary? Or will stop start auto engage both?
Personally, when not using Autohold, I engage Park while on the footbrake, or parking brake. On my drive which is flat and the car won't roll anyway, I don't use the parking brake overnight.

Out and about, and particularly on slopes and hills, I engage the parking brake first, (if not using Autohold), while on the footbrake. Then ease off the footbrake and engage Park. That puts the load on the parking brake, not the parking pawl in the gearbox.

My car, parking brake only activates automatically when using Autohold.

Experiment a bit, you'll get to know what works best for you.
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
mattypp10.50
G30M3706.50
      01-18-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

For whatever reason I quickly got in the habit of just shutting off the car and letting it go into park automatically. The downside is if you own or ever drive another car that does not do that. I'm always getting out of a family member's Audi without putting it in park.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Out and about, and particularly on slopes and hills, I engage the parking brake first, (if not using Autohold), while on the footbrake. Then ease off the footbrake and engage Park. That puts the load on the parking brake, not the parking pawl in the gearbox.
This is the way it's done. The goal is ZERO strain on the transmission...

So many people put cars in park, let off the brake and then put the parking brake on. While that might stop the car from rolling away should the transmission fail to hold the car in place, it can put a lot of undue stress on a very expensive part of the car's drivetrain.
Appreciate 1
G30M3706.50
      01-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I typically throw on the parking brake while the vehicle is in gear, and then put it in park. Middle of the Northeast winter, so remote start is a boon. Function will put the parking brake on automatically so figured I'd just turn it on when I park for the night.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

this is the right process:
1.- stop the car using foot brake
2.- while pressing foot brake, put N
3.- while pressing foot brake, engage parking brake.
4.- now release foot brake. Car will make a little movement, lying all weight on parking brake (and NOT on gearbox)
5.- now put P on gearbox

This is mandatory when you park on a high hill. On flat, you can let car put P whenever it wants
Appreciate 2
Top Gon404.00
TTG931.50
      01-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarba View Post
4.- now release foot brake. Car will make a little movement, lying all weight on parking brake (and NOT on gearbox)
5.- now put P on gearbox

This is mandatory when you park on a high hill. On flat, you can let car put P whenever it wants
Why do you need 'N' Neutral?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
5.- now put P on gearbox

Why do you need 'N' Neutral?
when you go neutral, you disengage gearbox from wheels, and is the only way you can got al car's weight rely on parking brake.
If you dont go neutral, will be gearbox where car rely weight.
In other words, if you dont go N is the gearbox who will be supporting all weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
when you go neutral, you disengage gearbox from wheels, and is the only way you can got al car's weight rely on parking brake.
In other words, if you dont go N is the gearbox who will be supporting all weight.
I see what you are doing.. I suppose it is the way you can guarantee "100% off-loading" of the parking pawl. The way I described, and use even on hills, limits virtually all loads on the gearbox, if you do it correctly.

On the flat, just shutting down on the stop/start switch (with foot on the brake) with box automatically going to Park, and then engaging the parking brake, doesn't really load the gearbox on models with the electronic parking brake.

Can do so on the older brake designs, with the drum parking brakes, as there can be wheel rotation with the parking brake applied, due to the design. That can load the gearbox, if you don't follow a good sequence.

I've been driving BMW autos for 20-years and park to off-load the parking pawl, but have never used neutral in the process.

A jolt or clunk when putting gearbox in Drive, indicates you have got it wrong.

I can see using Neutral in the sequence on steep hills adding that extra protection to the gearbox, particularly if a driver is a bit 'clunky' on the controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:06 AM   #12
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see what you are doing.. I suppose it is the way you can guarantee "100% off-loading" of the parking pawl. The way I described, and use even on hills, limits virtually all loads on the gearbox, if you do it correctly.

On the flat, just shutting down on the stop/start switch (with foot on the brake) with box automatically going to Park, and then engaging the parking brake, doesn't really load the gearbox on models with the electronic parking brake.

Can do so on the older brake designs, with the drum parking brakes, as there can be wheel rotation with the parking brake applied, due to the design. That can load the gearbox, if you don't follow a good sequence.

I've been driving BMW autos for 20-years and park to off-load the parking pawl, but have never used neutral in the process.

A jolt or clunk when putting gearbox in Drive, indicates you have got it wrong.

I can see using Neutral in the sequence on steep hills adding that extra protection to the gearbox, particularly if a driver is a bit 'clunky' on the controls.
yep, using N is 100% garantee that weight is fully on parking brake.
When used to do it, is fast and simple. With my old car (passat 3c manual) did the same procedure. Gearbox still runs from stock with 320.000 kmts
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 03:37 AM   #13
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
5.- now put P on gearbox

This!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:25 AM   #14
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Or you can just make this simple like most people do and hit the P button after you stop.

If you're on a hill hit the parking brake before P.

Or just hit the stop/start after you stop and let it P itself.
      01-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #15
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

You learn something new everyday. Does hitting the Auto Hold also serve as a "workaround" to foot break > park break > foot break release > park?

I ALWAYS leave my leg on foot break when stopped, on a rolling hill or incline. Why's that a problem?

Also I have a Mild Hybrid, I had no idea Automatic Start/Stop has any direct correlation with parking and parking break. I use a drive mode that always triggers Automatic Start/Stop when coming to a stop. Are you suggesting the parking break and park are engaged automatically when the system kicks in? I probably haven't paid close enough attention to see any of the park/break icons on the live cockpit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #16
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
5.- now put P on gearbox

+1 Bingo!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:54 AM   #17
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Or you can just make this simple like most people do and hit the P button after you stop.

If you're on a hill hit the parking brake before P.

Or just hit the stop/start after you stop and let it P itself.
this does not garantee that parking brake is where weight relies on.
And if car moves itself after doing that and release foot brake, IS gearbox who supports the weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #18
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
For whatever reason I quickly got in the habit of just shutting off the car and letting it go into park automatically. The downside is if you own or ever drive another car that does not do that. I'm always getting out of a family member's Audi without putting it in park.
You're not alone. Except that it's in my own A7. Damn car once rolled off but luckily I got back in quick enough to catch it before anything bad happened. Another thing is comfort access. I keep forgetting to lock my Audis!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #19
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I hold the brake, put in park, and while I keep holding the brake I apply the parking brake. Easy peasy
Appreciate 0