Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Recoding a G20 after relocating it to a different country

01-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #23
Satchnz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Because you obviously fail to realize how wireless networks work.

It might be compatible equipment wise. It might not. But being compatible is only half the issue.

BMW will not be paying for you to roam in New Zealand in your UK car.

Different Countries and Companies use different LTE Bands and different modulation schemes.
Sorry but that was a double post. Was having issues with the site timing out while trying to reply and it’s posted my reply twice, once after you had already replied. Sorry about that.

Ok so from what I now gather is if the SIM and modem in a UK BMW are compatible with the mobile provider that BMW NZ use, the car would theoretically work in NZ. If this were the case, the next step would be to ask BMW NZ if they would be willing to add the vehicle to the NZ database or whatever.

Am I on the right track now?

Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchnz View Post
Quote:
Because you obviously fail to realize how wireless networks work.

It might be compatible equipment wise. It might not. But being compatible is only half the issue.

BMW will not be paying for you to roam in New Zealand in your UK car.

Different Countries and Companies use different LTE Bands and different modulation schemes.
Sorry but that was a double post. Was having issues with the site timing out while trying to reply and it's posted my reply twice, once after you had already replied. Sorry about that.

Ok so from what I now gather is if the SIM and modem in a UK BMW are compatible with the mobile provider that BMW NZ use, the car would theoretically work in NZ. If this were the case, the next step would be to ask BMW NZ if they would be willing to add the vehicle to the NZ database or whatever.

Am I on the right track now?

Thanks again for your help.
No, because the sim needs to be on a free roaming plan which Vodafone UK does not offer in NZ.

I posted the free roaming Countries twice so how did you miss it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #25
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
No, because the sim needs to be on a free roaming plan which Vodafone UK does not offer in NZ.

I posted the free roaming Countries twice so how did you miss it?
Well it’s clear that I obviously don’t understand this subject very well (hence why I posted in the first place), and it’s also clear that I’m struggling to understand what you are trying to tell me.

It is obvious (even to me) that I won’t be able to use a UK mobile plan and connection in NZ, and I don’t just expect the car to function fully in NZ without any changes. I’ve never had this expectation. All I’ve ever wanted to know is if it is technically possible to get the full functions of a UK BMW working in another country (NZ in this case) as I’m sure I’m not the only person who has ever wanted to do this. And if it is technically possible, what can/needs be done and what do I have to sacrifice in terms of features that I’ll never get working in NZ.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:48 PM   #26
Satchnz
Rep

Looks like I’ve exhausted my help on here.

I’ve put the question to BMW New Zealand to see what is possible and what isn’t. I’ll post the outcome once known as someone someday might find this info useful.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #27
Satchnz
Rep

Ok I have discussed this with BMW in New Zealand and will post the results here just in case anyone else wants to know in future, as there doesn’t appear to be much knowledge on this subject here.

iDrive 7 - can be changed by the user. Miles <=> Kms, Mpg <=> km/l

Navigation - local maps can be loaded at a cost

ConnectedDrive - this is a no go due to “issues with Germany”. My car would forever be tied to a UK dealership. I could not get any further info on what the issues are, but it sounds like it is a policy decision rather than a technical limitation.

Maybe one day BMW will change the rules but it’s not possible for now.

Hopefully this info helps someone else out one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:22 AM   #28
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchnz View Post
Ok I have discussed this with BMW in New Zealand and will post the results here just in case anyone else wants to know in future, as there doesn’t appear to be much knowledge on this subject here.

iDrive 7 - can be changed by the user. Miles <=> Kms, Mpg <=> km/l

Navigation - local maps can be loaded at a cost

ConnectedDrive - this is a no go due to “issues with Germany”. My car would forever be tied to a UK dealership. I could not get any further info on what the issues are, but it sounds like it is a policy decision rather than a technical limitation.

Maybe one day BMW will change the rules but it’s not possible for now.

Hopefully this info helps someone else out one day.
Hi there,

Not sure if you're still active on here but I thought I might shed some light. BMW (and other high end makes such as Range Rover, Mercedes, etc.) block country geo-coding. This is to keep people basically from doing exactly what you're doing - buying a car in one market for cheaper and importing it. This was especially prevalent maybe 10 years ago when some folks in China were buying cars in the US and shipping back to China in an attempt to get around VAT and other related costs with the way that they import it or whatever.

So to combat this, BMW HQ more or less as time goes on makes it harder and harder. F chassis' it's much easier to do, but it looks like they've locked it down even harder for G series.

I bring up this topic because I'm in a similar boat, through Diplomatic sales I bought a US spec G20 while overseas, and seem to be having issues getting CarPlay to work.

My understanding however is this is mostly just coding. BMW isn't going to take the time to put different hardware in every car based on what country it is going to. They now have what's called a virtual SIM instead of a physical SIM and the system works where it can be used in multiple places, it's just coded differently.
      12-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #29
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

If you are here for 2 years, get a 24 month lease.

By that time the LCI will be out and you will be in a better position to decide if it's still worth it to buy new in uk or nz. Bare in mind by then brexit will have had its full effect as well
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #30
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
If you are here for 2 years, get a 24 month lease.

By that time the LCI will be out and you will be in a better position to decide if it's still worth it to buy new in uk or nz. Bare in mind by then brexit will have had its full effect as well
But his point was is that the car is substantially cheaper in the UK than NZ.

And if he leases, then he's out all his lease payments vs. having paid into the car with that money.