Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

09-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #375
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I see what you mean. How did you remove it?
I did not remove it. I found that if I press down on the grill it moves a little. Hence it vibrates and rattles against the glass or metal frame under it. I wedged 3mm thick felt tape between the grill and the glass (just pushed down the grill and forced the tape through). This has greatly dampened the rattles. I can still hear sometimes but very faint and only while driving on course chip roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #376
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
I did not remove it. I found that if I press down on the grill it moves a little. Hence it vibrates and rattles against the glass or metal frame under it. I wedged 3mm thick felt tape between the grill and the glass (just pushed down the grill and forced the tape through). This has greatly dampened the rattles. I can still hear sometimes but very faint and only while driving on course chip roads.
Do you get the rattles too? Looking at the design I'm surprised it's not more commonly reported. It's just unacceptable for a luxury car. I saw the back of a camry - only soft materials in the parcel shelf.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #377
xinzeli123
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, (Sold) G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhowitzer View Post
Is this something a garage would do for you under warranty? I have the same issue. Over continuous bumps and when I drive 50-60mphs. But not always.
I've tried before. Annoying thing is only the person in the drivers seat can hear it. The few times I've sat in passenger I haven't heard anything from the right side. All techs that tried to drive/listen couldn't hear it either.

It's especially bad on rough roads and maybe colder environments. Sounds like someone shaking a box of tic tacs... but I have misophonia so I'm mega sensitive to noises so I'm very likely exaggerating.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #378
beamerboiiii
Registered
Rep
Drives: G22

Hello, i have this annoying vibration on my G22 among with several other rattles/squeaks (Driver B pillar, both of ceiling lights, undefined rattle from passenger side and somewhere around back seats) but vibration thing is another level for 30k KM car imo (first year). Anyone come across with this? Sound stops with touching silver frame. Even road marks can cause this sound but not always.

Here are 2 recordings of them

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lmaZMdmmYUc

Last edited by beamerboiiii; 10-05-2022 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:35 AM   #379
Honour84
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissbell View Post
all,

i have been following this forum and i have a 2021 G20 330i base and i started getting the clicking noise/rattle in right rear side. i assumed it was the seat release levels and the cabling associated with it. i added under-furniture velcro pads and it did help, but did not solve the problem completely. i then took it to the dealer (bmw of grapevine in dallas,tx area) and they isolated it with the help of a bmw engineer to the rear shock absorber center plate assembly. i can share the details if anyone is interested. the parts had to flown in from germany and they called it "center plate", basically which mounts the rear suspension to the strut towers. apparently there is a bulletin for this problem and it is a known issue for this generation of vehicles.

3 days in, the noise seems to have been gone and will update if it recurs again. also, i changed the tires from stock bridgestone turanza(was at 4/10 by 8600miles) to non run flat michelin pilot sport all season 4s from costco. huge difference to the ride in general and handling has sharpened quite a bit, especially the steering feel.
Hello,

If you can share details would be great seems i have same issue.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #380
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pic. Really helps for a noob. What model do you have? On my M340 G20 its just so hard getting between the grill and windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:38 AM   #381
Mario2020
Poland
Rep
Drives: G20 318i

Hi my bmw g20 2.0 gasoline, the car is new it has 1000km mileage, lately when it's cold in the morning my car makes a strange noise,
After starting the engine and driving from 3 km, the engine is not 100% warmed up yet, standing in a stationary gear with the brake pressed, I hear rattling from the passenger area, when I press P at this point, it stops rattling when I press the first gear again with I can hear it again when the engine is already warmed up to operating temperature, this whore does not occur,

This sound can only be heard in the cabin, I asked my friend to hold the engine cover with his hand and suddenly the rattling sound stops, I thought that the problem is in the engine cover, unfortunately this is not the reason, I drove 2 days without this cover and the sound still occurs, t sounds like that the plastic hit the plastic with a high frequency, the car was already in the service twice, they looked for a problem but did not find it,

On the website they thought it was from plastics in the pit, they attached additional soundproofing, but it did not help ..

It seems to me that when the engine is in gear and on the brake, it slightly changes position and some part of the engine may vibrate against something and it makes such a noise, or maybe the exhaust system?

But why, when the engine has the appropriate operating temperature, this sound does not occur until the next morning?

Have any of you had similar problems?

Last edited by Mario2020; 11-02-2022 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #382
Mario2020
Poland
Rep
Drives: G20 318i

Up
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #383
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pic. Really helps for a noob. What model do you have? On my M340 G20 its just so hard getting between the grill and windshield.
320d. Very hard to get to that area. Had to press down on the plastic grill and shove through the felt pad at the same time. I have three pieces of pads inserted.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #384
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
320d. Very hard to get to that area. Had to press down on the plastic grill and shove through the felt pad at the same time. I have three pieces of pads inserted.
I made a separate post about my experience. Foreman worked on parcel shelf but I think ultimately replacing the door clips on one of the rear passenger doors was the fix that addressed my problem. Cabin is much quieter now and the car is more fun to drive. They also installed felt tape on the rear seat latches located in the trunk. But like I said, I think it was the rear door that was the culprit all along.

Advise to take the car in and have dealer deal with it — no pun intended.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      11-30-2022, 11:09 PM   #385
jiimmmayyy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Less than 20 degrees means my car has started to rattle a lot more, hope it goes away in the spring lol
      12-01-2022, 04:34 AM   #386
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I made a separate post about my experience. Foreman worked on parcel shelf but I think ultimately replacing the door clips on one of the rear passenger doors was the fix that addressed my problem. Cabin is much quieter now and the car is more fun to drive. They also installed felt tape on the rear seat latches located in the trunk. But like I said, I think it was the rear door that was the culprit all along.

Advise to take the car in and have dealer deal with it — no pun intended.
I have taken the car in multiple times. Each time they say they have not been able to reproduce the issue (true). The rattle suddenly appears, as a daily driver I used to face it multiple times a week but of course never during a service test. I have taken videos clearly showing the problem. They acknowledge there is an issue but claim helplessness. Have reconciled to it now, much more quieter with the felt between the parcel shelf and glass
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #387
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Recently I've got strange noise coming from B-pillar, diver's side. Sound is very faint but just next to my ear so it bothers me a little.
It is very metallic-like, like some spring or a resonating piece of metal. I can hear it only when going over small bumps or uneven surface.
Could it be something loose at the seat belt mount to the pillar?

Any suggestion will be appreciated
I had the exact same problem. I took it to the dealership and they said it was from the locking mechanism. It came back a couple weeks ago. I am not 100% sure if it is the same location/sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:46 AM   #388
Tom995
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerboiiii View Post
Hello, i have this annoying vibration on my G22 among with several other rattles/squeaks (Driver B pillar, both of ceiling lights, undefined rattle from passenger side and somewhere around back seats) but vibration thing is another level for 30k KM car imo (first year). Anyone come across with this? Sound stops with touching silver frame. Even road marks can cause this sound but not always.

Here are 2 recordings of them

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lmaZMdmmYUc

I have this exact issue! Can't seem to pin down a solution... Have you had any luck sorting it?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:01 AM   #389
beamerboiiii
Registered
Rep
Drives: G22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom995 View Post
I have this exact issue! Can't seem to pin down a solution... Have you had any luck sorting it?
After going 3 times to dealer for this problem they finally said "okay we will try isolating center console".. and it is okay! (at least for now)

They said it is risky to demount/mount center console completely without being 100% sure cause of problem but i insisted on it.

I still have rattles/noises around car but can't fix, i am not sure where they came and dealer says "they are normal". I think that's poor build quality, car shouldn't broke down at 30000km like that and i have poor braking pads too (i will change rear brake pads for the third time at 35000km)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 04:27 PM   #390
SHADY0100
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
I had the same rattle. I fixed it by wedging a bit of felt in between the housing and the display. As you press the display your will notice there is a gap that forms of 2-3mm, this is what causes the rattle.
Can you show with a picture where you put that felt tape?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #391
SHADY0100
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwDriverStockholm View Post
I think I've found a source of annoying creaking noise coming from around the dashboard. I have this noise sometimes while driving on certain surfaces faster than 60 km/h.

I've been touching everything that I could touch while the car had a cruise control activated and after of number of weeks I think I've nailed it. The noise is coming from the steering column shroud (which I think is made from leather or similar material) where it touches the plastic just behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel is adjustable so we can move it in different directions. Because I'm tall and I like low sitting position the steering wheel is kind of extended and quite low in its position. There is a shroud that cover steering column and when I've touched in that area the sound disappeared.

I need to confirm my theory and share some pictures but I'm so exited that I want to share this right away =)

Happy driving!
Have you found how to solve it?
Could you share?
Sound is driving me crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 12:35 PM   #392
Mr_BCollins
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtex93 View Post
Did anyone have rattle in front of driver, on headliner? It is like just behind sunshade. Clicking noise which is reproducible under pressure.
I dealt with this one. If you pull down on the corner of the headliner where the clicking is coming from, the clip will pop free. I used some trim removal tools to make some space and used felt tape to pad the gap. It fixed it. There's a clip that doesn't stay put, so it taps on the whole making the clicking sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:39 PM   #393
Jayscott
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d XDrive G20 (69)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Had the car for 2months now. There is a rattling noise coming from either the trunk or back seats anyone had any luck identifying the mystery creaking sound in their G20??

Update on rattle with a solution:

Solution for center speaker rattle:

Cause: frequency of 175Hz causes the plastic grate to vibrate. The sound is created due to lack of silencing material around plastic contact points

Solution: remove grate add silencing material to cover contact points.

Guide:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652142
I’ve had the same issues. However, I’m not 100% it’s that. It’s currently at my local BMW they are investigating.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #394
SnowBob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissbell View Post
all,

i have been following this forum and i have a 2021 G20 330i base and i started getting the clicking noise/rattle in right rear side. i assumed it was the seat release levels and the cabling associated with it. i added under-furniture velcro pads and it did help, but did not solve the problem completely. i then took it to the dealer (bmw of grapevine in dallas,tx area) and they isolated it with the help of a bmw engineer to the rear shock absorber center plate assembly. i can share the details if anyone is interested. the parts had to flown in from germany and they called it "center plate", basically which mounts the rear suspension to the strut towers. apparently there is a bulletin for this problem and it is a known issue for this generation of vehicles.

3 days in, the noise seems to have been gone and will update if it recurs again. also, i changed the tires from stock bridgestone turanza(was at 4/10 by 8600miles) to non run flat michelin pilot sport all season 4s from costco. huge difference to the ride in general and handling has sharpened quite a bit, especially the steering feel.
I think I have the same issue. Thought it was also the seat release mechanism but took turned driving around so the our heads in the trunk area holding bits of trim down and it didn’t help. Could you or anyone else share this bulletin to help diagnose this with the dealer please?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 09:34 PM   #395
Dr. Avit Grey
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I've had this rattle for over a year now. The dealer looked at it several times but can't figure out the source.

It happens from 1500-2500rpm and only while moving, noticeable after each upshift.

https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-video...44666699272192
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 11:23 PM   #396
welikefujika
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Can someone help me identify this rattle? I can't tell if it's coming from behind the steering wheel, or the side speakers? If you happen to know a fix please let me know, it's driving me insane.

Appreciate 0