Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

02-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #243
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrill View Post
When driving in -3 celsius the noise was heavily reduced, almost silent.

Strange!

Anyone else noticed a difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Yesterday our BMW workshop sent more sound recordings to the German engineers and they are waiting for a respons. So things are still rolling.
Claus - nice to get some updates from you, on my car, as I don't get any ;-)
Quote:

Strange!

Hard to say. We haven't really had sub zero tempatures this winter but I' going to Austria this weekend so I'll keep an "ear" on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #244
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:

Strange!

I have noticed that there is a difference in soundlevel, and I also thought that it was related to temperature. But I don't really know if it is that or something else. Today it was +8 and it was very high noise level today,
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #245
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
This sound is similar but is not the culprit, because I can hear it when the car rolls with the engine off.
I see that Glaede appreciated your comment.

But, that is confusing. Glaede posted the video that I am addressing. In that video the car is not moving, but the engine is on.

So if Glaede is posting a video of the sound/noise he hears, and you're saying that the sound/noise you are hearing is "similar", but you can hear it when the car is rolling with the engine off, then that suggests you guys are having two different issues that are similar in perceived sound.
And if that is true, then the sound/noises are being created in completely different ways.

The video's sound/noise clearly is a non moving car with the engine running. And your noise is there when the car is moving, but the engine is off.

So then fellas, perhaps the noises and sources are different?

The cold weather sound level difference is interesting.
Now, I'm just going to throw some things out there.
On an off chance possibility, I wonder if this sound, or the other, is related to something in the HVAC plumbing/routing of the air flow? If you set the airflow to manual mode and then turn the re-circulation on and off, and note if the sound changes.

And, the sound in the video, where is the air box located in the engine bay?

Last edited by RPM90; 02-07-2020 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #246
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quote:
This sound is similar but is not the culprit, because I can hear it when the car rolls with the engine off.
I see that Glaede appreciated your comment.

But, that is confusing. Glaede posted the video that I am addressing. In that video the car is not moving, but the engine is on.

So if Glaede is posting a video of the sound/noise he hears, and you're saying that the sound/noise you are hearing is "similar", but you can hear it when the car is rolling with the engine off, then that suggests you guys are having two different issues that are similar in perceived sound.
And if that is true, then the sound/noises are being created in completely different ways.

The video's sound/noise clearly is a non moving car with the engine running. And your noise is there when the car is moving, but the engine is off.

So then fellas, perhaps the noises and sources are different?

The cold weather sound level difference is interesting.
On an off chance possibility, I wonder if this sound, or the other, is related to something in the HVAC plumbing/routing of the air flow? If you set the airflow to manual mode and then turn the re-circulation on and off, and note if the sound changes.

I can't answer for Glaede, but I think that he mentioned that he can't hear it inside the car at iddle. Of course there are a lot of noise in the engine bay when the engine is running. I think we all have the same problem.
Appreciate 3
Glaede49.50
RPM90889.50
      02-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #247
Wmb5m
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d xdrive Touring -20

I drove today a brand new G21 320d Xdrive with M-Chassi and it was totally silent!
It hasn´t got the M-Brakes, but I have driven G20s with M-Brakes and they were also dead quiet.
Loved that car, and hate mine even more now
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #248
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Quote:

It is not the HVAC. I've already tried experimenting, different fan speed, a/c on or completely off - no change to the sound. But in fact it is somewhat similar to the airflow noise (howling-like sound). But it could be the bearing as well, really difficult to tell. The odd thing that strikes me is, that the pitch of the noise stays pretty much the same regardless of the engine rpm or how fast I drive, appears around 40 kph (25mph) and then it simply stays. The volume changes a bit with speed, but not drastically. Basically the noise stays the same during acceleration, braking, fast or slow driving. Straight line or in fast corners.
Appreciate 3
XXXX19.50
RPM90889.50
      02-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #249
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Quote:

It is not the HVAC. I've already tried experimenting, different fan speed, a/c on or completely off - no change to the sound. But in fact it is somewhat similar to the airflow noise (howling-like sound). But it could be the bearing as well, really difficult to tell. The odd thing that strikes me is, that the pitch of the noise stays pretty much the same regardless of the engine rpm or how fast I drive, appears around 40 kph (25mph) and then it simply stays. The volume changes a bit with speed, but not drastically. Basically the noise stays the same during acceleration, braking, fast or slow driving. Straight line or in fast corners.
Spot on!
Appreciate 1
XXXX19.50
      02-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #250
McKrill
Rep
Drives: BMW G21, BMW Z3 M

Went to my BMW dealer today and test drove a G20 with M brakes and a G21 without. G20: Noise, G21: No noise.

But the encouraging news is that when I mentioned the problem to a technician he spoke to someone at BMW Sweden Technical support and this person reassured me that BMW is working frenetically on finding a solution! Testing different sets of wheels, dismantling the propshaft, etc, etc... Both in Sweden and in Germany.

All of you with the noise should report it to your dealer and ask them to create a "ticket" which BMW then will include in the analysis/report.

Fingers crossed ;-)
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #251
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Quote:
Went to my BMW dealer today and test drove a G20 with M brakes and a G21 without. G20: Noise, G21: No noise.

But the encouraging news is that when I mentioned the problem to a technician he spoke to someone at BMW Sweden Technical support and this person reassured me that BMW is working frenetically on finding a solution! Testing different sets of wheels, dismantling the propshaft, etc, etc... Both in Sweden and in Germany.

All of you with the noise should report it to your dealer and ask them to create a "ticket" which BMW then will include in the analysis/report.

Fingers crossed ;-)
Thanks for the heads up! A very good news indeed! But still I'm slightly concerned that they seem to have no clue what's going on
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #252
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! A very good news indeed! But still I'm slightly concerned that they seem to have no clue what's going on
If the problem isn't obvious, then there has to be a process of elimination. Doesn't mean they haven't a clue. I'd say they haven't got a solution, 'yet'. May be some unusual mixes of spec', producing this issue.

The M-sport brakes have come up again, this time a G20 with the noise. Even this builds the picture of it not being solely a Touring issue.

We discussed the brake airflows a while back, after seeing the strange markings in the filth inside one rim. Could still be related to M-sport brakes, but clearly not that alone. Could be related to and/or in combination with something else...
Appreciate 2
Glaede49.50
      02-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #253
jugga
Rep
Drives: 2020 330d xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
I had my 330d x drive m-sport at the dealer today for troubleshooting. I have the noise since I got the car in december. The car is on studded tires, 18 inch rims, and I have driven 5000km since new. My dealer tried a different set of tires, not the solution. I have a new appointment in february, there is a servicebullentin that som version of the prop shaft support bearing can cause noise. My dealer is ordering the updated part. Next appointment they will tear the car down and check the part number on the bearing, and if it is the faulty version replace it.
The bearing sounds like a probable source of the noise to me. I hope it does the trick. I will post the result when done
Got my car back from the dealer, they have checked the propshaft bearing and found nothing wrong. The say they have the same sound in their demos but not as loud as in mine. The winding/grinding noise is a product feature, there is nothing wrong. I Believe this will be my last bmw.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #254
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had my 330d x drive m-sport at the dealer today for troubleshooting. I have the noise since I got the car in december. The car is on studded tires, 18 inch rims, and I have driven 5000km since new. My dealer tried a different set of tires, not the solution. I have a new appointment in february, there is a servicebullentin that som version of the prop shaft support bearing can cause noise. My dealer is ordering the updated part. Next appointment they will tear the car down and check the part number on the bearing, and if it is the faulty version replace it.
The bearing sounds like a probable source of the noise to me. I hope it does the trick. I will post the result when done
Got my car back from the dealer, they have checked the propshaft bearing and found nothing wrong. The say they have the same sound in their demos but not as loud as in mine. The winding/grinding noise is a product feature, there is nothing wrong. I Believe this will be my last bmw.
It can't be a product feature because there are a lot of cars with m-chassi that don't have this sound. Don't accept this!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #255
jugga
Rep

I love cars and motorcycles, a couple of years ago I would have invested a lot of energy to get an issue like this fixed. Now I have things I consider more important to invest my energy in. On average I buy 2-3 brand new cars a year privately and for my business. The most so far have been bmws from the same dealer. I am moving my business to another brand. The KIA stinger could be an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #256
McKrill
Rep

Ask your dealer to issue a "ticket" to BMW Sweden. Like I wrote, they are working on it. Which is your dealer? Ask them to contact the technical support, they will verify they are working on it. I.e. not just accepting it as a product feature...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #257
jugga
Rep

I beleive the dealer have done all they can do. The problem is that there is no fix, beacause nobody knows whats causing the noise.

I drive a lot, this sound is annoying. I dont want be annoyed for another 6 months or the years it might take before Bmw have figured this out.

I am not accepting the product feature, thats why I am moving on to another brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #258
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
It can't be product feature because there are a lot of cars with m-chassi that don't have this sound. Don't accept this!
We hear this sort of thing from lazy dealers.

I remember going through similar threads, the F10/11 having steering pull and high frequency vibrations felt through the steering wheel. Dealers started saying that these issues were normal, when they had new demo cars with the issue. Yes, there were problems, but wasn't a normal feature.

What a lot of rubbish saying weird faults are features. The engineers never designed the cars and signed them off with issues like that. I wouldn't be driving an early build F11 if there was that sort of problem. No steering pull in mine, or any high frequency steering vibrations.

The other get out is, "some do, some don't". All lazy customer service, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #259
McKrill
Rep

Jugga, which is your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #260
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
I beleive the dealer have done all they can do. The problem is that there is no fix, beacause nobody knows whats causing the noise.

I drive a lot, this sound is annoying. I dont want be annoyed for another 6 months or the years it might take before Bmw have figured this out.

I am not accepting the product feature, thats why I am moving on to another brand.
So your dealer take it back?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #261
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

It should be possible for the dealer to replace the disc brakes, calipers etc. with a standard setup. I don't think my dealer tried that, but they still have my car, so I might suggest that they try that out.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:09 AM   #262
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It should be possible for the dealer to replace the disc brakes, calipers etc. with a standard setup. I don't think my dealer tried that, but they still have my car, so I might suggest that they try that out.
Quote:
I still suspect the m-sport brake plates picking up the tirenoise and amplifying it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #263
McKrill
Rep

Has none of us heard of, or driven, a silent G20/21 with M-Brakes?

Answering myself: (Wmbm5 wrote on 8th February) -but I have driven G20s with M-Brakes and they were also dead quiet.

Last edited by McKrill; 02-13-2020 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:23 AM   #264
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Does any of you have M Performance brakes?
Not the sport brakes (S2NHA), but the even bigger M Performance brakes.
Appreciate 0