Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Polishing/Buffing scratches from a detail shop.

07-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Polishing/Buffing scratches from a detail shop.

Looking for some advice here. I have owned my M340i for just over a month. I have hand washed it three times (microfiber mitt, foam cannon, microfiber drying cloths, and a very light soap) and the paint was immaculate before taking it in. It has never seen an automatic car wash, let alone an auto with brushes/scrubbers!

I dropped it off at a detail shop (Sheen Auto Spa) for an exterior wash, paint sealant, and wax. When I picked it up I was shown some scratches on the back of the trunk lid that the washing tech had "noticed" while washing it. He was able to remove it (mostly) by using some detailing spray but I am pretty sure it is still there. Stupidly, I didn't inspect the car for other damage before driving away.

Today I noticed two other areas that are damaged in the same way (see pictures below). It appears to be from the polishing/buffing tool based on the circular patterns.

Here are my two questions:
  1. How do you think I should approach the detail shop regarding the repair of these scratches? I do not have any way to prove that they were not there prior to bringing it in but I know that they were not.
  2. While I know its hard to tell the extent of the damage from the pictures, should this be something easily repaired? If so, what do you think I am looking at to get it fixed (assuming this shop does not own their mistakes and fix it)?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I would take it to another shop and have them use a bit of cutting compound. It will come out easily. You could try the same shop but I wouldn't trust them after this so I'd bite the bullet and just pay a little to have it corrected properly.
fuxxo136.50
      07-25-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I would take it to another shop and have them use a bit of cutting compound. It will come out easily. You could try the same shop but I wouldn't trust them after this so I'd bite the bullet and just pay a little to have it corrected properly.
Yeah...you are probably right. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

I would never go to that detail shop ever again. Looks like they don’t have an eye for detail at all. Take it to a decent detailshop. Shouldn’t be difficult to fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
justbananas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

You would approach them nicely, and in a timely manner. If they are willing to do the right thing, let them. If not, your only real choice is to have someone else do the work and eat that bill.

Unless you have some real reason to believe they would be combative with you already.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #6
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I'd probably err on the side of caution here and suggest that they probably were there already, its far more likely that a dealership induced the marks and used some products to quickly cover them, dealerships generally don't have the time or budget to get the cars properly detailed, they get a quick cheap job to make them look glossy and cover any marks, its a pet hate of mine and ask that cars are not washed or prepared in any way prior to delivery, ive even asked for mine to have the packing plastic covering the panels left in place. Even then im expecting there to be sanding marks and other poor finish artifacts still there from the paintshop, again they don't give it the proper time as 99% of people don't even notice, let alone care, shame really. When the Detailer, assuming he's a reputable one, has done a thorough wash he's just removed the products used and pointed them out. As others have said these should compound out fairly easily, perhaps approach another Detailer and ask for a price to rectify if you're unsure about the first one. As with all things, you pay for what you get
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
Timsdetailing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Sorry for the bad experience with the detailer here. As a detailer myself I will always inspect the vehicle and point out the major areas so that the client knows these are pre-existing. Based on the services you described, it doesn't seem possible to introduce those kinds of scratches. As the post above mentioned, dealerships are notorious when it comes to covering up damages and do not take the time to properly detail the cars (saw a guy taking a long handled brush at the BMW dealership and I have never asked for them to detail it since).

The good news is these are clear coat scratches and can be removed, find a reputable detailer and make note of the areas you are concerned about and they should be able to take care of it.
Appreciate 0