Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

05-04-2021, 04:34 AM   #331
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

Just picked up my ‘21 M340 from getting the MPE done. Dealer charged me two hours of labor FYI. I probably should have had it shipped directly to the dealer and avoid bugging my buddy for his pickup truck. What a big ol’ hunk of metal.

Initial thoughts: I was on the fence because I really don’t want to get stuck with a loud, droney exhaust on a car I’ll be keeping for some years of regular use. But a car like this deserves for its magnificent engine to be heard - at least more than in the stock setup.

So far I am very pleased. There is a noticeable change to the baseline note in comfort mode, but it’s muted enough to just make the car sound a little throatier without being offensive. It will get loud if you get revvy in comfort, but that’s fine by me. You can drive without jumping the revs if you’re really concerned.

In the sport modes it’s definitely louder and gets you more overrun burbles, but not a lot more burbles. This is good for me because I like a growly turbo-6, but prefer my overrun sounds on the tasteful side.

In my opinion, the MPE gives just that extra bit of character the car needed. It’s great that BMW has an option for that while keeping the car OEM. So is it really “$2k better” than stock? I don’t look at it that way. I spent $2k to fix a problem the way I like. One less thing on my mind.

Last edited by Moonbags; 05-04-2021 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 5
ASHpro11.50
russell21147.00
tarrant64116.00
MBM3401022.50
      05-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #332
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440Xi and X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbags View Post
Just picked up my ‘21 M340 from getting the MPE done. Dealer charged me two hours of labor FYI. I probably should have had it shipped directly to the dealer and avoid bugging my buddy for his pickup truck. What a big ol’ hunk of metal.

Initial thoughts: I was on the fence because I really don’t want to get stuck with a loud, droney exhaust on a car I’ll be keeping for some years of regular use. But a car like this deserves for its magnificent engine to be heard - at least more than in the stock setup.

So far I am very pleased. There is a noticeable change to the baseline note in comfort mode, but it’s muted enough to just make the car sound a little throatier without being offensive. It will get loud if you get revvy in comfort, but that’s fine by me. You can drive without jumping the revs if you’re really concerned.

In the sport modes it’s definitely louder and gets you more overrun burbles, but not a lot more burbles. This is good for me because I like a growly turbo-6, but prefer my overrun sounds on the tasteful side.

In my opinion, the MPE gives just that extra bit of character the car needed. It’s great that BMW has an option for that while keeping the car OEM. So is it really “$2k better” than stock? I don’t look at it that way. I spent $2k to fix a problem the way I like. One less thing on my mind.
My experience with my newly installed MPE on my '21 M440 is very similar (to include the install charge). At cruising, even in the sport modes there is not a lot of drone until maybe 3K+ RPM, under throttle at a low load you get a solid growl even in Eco Plus. Definitely some good overrun pop/burble but not in a distasteful cheap tuner sort of way.

There is a big difference on starts though! Warm starts give you a nice bark and a few burbles before it settles down. On a cold start... loud roar followed by growly burbles which persist until everything warms up.

Definitely worth it in my opinion, considering its the same price as most of the others out there but keeps it all nicely OEM as well as balanced for both comfort and fun.
Appreciate 1
MBM3401022.50
      05-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #333
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21.M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclou View Post
hi after reading everything, i would like to get 1 but at this price i want to be sure.. and here in quebec they havent installed one yet.. i just bought my m340i last week i had a c43 and i loved the upshift explosion im wondering if someone can compare the mpe with the amg exhaust on the c43 ? because my brother have my c43 now and def a lot more loud then my m340i but i do way more burble
hi joe, i live in qc as well, know a place where to buy the MPE?
trying to save on shipping from ordering overseas also the delay..

could you post some vids. id love to hear what it sounds..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #334
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

I'm selling my m performance exhaust, but im located in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #335
senjian.zhou
Rep
Drives: g20

It looks pretty good
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #336
FROUV
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2017 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko450 View Post
hi joe, i live in qc as well, know a place where to buy the MPE?
trying to save on shipping from ordering overseas also the delay..

could you post some vids. id love to hear what it sounds..
Why not try your locale BMW dealer? I am sure they can get it for you relatively quickly. I added it to my car after it was ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #337
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I ordered mine from here: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

And will have it installed at the dealer. Should only be 30 min of labor or so.
this site legit? they are significantly cheaper then my local dealer here in Montreal Quebec (i am new to bimmer came from 8 years of infiniti..)

dealer quoted me at 2350$ CAD plus roughly 2 hours labor (2-300$) plus tax

so 1,523$ USD (if priced in USD) would be roughly 1800$ CAD even with shipping (1-200$)would come out much cheaper.

do i ???
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #338
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
still have this?
fit 2021 m340i?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #339
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROUV View Post
Why not try your locale BMW dealer? I am sure they can get it for you relatively quickly. I added it to my car after it was ordered.
crooks i tell you.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:06 AM   #340
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko450 View Post
Quote:
I ordered mine from here: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

And will have it installed at the dealer. Should only be 30 min of labor or so.
this site legit? they are significantly cheaper then my local dealer here in Montreal Quebec (i am new to bimmer came from 8 years of infiniti..)

dealer quoted me at 2350$ CAD plus roughly 2 hours labor (2-300$) plus tax

so 1,523$ USD (if priced in USD) would be roughly 1800$ CAD even with shipping (1-200$)would come out much cheaper.

do i ???
I also had to pay tax and UPS freight shipping, which brought the cost of the MPE to a hair under $2k USD un-installed. You don't save much. But yes, the site is legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #341
FROUV
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2017 Subaru WRX

Quote:
I also had to pay tax and UPS freight shipping, which brought the cost of the MPE to a hair under $2k USD un-installed. You don't save much. But yes, the site is legit.
Yes. Do not forget taxes and duties. Often overlooked costs but when the transport company holds your goods for ransom you just have to pay. No way of knowing exactly what the amount will be but consider 15% for taxes and at least another 10-15% for duties. I do not think you are going to save much.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #342
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
What year & model does your MPE fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #343
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

It's off a 2020 m340 xdrive, but I think it will fit any m340 or m440. I'm making arrangements with someone currently tho, I can let u know if it doesn't work out for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:25 PM   #344
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

I hope someone can upload a video of mixed comfort mode driving only! The stock exhaust even with a catless downpipe is dead quite.
I would love to get a sense of how much that changes with MPE.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #345
HuggiePacino
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

The exhaust is worth it. I took delivery of my M340i and I can tell you that it gets better after 1k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #346
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

I am getting mine installed tomorrow and hope I feel exactly as you do about it ... Will let you guys know how it turns out.
      12-31-2021, 08:17 PM   #347
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

My 2022 is in production with MPE. I live on a quiet street with a baby on the way next year…. How much trouble am I going to be in with the wife after the first cold start?

Had an F30 with catless downpipe, dual resonator delete, AA axleback, and cold start delete with BM3. She didn’t mind that…

I’ve never heard the G20 MPE cold start in person

Last edited by AddictedTo///M; 12-31-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW976.50
      01-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #348
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
My 2022 is in production with MPE. I live on a quiet street with a baby on the way next year…. How much trouble am I going to be in with the wife after the first cold start?

Had an F30 with catless downpipe, dual resonator delete, AA axleback, and cold start delete with BM3. She didn’t mind that…

How did you get MPE added to your build? My CA said it wasn't available on 2022 models
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #349
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:

I have a AWE exhaust and I’m guessing it’s much louder than the one you’re getting, and my wife still doesn’t know about it

But it’s pretty damn loud and proud, as it should be

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #350
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

Quote:

Ha, she'll be ok with it. MPE is much louder than stock on cold start, but will be tamer than an AWE Track exhaust. Keep the flap open on the MPE and it sounds great in all drive modes. It burbles in sport mode a ton more than stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #351
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeing View Post
How did you get MPE added to your build? My CA said it wasn't available on 2022 models
I would contact your CA if you have a build getting ready for production. I'm a pre-owned CA and it's been on the port installed options list since it first came out. Maybe there was a shortage at some point, but I never heard anything . No issue adding it to my build (see image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I have a AWE exhaust and I’m guessing it’s much louder than the one you’re getting, and my wife still doesn’t know about it

But it’s pretty damn loud and proud, as it should be
Nice! That's the other exhaust I would have considered. Love the look of the quad tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaav View Post
Ha, she'll be ok with it. MPE is much louder than stock on cold start, but will be tamer than an AWE Track exhaust. Keep the flap open on the MPE and it sounds great in all drive modes. It burbles in sport mode a ton more than stock.
Would you say about twice as loud? Cold start is the only part I'm concerned with. I may have to see if it's possible to code out... I usually head to the gym between 5am-5:30am, might have to switch to evening hours.

I will definitely be disconnecting the valve control!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #352
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

Cold start with the valve open is twice as loud as stock. Depends on where you park(garage, parking deck or outside) as to how much that sound will resonate.
Appreciate 2