Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW Group invests 400 million euros for the BMW iNeXT in the Dingolfing plant

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Interesting reading that the great Dingolfing plant has been selected for the home of the iNeXT vehicles.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-for-bmw-inext

BMW Group invests 400 million euros in Plant Dingolfing for BMW iNEXT

December 2, 2019

Dingolfing. The BMW Group is investing around 400 million euros in its Dingolfing vehicle plant for production of the BMW iNEXT. In doing this, it is preparing for the manufacture of pure battery-electric and highly automated BMW cars at its largest European production location.

With the launch of the BMW iNEXT in 2021, Plant Dingolfing will be capable of producing the right mix of fully-electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids and models with combustion engines to suit demand on a single assembly line. “Thanks to our flexible production structures, our plants are ideally equipped to meet the most diverse market needs,” explained Milan Nedeljkovic, member of the Board of Management BMW AG responsible for Production. “We firmly believe that, over the next few years, there will be more than just one solution worldwide for all our customers’ mobility needs. Instead, we expect to see a mix of different drive technologies.” Plug-in hybrids already make up nearly 10 percent of Dingolfing production. The BMW iNEXT will become the plant’s first pure battery-electric vehicle from 2021.

With the current investments and construction work, Plant Dingolfing is not just gearing up for the transition to e-mobility, it is also preparing for standard production of highly-automated vehicles. Milan Nedeljkovic: “As the technology in our cars grows more and more complex, system integration capabilities will become a decisive competitive advantage. With the BMW iNEXT, our Dingolfing location is demonstrating that we are capable of implementing growing product demands in efficient large-scale industrial production.”

New Dingolfing Plant Director Christoph Schröder: “The BMW iNEXT is more than just a new model. It’s a pioneer for many key automotive innovations, especially autonomous driving. It is also paving the way for further rollout of these technologies over the coming years. The current structural measures for the iNEXT will also benefit other models built in Dingolfing in the future.”

Preparations are in full swing in practically all areas. In August, production was interrupted for four weeks to allow the vehicle plant to forge ahead with various construction and remodelling activities and prepare the location for new models like the BMW iNEXT.

The body shop at the heart of the plant was geared up for the BMW iNEXT several months ago. New production lines are currently being built for the body's complex floor assembly. The plant benefits to a large extent from its years of expertise in composite and lightweight construction, as well as from structures created for the current generation of the BMW 7 Series. Production at the plant was already set up for handling an innovative mix of steel, aluminium and CFRP (carbon fibre reinforced plastic) for this model, with one of the industry's longest paint drying ovens, for example.

The BMW iNEXT can also build on many established assembly processes. The new model will be efficiently and flexibly produced on a single line with BMW 5 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series models in one of Dingolfing’s two assembly halls. However, in electrified and highly-automated vehicles like the BMW iNEXT, some work content is distributed differently throughout the manufacturing process than for conventional vehicles. In electric vehicles, certain steps in drive train or assembly installation are omitted, for instance. In other areas, more assembly work is required – for example, installing the battery and corresponding high-voltage cables. Additional sensors, cleaning systems and high-performance computers must also be installed in highly-automated vehicles. Special test stations must therefore be provided to validate these functionalities. This relocation of work content along the production line ultimately also required an extension of the assembly hall and partial restructuring. Construction work on the three-storey assembly annex began back in summer 2018. Over the months, the production lines were gradually constructed and put into operation – for example, in late August, the new “marriage” section of the line where the body and powertrain are joined together.

The BMW iNEXT not only paves the way for future technologies at the Dingolfing vehicle plant – it spans the entire site in a project that gets different parts of the plant working together in a unique way. For example, front axle supports, electric machine transmission and axles for the BMW iNEXT come from the Dingolfing Component Plant 02.10 and the Niederviehbach off-site location. Another area of the plant, Plant 02.20, is responsible for the high-voltage battery and latest-generation electric motor. As the BMW Group's global competence centre for electric drive train production, the plant is currently being massively expanded and further developed. Up to 2,000 employees are expected to work at the location in electric component production over the long term.

Dingolfing Works Council Chairman Stefan Schmid therefore sees the BMW iNEXT as a milestone on the road to future mobility and proof that the long-term shift of competence at the Lower Bavarian location is bearing fruit: “The transformation of our industry is in full swing. We in Dingolfing are right at the forefront. We are now reaping the benefits of having initiated change early on and thinking about future-oriented and competitive employment structures.”

Plant Dingolfing is one of the BMW Group’s 31 production sites worldwide. Around 1,500 BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series cars are produced daily at the Dingolfing automotive plant 02.40. In 2018, the plant produced a total of nearly 330,000 vehicles. Around 18,000 employees and 800 trainees currently work at the Dingolfing location.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Could they maybe invest more money into a better design. I'm all for the electric future, but could we possibly make it a good looking one, instead of having vehicles that look like this...
Attached Images

12-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I tend to agree. Electric vehicles seem to be designed by engineers who haven't invested time to schedule at least one focus group with potential buyers to learn what they want.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
bimmer4562938.00
      12-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Could they maybe invest more money into a better design. I'm all for the electric future, but could we possibly make it a good looking one, instead of having vehicles that look like this...
The Tesla Cybertruck design was nabbed from the game Halo
Attached Images

JustChris17423.00
GerryM5249.50
The_Werm212.00
      12-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Can we get an EV with normal design?! Please BMW👀
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Can we get any BMW with normal design?! Please BMW👀
FTFY...
      12-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Tesla has no choice because that sheet metal was so strong it couldn't be bent or sculpted.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Tesla has no choice because that sheet metal was so strong it couldn't be bent.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Tesla truck has an accident with something else.

I have a funny feeling the Tesla truck will destroy just about anything it comes in contact with.
      12-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Is that like a lot of money to a bmw?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Tesla truck has an accident with something else.

I have a funny felling the Tesla truck will destroy just about anything it comes in contact with.
They're going to score and spot weld the panels so they fold and pop off with pressure.

I'm getting tired of waiting for BMW to come up with a good EV. The iX3 was looking OK but it's pretty low power and we still don't have many confirmed details. I'm thinking about putting money down on a Polestar 2 or XC40.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      12-06-2019, 02:09 AM   #11
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have a funny felling the Tesla truck will destroy just about anything it comes in contact with.
They're going to score and spot weld the panels so they fold and pop off with pressure.

I'm getting tired of waiting for BMW to come up with a good EV. The iX3 was looking OK but it's pretty low power and we still don't have many confirmed details. I'm thinking about putting money down on a Polestar 2 or XC40.
The Volvo XC40 Recharge and The Polestar 2 as you may know have the exact same electric powertrain.

The Volvo probably will lease out better than the Polestar.

I'm driving Polestar 2 next month in Seattle.

I really like Polestar 2.
      12-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Volvo XC40 Recharge and The Polestar 2 as you may know have the exact same electric powertrain.

Not sure if this is the right forum but it would be interesting to hear your impression. I will probably lease if possible, since things are changing so quickly in the EV space.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if this is the right forum but it would be interesting to hear your impression. I will probably lease if possible, since things are changing so quickly in the EV space.
You only want to lease an electric car.
      12-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #14
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

https://youtu.be/0vq6KEOIiMg
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #15
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You only want to lease an electric car.
[/QUOTE]
You only want to lease an electric car.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? Matt Farrah says the same thing - that due to the constant updates, they're disposable.

However, million mile battery technology is on the horizon and will make electric cars lifetime vehicles if someone so chooses.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      12-07-2019, 12:32 AM   #16
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Matt Farrah is absolutely correct.

The technology is charging way to rapidly.

You wants a simple monthly subscription, not ownership.
      12-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #17
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

The fact that an older car can benefit from the latest updates to make it nearly indistinguishable (technology wise) from a newer car is the reason NOT to lease.

My e46 is quaintly outdated. If I wanted the latest and greatest, I should've leased so I can take advantage of what an e90/f30/g20 has to offer. If a Tesla is better in five years from when it's purchased, why buy another? Folks who bought Model S P60s woke up one day to find they now had P75s (Tesla even sent new badges!).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #18
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Since the last Autogipfel (German car industry and government summit) in November, things are speeding up yet more rapidly and that's a good thing.
And I further doubt the iNext will look like the concept, as also the i4 will not look like his. i8 was a one time exception. I guess iNext will look so good, everybody will want one. Times of creepy i3 design is history, since it's a different time now and EVs are no longer an exotic exercise.
Appreciate 0