Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications recommended tune for m340?

06-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #45
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
I don't see a tune for the 2020 M340i only the 340i.
User BarryB on this forum is running the carbahn tune on his M340. I believe he started a thread on it a while back - you can search under his name or for threads in this forum containing "carbahn" and you will likely find it. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #46
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
User BarryB on this forum is running the carbahn tune on his M340. I believe he started a thread on it a while back - you can search under his name or for threads in this forum containing "carbahn" and you will likely find it. Hope this helps
And to add to this, a dealer in South Florida is authorized installer for the Carbahn tune in-case you wanna get the BMW warranty.
      06-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #47
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
All good. Found the thread where he was the development car. Guess they are still working the tune before going mainstream.
      06-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #48
aTriz
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
And to add to this, a dealer in South Florida is authorized installer for the Carbahn tune in-case you wanna get the BMW warranty.
Oh? Which South FL dealer is this? Was looking into the Mission Performance tune but not interested in shipping my ecu out.

Thanks!

I see BMW of Delray Beach on the list, assuming that one? So we can get the tune from the dealer or do we need to wait until Carbahn releases the tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #49
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

BMW of Delray Beach
      06-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #50
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTriz View Post
Oh? Which South FL dealer is this? Was looking into the Mission Performance tune but not interested in shipping my ecu out.

Thanks!

I see BMW of Delray Beach on the list, assuming that one? So we can get the tune from the dealer or do we need to wait until Carbahn releases the tune?
When I called Carbahn and told them my firmware was updated a few weeks ago they told me the ECU had to be sent to them as well. Only good thing is the dealer near me will do everything for me and the car can stay at the dealership. Just another reason I am likely going with Mission. If it has to be sent out anyway, I may as well send it to Alex whose reputation seems pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #51
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Quote:

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...drive-40i-g29/

Seems nice, higher power increase claims than BM3, MHD or Mission plus warranty at an extra cost if you're looking for piece of mind.
I have a couple of questions for them and have contacted them 4-5 different times using different channels without a response. Seems
hard to buy a product from a company who doesn't answer when you're waving $ to them. I have a dealer who can unlock the DME locally without
sending to carbahn bit can't get a price on the labor...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #52
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiveyCJ View Post
https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...drive-40i-g29/

Seems nice, higher power increase claims than BM3, MHD or Mission plus warranty at an extra cost if you're looking for piece of mind.
I have a couple of questions for them and have contacted them 4-5 different times using different channels without a response. Seems
hard to buy a product from a company who doesn't answer when you're waving $ to them. I have a dealer who can unlock the DME locally without
sending to carbahn bit can't get a price on the labor...
Not being argumentative - just curious where you are seeing higher hp/trq numbers for Carbahn than BM3, MHD, and Mission Performance. I am presently under the impression that all three of the tuners you mention are putting out Stage 1 flashes that produce more hp/trq vs Carbahn and would be interested to know what info you used as a source that showed something to the contrary.

ps- love me some Steve Dinan - not taking anything away from them (as if I could haha) - just curios about the numbers

Last edited by chenry; 06-23-2020 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: typo (I'm sure there are others I missed HA)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:14 AM   #53
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not being argumentative - just curious where you are seeing higher hp/trq numbers for Carbahn than BM3, MHD, and Mission Performance. I am presently under the impression that all three of the tuners you mention are putting out Stage 1 flashes that produce more hp/trq vs Carbahn and would be interested to know what info you used as a source that showed something to the contrary.

ps- love me some Steve Dinan - not taking anything away from them (as if I could haha) - just curios about the numbers

I was comparing published claims from each vendors' website, who knows how accurate they are but one would hope the numbers are honest. And obviously other factors to consider when choosing a vendor...

Carbahn claims 471 hp/509 ft lbs

BM3
91 octane up to 18% and 28% which equals up to 450/472
93 octane up to 21% and 30% which equals up to 462/479

MHD website numbers not clear between B58 variations, MHD
support told me to expect around 435 hp on 93 octane for M340,
didn't mention torque

Mission claims 460/440

I've read great things about all 4 tunes so it seems to be a really tough decision. BM3 has confirmed I have the new DME which requires unlocking first, I would rather have this done in a local shop instead of having to ship it back and forth to a vendor but that's just me. I've also read of BMW re locking the DME during some service trips (even when instructed not to), if this were to happen I would prefer to have a local guy to unlock it again.

I'm in PA and haven't found a local guy to unlock for BM3, BM3 will do it but is in Canada so throw in customs to get the DME back and forth. Mission is in California and doesn't have local partners who unlock for them.

I found a local guy who can unlock for MHD, and a local dealer who has the unlocking tool for Carbahn so at this point one of those 2 seem best for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #54
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was comparing published claims from each vendors' website, who knows how accurate they are but one would hope the numbers are honest. And obviously other factors to consider when choosing a vendor...

BM3

didn't mention torque

Mission claims 460/440

I've read great things about all 4 tunes so it seems to be a really tough decision. BM3 has confirmed I have the new DME which requires unlocking first, I would rather have this done in a local shop instead of having to ship it back and forth to a vendor but that's just me. I've also read of BMW re locking the DME during some service trips (even when instructed not to), if this were to happen I would prefer to have a local guy to unlock it again.

I'm in PA and haven't found a local guy to unlock for BM3, BM3 will do it but is in Canada so throw in customs to get the DME back and forth. Mission is in California and doesn't have local partners who unlock for them.

I found a local guy who can unlock for MHD, and a local dealer who has the unlocking tool for Carbahn so at this point one of those 2 seem best for me.

Forgot to add, I talked to a guy at Carbahn who says they are working on a stage 2 tune with a bigger turbo option. He also said most of the old Dinan tuning guys moved to Carbahn, I had 2 Dinan tunes on previous BMWs, both great and no issues
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #55
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

BM3

didn't mention torque

Mission claims 460/440

Cool thanks for the replies! I love your out of the box thinking to deal with the current remote unlock issue for those not wanting to send in their DME's. And to be honest hadn't thought about one shop unlocking the DME and then another shop (or you at home with your tuner of choice software) loading in the tune. It's yet another option - and that's great

ps- thanks for the power numbers - like you, ultimate power is not the end all be all for me when choosing a flash or tuner to work with - but it is a factor that I think we all look at. That said the Carbauhn numbers you shared seemed quite high compared to the rest - and then I read after following the link you provided they are showing flywheel horsepower on the site vs wheel. If you look at the dyno sheet (also on their site) you can see wheel hp/trq numbers. For what it's worth most tuners publish wheel numbers and if you look at Carbauhn's they are (if I'm reading their results correctly):

391 hp/422 ft lbs

anxious to read how this all goes for you and where you eventually end up - i'm sure the end result will be great

:-)

Last edited by chenry; 06-24-2020 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #56
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cool thanks for the replies! I love your out of the box thinking to deal with the current remote unlock issue for those not wanting to send in their DME's. And to be honest hadn't thought about one shop unlocking the DME and then another shop (or you at home with your tuner of choice software) loading in the tune. It's yet another option - and that's great

ps- thanks for the power numbers - like you, ultimate power is not the end all be all for me when choosing a flash or tuner to work with - but it is a factor that I think we all look at. That said the Carbauhn numbers you shared seemed quite high compared to the rest - and then I read after following the link you provided they are showing flywheel horsepower on the site vs wheel. If you look at the dyno sheet (also on their site) you can see wheel hp/trq numbers. For what it's worth most tuners publish wheel numbers and if you look at Carbauhn's they are (if I'm reading their results correctly):

391 hp/422 ft lbs

anxious to read how this all goes for you and where you eventually end up - i'm sure the end result will be great

:-)

True, that's another variable, I would assume the website numbers are at the crank, but were they measured there, or measured at the wheels like you mention, then crank numbers estimated/calculated from that wheel on a dyno measurement? And what % drive train loss from crank to wheels is each vendor using for this calculation? Who knows, but from what I've read all 4 give very noticeable improvements over stock
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #57
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, that's another variable, I would assume the website numbers are at the crank, but were they measured there, or measured at the wheels like you mention, then crank numbers estimated/calculated from that wheel on a dyno measurement? And what % drive train loss from crank to wheels is each vendor using for this calculation? Who knows, but from what I've read all 4 give very noticeable improvements over stock
Most all vendors are using wheel hp/trq numbers - if you want to keep that consistent you want to throw out crank/flywheel numbers provided to you / % drive train loss as you mention can not be 100% established and is an estimate at best

moral of the story:
look at whp numbers and argue over dyno differences but toss out crank/flywheel claims

But most important yes - all 4 will put a smile on your face

Last edited by chenry; 06-24-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #58
Sheezus
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post
As mission performance website says, stage 1 is emissions certified, stage 2 don't.

If you put your car back to stock before dealer visit you should be fine. As with all the tunes, even if a piggyback, if the dealer digs into your logs they will be able to know if your car was tuned.
Not sure about the detection at MP. They found a way around that and I switched my Stage 2 tune to stock and took it to the dealer. They didn't find any tune in the logs, lol. Horrible service at the dealer.

Had the MP tune for a while now, 10k miles. Got a stage 2 tune and a transmission tune. I have no issues at all except for remote start not working unless I have the key card in the car but couldn't get that working, o well. Need to take the car to service to reactivate the card. MP numbers are at the crank but I got my car dynoed at AWD Dyno place and I got 400 ish hp/trq at the wheels. I did a 0-60 on a Stage 2, got 3.5 seconds with a aftermarket downpipe. Not once but multiple times. I didn't not use a stop watch, lol. Plugged a device into the ECU port to get that.

Last edited by Sheezus; 07-15-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #59
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheezus View Post
Not sure about the detection at MP. They found a way around that and I switched my Stage 2 tune to stock and took it to the dealer. They didn't find any tune in the logs, lol. Horrible service at the dealer.

Had the MP tune for a while now, 10k miles. Got a stage 2 tune and a transmission tune. I have no issues at all except for remote start not working unless I have the key card in the car but couldn't get that working, o well. Need to take the car to service to reactivate the card. MP numbers are at the crank but I got my car dynoed at AWD Dyno place and I got 400 ish hp/trq at the wheels. I did a 0-60 on a Stage 2, got 3.5 seconds with a aftermarket downpipe. Not once but multiple times. I didn't not use a stop watch, lol. Plugged a device into the ECU port to get that.
My ECU is with Alex right now and I decided on a stage 2 tune. He mentioned the remote start issue and that I would need to put the key card in the wireless charging tray to make it work. So weird that the tune messes up the remote start.

I saw the transmission tune on their website. What are your thoughts on the transmission tune? Must have?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #60
Sheezus
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
My ECU is with Alex right now and I decided on a stage 2 tune. He mentioned the remote start issue and that I would need to put the key card in the wireless charging tray to make it work. So weird that the tune messes up the remote start.

I saw the transmission tune on their website. What are your thoughts on the transmission tune? Must have?
Honestly it's a little bit of a change but if ur getting stage 2 you should be fine. I got my transmission tune with stage 1. Transmission tune is not much necessary for stage 2. I didn't get stage 2 in the beginning because I didn't have a aftermarket downpipe then. I didn't want to run the engine at high settings without a good airflow out of the engine exhaust. You should definitely get a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #61
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Sorry to chime in late here but I really like my Carbahn tune. I have no idea where it really falls in the hp wars but it bumps it up enough to surprise you and make the car more alive. I have much faster cars than this however, if you're trying to wring the most hp out your B58, Carbahn is most likely not it and certainly not with stage 1.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 1
Rocket455480.50
      08-26-2020, 02:50 AM   #62
ARMASPEED
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

nice review of armaspeed intake

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1751510
Appreciate 0