Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum 2021 BMW 3 Series Changes / Updates List (US Market)

11-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #111
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medge View Post
I was recently in discussions on a 2021 m340i and (if true) there appear to be some negative changes to the vehicle in 2021.

1) No staggered tire package. My understanding is that the 2020 19 inch performance tire packages had 225/255 tire configuration. The BMW genius customer support group says that all the tires are 225 in in 2021.

2) No larger front brake calipers in High Performance Cooling and Tire package. My understanding was that in the 2020 model, this package came with larger front brake calipers. According to BMW, this is no longer the case in 2021.

I hope this is wrong information. Does anyone know better?
I'm pretty sure the Calipers are larger. 225 is too skinny. Why would they put such weak tires on this car? You also left off the Exhaust Sound difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #112
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I'm pretty sure the Calipers are larger. 225 is too skinny. Why would they put such weak tires on this car? You also left off the Exhaust Sound difference.
Ya, when I pushed on the tire packages they escalated it to a 'regional product trainer' who said that the staggered tires are available but only when the ZTK package is selected.

However, this is in direct conflict with the online configurator that allows the 792M (cerium grey 19 inch wheels) to be selected with the high performance non-run flat tires WITHOUT the ZTK. The response I got was 'the online configurator must be wrong'.

The same regional product trainer confirmed that there are no larger front brakes in the ZTK in the US.

Confusing and I am not even sure this information is correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #113
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
Ya, when I pushed on the tire packages they escalated it to a 'regional product trainer' who said that the staggered tires are available but only when the ZTK package is selected.

However, this is in direct conflict with the online configurator that allows the 792M (cerium grey 19 inch wheels) to be selected with the high performance non-run flat tires WITHOUT the ZTK. The response I got was 'the online configurator must be wrong'.

The same regional product trainer confirmed that there are no larger front brakes in the ZTK in the US.

I have on order. They said that it has larger brakes at the front when I was asking about other wheels and I was told that I need at least 19" wheels b/c of the larger brakes. This is still true in the ordering guide and so I'm goign to go with whoever you talked with doesn't know what they're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #114
///Medge
Private
Rep

I hope you are right - can you keep the thread aware / post pics when it comes in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurehero View Post
I have on order. They said that it has larger brakes at the front when I was asking about other wheels and I was told that I need at least 19" wheels b/c of the larger brakes. This is still true in the ordering guide and so I'm goign to go with whoever you talked with doesn't know what they're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #115
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
I hope you are right - can you keep the thread aware / post pics when it comes in?
Definitely.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #116
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post

Just to be clear here, whomever you got the info from is basically 100% inaccurate, not sure if they were trying to convince you buy a car off the lot....

The 19 staggered option 225/255 does still exist in both 19in wheel options but, as it has always been, only with summer tires. It comes in 2 flavors, 1) Summer run flats or 2) with ZTK you get even higher spec summer non-run flats. It is the all season tire options that come in the square setup. Also worth noting if you opt for the summer tire options you also get the higher speed limiter

ZTK brakes, be sure your terminology is accurate, especially when talking to dealers, the calipers (part that does the squeezing) are the same, however the front rotors are slightly larger. It is unusual for bmw but the larger rotors are, for whatever reason, not called out on the order guide. There has not been any testing back 2 back if the larger rotors provide meaningful stopping performance improvement or just dissipate heat better to reduce fade.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #117
///Medge
Private
Rep

Thanks! Ya, I was a bit bewildered at the degree to which the info I was getting looked conflicting.

Re: the calipers, I had read online (on this forum) that the ZTK increased the front brake caliper from 348mm to 374mm. I suppose that information was inaccurate? It has pics in it as well...

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1602609

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Just to be clear here, whomever you got the info from is basically 100% inaccurate, not sure if they were trying to convince you buy a car off the lot....

The 19 staggered option 225/255 does still exist in both 19in wheel options but, as it has always been, only with summer tires. It comes in 2 flavors, 1) Summer run flats or 2) with ZTK you get even higher spec summer non-run flats. It is the all season tire options that come in the square setup. Also worth noting if you opt for the summer tire options you also get the higher speed limiter

ZTK brakes, be sure your terminology is accurate, especially when talking to dealers, the calipers (part that does the squeezing) are the same, however the front rotors are slightly larger. It is unusual for bmw but the larger rotors are, for whatever reason, not called out on the order guide. There has not been any testing back 2 back if the larger rotors provide meaningful stopping performance improvement or just dissipate heat better to reduce fade.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #118
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Thanks! Ya, I was a bit bewildered at the degree to which the info I was getting looked conflicting.

Re: the calipers, I had read online (on this forum) that the ZTK increased the front brake caliper from 348mm to 374mm. I suppose that information was inaccurate? It has pics in it as well...

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1602609

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post

It's the rotors that are larger, rotors are the spinning disks that are grabbed by the calipers, google the components of brakes

As far as I know the caliper part numbers are the same for ztk and std m340 spec.

Larger rotor = more leverage on the hub and larger surface area to dissipate heat
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #119
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Is Android Auto available only on iDrive 7 or also on iDrive 6 ?
iDrive 7 only. All models now come with iDrive 7.
Actually, depending on the model, you can get AA programmed into ID6.
Appreciate 0