Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Replacement battery cost!?

01-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Replacement battery cost!?

A mate of mine has a Volvo V90 T8 (hybrid) and it has just cost £17k to replace the battery, it's only about 2 months old.

Battery is the same size as in the 330e.

Makes me think BMW aren't making any money on the 330e and worry about anyone buying one in a few years time. What a bill if you had to pay yourself!?
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
So BMW give a 6 year/60k mikes warranty on the battery. So this is an issue further down the line and will surely hit car value as the warranty nears the end.

Thinking this will always be an issue as we drive more and more electric vehicles. Let’s hope they can reduce battery costs significantly in the next few years.

Text from BMW site below about battery warranty. Interesting that it has to fall below 70% of original capacity and as I read it they will only bring it back to the 70% mark?

BMW PHEV Battery Warranty.
The BMW PHEV Warranty includes a BMW PHEV Battery Warranty against failures of the high voltage battery as a result of manufacturing defects. In addition to the BMW PHEV Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the high voltage battery is warranted for up to six years from the date of first registration, or up to 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The capacity of a lithium-ion high voltage battery naturally decreases over the period of use due to inherent technical reasons (natural wear and tear).

Should a capacity check at a BMW Service Authorised Workshop within the warranty period mentioned above show that the net battery capacity has dropped below 70% of its original value at delivery of the new BMW PHEV, the portion below 70% will be regarded as excessive capacity loss. This excessive capacity loss will be repaired free of charge under the terms of the BMW PHEV Battery Warranty.

All high voltage battery repairs under warranty must be carried out by a BMW Service Authorised Workshop.

As per the BMW PHEV Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the benefits of the BMW PHEV Battery Warranty are fully transferable to subsequent owners of this BMW PHEV by someone other than an approved BMW Service Authorised Workshop.

Maintaining your BMW PHEV Battery Warranty.
To maintain your BMW PHEV Battery Warranty, your vehicle must be inspected at the correct service intervals as recommended by your on-board service indicator system. Checks and remedial work must be carried out, where necessary during those inspections.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 01-12-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
BoysADear
Rep
Drives: 330e (G20)

In 6 years/60k miles, the car will be worth a lot less than £17k... So what then? Just pull the battery out and drive in sport mode all the time?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
nashdm2
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

Personally, I would not purchase one older than three years ol, but, just my thoughts......
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoysADear View Post
In 6 years/60k miles, the car will be worth a lot less than £17k... So what then? Just pull the battery out and drive in sport mode all the time?
I have this bizarre vision of people buying these with high mileage at auction and drilling the battery to drain the fluid...Probably also making YouTube guide on how to get a cheap 3er...
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoysADear View Post
I have this bizarre vision of people buying these with high mileage at auction and drilling the battery to drain the fluid...Probably also making YouTube guide on how to get a cheap 3er...
There will be an aftermarket service for taking the damn batteries and electric motor out of the car so you're not lugging the weight around, sure of it!? :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #7
kardkovacsi
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
There will be an aftermarket service for taking the damn batteries and electric motor out of the car so you're not lugging the weight around, sure of it!? :-)
The car won't run without the batteries. In the ZF hybrid automatic gearboxes the torque converter replaced with an electric motor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

By the way the current price of a battery module is 1k euro and a g20 has six modules in the battery pack.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_6329

https://www.bmwautoparts.net/en/cata...oltage-battery
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:38 AM   #8
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I think you’ll find this will change the taxation class of the car and make it fail an MOT in the future to stop this. Same as DPF removal on diesels.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0