Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

07-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Did inductive charging make it to customers?

Hi all,

Quick thread as I'm sure it's an easy 'no' but do you recall the front page news about the 5 or 7 series vehicles with EV power that had a pad with inductive charging?

I assume this was proven too slow with charge rates (with a Qi iPhone I can understand how a car might take forever!!)

Just curious though, was this just testing or did it roll out anywhere?

07-31-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

If memory serves me right, it rolled out in 19/20 to select customers in California only as part of a lease. BMW had to come out and install it, and you couldn’t actually buy the equipment. Which was a bummer, I was hoping to have gotten to try it when I got my 530e but don’t live on the west coast. Haven’t heard any first person feedback on it.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      08-01-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
If memory serves me right, it rolled out in 19/20 to select customers in California only as part of a lease. BMW had to come out and install it, and you couldn’t actually buy the equipment. Which was a bummer, I was hoping to have gotten to try it when I got my 530e but don’t live on the west coast. Haven’t heard any first person feedback on it.
Many thanks for the reply Good concept, I do wonder if the inefficiency of the charge needs better tech to become mainstream.

If the future is electric this will come no doubt.
      08-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hi all,

Quick thread as I'm sure it's an easy 'no' but do you recall the front page news about the 5 or 7 series vehicles with EV power that had a pad with inductive charging?

I assume this was proven too slow with charge rates (with a Qi iPhone I can understand how a car might take forever!!)

Just curious though, was this just testing or did it roll out anywhere?

Similar to the complaints about IDrive 7 light. BMW advertised it as being available for the 2018 model year and then started backing off. It didn't matter to me as my charger is situation right next to the driver side of the car and it is easy enough to plug the car in so I wouldn't have bought it/installed it anyway. But BMW does have to be careful about advertising features that it doesn't actually provide.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      08-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e

Was chatting with my dealer about this the other day on this very thing and he told me that BMW have canned this initiative as it was cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00