Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Online entertainment/BMW Music

10-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
Daz3
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport, 2020

Online entertainment/BMW Music

Since I bought my March 2020 build G21 in July(still running March 2020 software), I've been using the in car Deezer app via the online entertainment system - subscription seemed to carry across from my 4 series. Functionality has been poor at best in comparison with the 4 but it's recently got worse and now the online search functions aren't available to me - all I can do is access music that's already downloaded.

When I log into the Connected Drive website, it says online entertainment isn't even available for my car but BMW Music is. Has anyone tried it/is it worth having? I tried it momentarily when I bought the car but ditched it because OE seemed much better.

Can I use Deezer with BMW Music - I think it only works with Napster?

I'm pretty confused because when I go into Deezer on my phone, it says I've got a premium subscription with BMW?!

Tried emailing BMW but....still waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Are you referring to connected music? I currently subscribe to this, however I believe that Deezer & Napster support via I drive and the cars sim card will stop soon. Spotify support will continue.

I use Deezer HI Fi which is lossless via car play as I have an Iphone. Works really well and sounds great but you do use your phones data allowance.

What type of Deezer account do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Daz3
Rep

Yeah, connected music. With your car subscription, are you running that with Deezer then - the same as me? I've had no notifications that support is being discontinued. When you use it now, are you able to search for new/similar music etc? I can't even access the album a particular track is from any more.

My phone says I'm running Deezer Premium via BMW. I don't think it's the hi-fi one, just standard quality.

What I've been using was called online entertainment but it's odd that it's listed as not available for my car on the connected drive website. I don't think I've paid for ages anyway(over a year - the last renewal being in my old 4 series) so if it's gone, it's gone - it's just odd how it's happened. I can still download new music into the phone app.

If I have to go to BMW Music instead(£80 per year) then I want to know it's got a decent range of music available and that the functionality will be significantly better. I'd rather not drop 80 quid on it and hope for the best. I tried it when I first got the 320 and ditched it in favour of Connected Music with Deezer. That free trial is long gone now...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz3 View Post
Yeah, connected music. With your car subscription, are you running that with Deezer then - the same as me? I've had no notifications that support is being discontinued. When you use it now, are you able to search for new/similar music etc? I can't even access the album a particular track is from any more.

My phone says I'm running Deezer Premium via BMW. I don't think it's the hi-fi one, just standard quality.

What I've been using was called online entertainment but it's odd that it's listed as not available for my car on the connected drive website. I don't think I've paid for ages anyway(over a year - the last renewal being in my old 4 series) so if it's gone, it's gone - it's just odd how it's happened. I can still download new music into the phone app.

If I have to go to BMW Music instead(£80 per year) then I want to know it's got a decent range of music available and that the functionality will be significantly better. I'd rather not drop 80 quid on it and hope for the best. I tried it when I first got the 320 and ditched it in favour of Connected Music with Deezer. That free trial is long gone now...
I had a similar issue and I got myself quite wound up by it but I was wrong.

I have had online entertainment for years using Napster. It was good because you could set up playlists at home with an iPad it iPhone or pc and they would auto download in the car.

I read that online entertainment was ending but when it was explained I made a change.

In the uk 3 years Spotify is included in BMW. So I opened a Spotify account, transferred all my playlists in 10 minutes flat and now I have Spotify in the car with full access at home.

It's excellent.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:33 AM   #5
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No I am using Deezer from my phone into car play. In car play everything works on the I Drive, it has the same functionality as your phone. This uses your phone data allowance and is lossless or cd quality.

I still have a few weeks of my connected music subscription therefore I can use Spotify via I drive using the cars sim card but Spotify is 320 kbps at best in high quality. I wont be renewing this so it will offset the Deezer subscription cost. I received this from BMW a few weeks ago:
Attached Images

Last edited by Xsapper; 10-22-2020 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Daz3
Rep

Woody 320 - if online entertainment is being discontinued then what in car app are you using to access Spotify - I thought BMW Music could only be used with Napster? I'd also read somewhere that 3 years BMW Music(or connected music - are they the same thing) was included but other places say 3 months. I had what was left of 3 months when I got the car new but that period has ended and they want £80 for me to subscibe - happy to pay that if it does what I want but odd that you've got it free. If I setup a Spotify account(probably got a free one running from years ago), can I register within the app using my BMW details?

Xsapper - was that an email from BMW or a message received through the app? They've never contacted me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Daz3
Rep

Just went onto the Spotify website and can't see an option to create a free account via BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Daz3 it was an e-mail from BMW UK
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Daz3
Rep

I still don't get it!

On the Connected Drive website, for online entertainment it says you can use Deezer or Napster although that's unavailable for my car.

If I click on BMW Music(what's the difference?), that says it uses Napster, you only get the music in your car(so not on any other devices) and it's £80/year. No mention of 3 years free with Spotify, no mention of even being able to use Spotify?!

My only way forward appears to be spend the £80 on BMW music and hope for the best. Nobody within BMW can answer my questions. They'll book the car in for diagnostics and do a software update if they think that could be the problem but if they don't know what it should be doing, I'm surely wasting time.

I've tried uploading screenshots of what I see on the Connected Drive website...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Woody 320 - if online entertainment is being discontinued then what in car app are you using to access Spotify - I thought BMW Music could only be used with Napster? I'd also read somewhere that 3 years BMW Music(or connected music - are they the same thing) was included but other places say 3 months. I had what was left of 3 months when I got the car new but that period has ended and they want £80 for me to subscibe - happy to pay that if it does what I want but odd that you've got it free. If I setup a Spotify account(probably got a free one running from years ago), can I register within the app using my BMW details?

Xsapper - was that an email from BMW or a message received through the app? They've never contacted me.
With the I drive update Spotify link is available. That is a direct link to Spotify from the head unit, nothing to do with the phone.

Open an account with Spotify, log in with same username and password and bingo.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
Daz3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody320 View Post
With the I drive update Spotify link is available. That is a direct link to Spotify from the head unit, nothing to do with the phone.

What software version are you running? I'm on 03/20.

If I log out of Deezer, I can log into Spotify already. Or at least I used to be able to, I just never bothered as I was always a Deezer user so logged into that on the head unit. I'll try the Spotify login now and if it works, I'll have a play about with it in the morning. I assumed it was a non starter as I've never had a paid Deezer account.

Failing that I can hope for a software update to 07/20 if I do drop it into the dealer. They're not offering me any assurance that they'll do the update though.
Appreciate 1
mzdial114.50
      10-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #12
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What software version are you running? I'm on 03/20.

If I log out of Deezer, I can log into Spotify already. Or at least I used to be able to, I just never bothered as I was always a Deezer user so logged into that on the head unit. I'll try the Spotify login now and if it works, I'll have a play about with it in the morning. I assumed it was a non starter as I've never had a paid Deezer account.

Failing that I can hope for a software update to 07/20 if I do drop it into the dealer. They're not offering me any assurance that they'll do the update though.
Yes indeed. Get yourself to 07/2020 and trust me swap to Spotify, open an account with Spotify. You only pay Spotify the bit in the car is free for 3 years.

Then there is a great website to convert all old playlists to Spotify. Go to the car and it will give a QR code to link your account.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
Daz3
Rep

Right, so you're paying Spotify the tenner a month subscription? In that case, is it better than the £80/year BMW Music? Obviously yes in your opinion!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
Daz3
Rep

These are my options - connected music with Deezer or Napster. That isn't working properly. Or I can use the dedicated Spotify app but only with a premium subscription
Attached Images

Last edited by Daz3; 10-22-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:03 AM   #15
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes indeed. Get yourself to 07/2020 and trust me swap to Spotify, open an account with Spotify. You only pay Spotify the bit in the car is free for 3 years.

Then there is a great website to convert all old playlists to Spotify. Go to the car and it will give a QR code to link your account.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that a new car came with a 3 month trial of connected music which you need to be able to access Spotify via I drive using the cars built in sim card.

Thereafter once the trial expires you need to subscribe, therefore you pay BMW for the connected music package (12 Months) plus potentially a monthly payment to Spotify (Dependant on the account type being the users choice)

Or you stream Spotify via your phone using the phones data allowance via car play etc.

Has this changed?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:12 AM   #16
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Quote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that a new car came with a 3 month trial of connected music which you need to be able to access Spotify via I drive using the cars built in sim card.

Thereafter once the trial expires you need to subscribe, therefore you pay BMW for the connected music package (12 Months) plus potentially a monthly payment to Spotify (Dependant on the account type being the users choice)

Or you stream Spotify via your phone using the phones data allowance via car play etc.

Has this changed?
I believe BMW music allows you access in the car only. So to build a playlist you'd need to search in the car. What you need is the ability to build playlists at home on a pc or a tablet etc. That is what you don't get with BMW music

Napster is being stopped I am told because there are not enough subscribers which is why the move to Spotify.

It's complicated and I must admit until I had it carefully explained I was more than unhappy. Call Connecteddrive and discuss with them is what I would advise.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:29 AM   #17
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe BMW music allows you access in the car only. So to build a playlist you'd need to search in the car. What you need is the ability to build playlists at home on a pc or a tablet etc. That is what you don't get with BMW music

Napster is being stopped I am told because there are not enough subscribers which is why the move to Spotify.

It's complicated and I must admit until I had it carefully explained I was more than unhappy. Call Connecteddrive and discuss with them is what I would advise.
What is BMW music? I have Connected Music. You can build playlists in Spotify /Deezer on your PC or phone which are then available in car via the I drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #18
Daz3
Rep

Glad it's not just me getting confused guys!

Correct me if I'm wrong but BMW Music is totally separate application and works differently and as described by Woody. It's £80/year and can be booked through the connected drive website. The bit I don't understand is that it runs with Napster but Woody, you've been told Napster affiliation is being discontinued?

It's BMW Music that comes with a 3 month free trial when you buy the car(or whatever's left of it after delivery etc - 2 months in my case). I tried it very briefly and didn't rate it)

Connected Music with a 12 month sub through BMW so far as I can tell(also called Online Entertainment) is no longer available. That's what I was using with Deezer until it lost a lot of its functionality.

What I did this morning was subscribe on my phone to Spotify(free for the first month and then £10/month auto renewal if I don't cancel). I've synced that account in the car and it uses the car's data and not your phone's. All you're doing with the phone(or can be done on a PC I think with the code given in the car) is linking the car's Spotify account with the one you've first created online.

However...I don't rate Spotify in the car! I've never used it before but while it is fast to access music online, it doesn't seem to automatically download it for later retrieval and there is no function to display the album a track has come from or find similar music etc. These features used to be available within Connected Music using Deezer. If I want to access music previously listened to, I can't search my library by artist/album etc. Ah, except for one album I must've downloaded or listened to ages ago on my phone. I've got a month to decide on it before they've even taken a tenner from me but I think I'm all out of options?

Woody, am I missing some useful info about how best to use Spotify? Hope so!

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #19
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I used Online Entertainment with Napster for years. Thought it was superb. Sometimes it was slightly flaky in that if you added 5 tracks at home on your ipad it might be a day or 2 before they would download to the car.
With spotify you can sit in the car and choose a track on your phone, select a playlist and it appears in the car and downloads in seconds. I also noticed that when I have used Shazam and identified a music track that also now gets auto downloaded to its own playlist.
I don't understand about the "it doesn't seem to automatically download for later retrieval" That's exactly what it does do. It works a treat.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Where to start!!

Car defiantly came with a 3 month trial when I purchased the car. I then subscribed (X£) as I wanted to use Spotify at the time.

These are some screen pics to try and show you the functionality I have so that you can compare. I am going from a saved playlist to a search. Are you able to do this? Also have you adjusted the music quality in Spotify's preferences (Best is 320)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
Daz3
Rep

What I mean about music not automatically downloading: With Deezer via connected music, I could search for music in the car, play an album and then go into already downloaded music and search by album/artist etc. It would bring up what I've already listened to even if it was ages ago because it's stored on the hard drive. With Spotify, all I seem to be able to do is search recently played music.

With Deezer also, I had the ability to locate the album a track was from or play similar music. I could easily access a whole load of music without having to touch my phone - something I don't want to be doing while driving. If I have to create playlists in order to get the most out of the app, it's just a bit(or a lot) more labour intensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
What I mean about music not automatically downloading: With Deezer via connected music, I could search for music in the car, play an album and then go into already downloaded music and search by album/artist etc. It would bring up what I've already listened to even if it was ages ago because it's stored on the hard drive.
You can go to any music you have listened to in recently played

With Spotify, all I seem to be able to do is search recently played music.
In Spotify you can search for any music which is available within the Spotify catalogue

With Deezer also, I had the ability to locate the album a track was from or play similar music. I could easily access a whole load of music without having to touch my phone - something I don't want to be doing while driving. If I have to create playlists in order to get the most out of the app, it's just a bit(or a lot) more labour intensive.

You can play any albums previously downloaded in your Library

From the home screen you can play track lists that have been generated for you based on your taste

This is all done without your phone. Sorry but I cant help you any further.
Appreciate 0