Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics How to use two driver profiles properly?

06-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Bimmer_73NL
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G21 330i xDrive

How to use two driver profiles properly?

Hi,

I searched this forum (even for the other cars) and googled a lot without finding the answer. I feel dumb, but not asked is not knowing.... So perhaps this community can shine some light on the following:

The situation and what I tried / wish to do:
We have on our G21 a 'standard' key (fob) and the digital key (the big one with a display that we got because we ordered the pre-heating feature).

The standard key is being used by my wife (no, she doesn't like the big, bulky digital key) and she set up a profile in the car linked to the standard key. Also the car is registered in BMW connected-drive to her own account, since she uses this car the most.
I drive a F30 and have my own connected-drive account and the F30 registered to that.

Now I wanted to add a second profile (mine) to the G21 with the idea to link that to the digital key. So you each of us can have their own personal settings stored -which to my understanding is what the profiles are for.

I followed these steps:
So, I first added the car to the BMW app in my phone using the VIN number. I had to confirm with the security code sent to the car. This worked instantly.
Next in the car I started adding an additional profile. Doing so, the car asked to log-in to a connected drive account or create one.
I logged in with my own account credentials. Which worked and I could actually link the digital key to this (mine) new profile.

The result:
1. I had the car on my phone app (activated remote features as well) and a profile linked to the digital key).
2. When my wife checked her connected drive account the car was removed from there!! This was also visible in the BMW app on her phone. No more car!
Oops. That is not what we expected or wanted.

To reverse: I deleted the car from my connected account and she could easily add it again without further problem.

My questions:
1. Has anyone any experience and set up 2 profiles for his/ her G20, G21, G2x using 2 keys (>2 profiles also fine of course).

2. What in the above steps I did wrong causing the car to be removed from the main connected drive account?
(I think it is the fact I added it to my phone using the VIN number, etc. But that would mean I cannot control/ see the car in my own account. 2b: Can anyone confirm?).

3. In other words what are the correct steps to add another driver profile, link it to a different (second) key using a different connected account (if at all possible)?
(Is it like this: That to create the extra profile in the car I still log in using my own account, but I should not add it to my phone app?)

Any clarity / support is highly appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_73NL View Post
Hi,

I searched this forum (even for the other cars) and googled a lot without finding the answer. I feel dumb, but not asked is not knowing.... So perhaps this community can shine some light on the following:

The situation and what I tried / wish to do:
We have on our G21 a 'standard' key (fob) and the digital key (the big one with a display that we got because we ordered the pre-heating feature).

The standard key is being used by my wife (no, she doesn't like the big, bulky digital key) and she set up a profile in the car linked to the standard key. Also the car is registered in BMW connected-drive to her own account, since she uses this car the most.
I drive a F30 and have my own connected-drive account and the F30 registered to that.

Now I wanted to add a second profile (mine) to the G21 with the idea to link that to the digital key. So you each of us can have their own personal settings stored -which to my understanding is what the profiles are for.

I followed these steps:
So, I first added the car to the BMW app in my phone using the VIN number. I had to confirm with the security code sent to the car. This worked instantly.
Next in the car I started adding an additional profile. Doing so, the car asked to log-in to a connected drive account or create one.
I logged in with my own account credentials. Which worked and I could actually link the digital key to this (mine) new profile.

The result:
1. I had the car on my phone app (activated remote features as well) and a profile linked to the digital key).
2. When my wife checked her connected drive account the car was removed from there!! This was also visible in the BMW app on her phone. No more car!
Oops. That is not what we expected or wanted.

To reverse: I deleted the car from my connected account and she could easily add it again without further problem.

My questions:
1. Has anyone any experience and set up 2 profiles for his/ her G20, G21, G2x using 2 keys (>2 profiles also fine of course).

2. What in the above steps I did wrong causing the car to be removed from the main connected drive account?
(I think it is the fact I added it to my phone using the VIN number, etc. But that would mean I cannot control/ see the car in my own account. 2b: Can anyone confirm?).

3. In other words what are the correct steps to add another driver profile, link it to a different (second) key using a different connected account (if at all possible)?
(Is it like this: That to create the extra profile in the car I still log in using my own account, but I should not add it to my phone app?)

Any clarity / support is highly appreciated! Thanks!
I have set up 2 keys with different profiles and connected drive accounts. Both recognise the correct profile/connected drive account when we use the car.

As for the app, it seems only one connected drive user can have the app connected to the car. If you log on to the app with another account it disables the first.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Bimmer_73NL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
I have set up 2 keys with different profiles and connected drive accounts. Both recognise the correct profile/connected drive account when we use the car.

As for the app, it seems only one connected drive user can have the app connected to the car. If you log on to the app with another account it disables the first.

Thanks for clarifying @Tam the Bam!!
So I went almost correct, but I shouldn't have added it to my own connect account using the phone app (nor do that on the connect website).

Last edited by Bimmer_73NL; 06-10-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I am in the US and using a G30 w/ iDrive 7. I mention these details in case it adds any reason for the difference.

My wife and I have separate ConnectedDrive accounts with separate profiles each signed into the car and phone apps individually. Switches via fobs as expected and etc.

The only difference was I had to have her added via ConnectedDrive CS due to buying our car last year. Back then the app would ask for a code that never arrived to the car. Based on the latest updates this sounds like it is fixed, but maybe you need to call in to have a "secondary" user added.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
Bimmer_73NL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I am in the US and using a G30 w/ iDrive 7. I mention these details in case it adds any reason for the difference.

My wife and I have separate ConnectedDrive accounts with separate profiles each signed into the car and phone apps individually. Switches via fobs as expected and etc.

The only difference was I had to have her added via ConnectedDrive CS due to buying our car last year. Back then the app would ask for a code that never arrived to the car. Based on the latest updates this sounds like it is fixed, but maybe you need to call in to have a "secondary" user added.
Thanks!
I have the two profiles in the car as wanted (using different logins) and assigned them to 2 different FOBS. Swapping works.
But I couldn't add the car to the phone app of the second account without having it removed from the first account (happens automatically). Maybe US and EU are different on this.

I checked with BMW customer service (EU region) if there are somehow "hidden" options to enable this, but they said it is not possible. So if you really would like to use the app, it means all drivers must use the same account to login to the phone app and any additional drive can use a separate account in the car to store its profile settings.

Last edited by Bimmer_73NL; 06-12-2020 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks!
I have the two profiles in the car as wanted (using different logins) and assigned them to 2 different FOBS. Swapping works.
But I couldn't add the car to the phone app of the second account without having it removed from the first account (happens automatically). Maybe US and EU are different on this.

I checked with BMW customer service (EU region) if there are somehow "hidden" options to enable this, but they said it is not possible. So if you really would like to use the app, it means all drivers must use the same account to login to the phone app and any additional drive can use a separate account in the car to store its profile settings.
I’ve been through this pain in the last week! Wish I’d seen this post beforehand

I am in the UK and was trying to do the exact same thing. We both took delivery this month, hers a F40 118i M Sport and mine a G21 M340i. Like you, I got the drivers profiles attached to the keys okay - in fact I thinks it’s good that you can have 2 driver seat settings per person.

Same experience with enabling cars on one profile and disabling on the other. What I did notice, is if I am in my car, using my key / profile and she opens up the app on her phone, she can see my car. What you mustn’t do is try and fully enable it though! It does then allow her to manage the car or see data. Not particularly useful, but thinking it could be a little gimmick for the kids as they can control some media functions and I think see some of the Nav info.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Maybe it is different in US because we use two different profiles in my daughter car and works like a charm. The different is, I have my daughter registered with connected drive as a secondary subscriber which allows us both to have the car registered in the phone app.
If you don't register both person with BMW, it will eventually boot the person off the app within 24 hours. Reason is, BMW does an authentication check against all users. If not able to verify, it will deactivate the users. In UK, are you required to register a secondary users with ConnectedDrive?

We both are able to see the car in the app and we have two different keys set to each profile. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osheatwo View Post
Maybe it is different in US because we use two different profiles in my daughter car and works like a charm. The different is, I have my daughter registered with connected drive as a secondary subscriber which allows us both to have the car registered in the phone app.
If you don't register both person with BMW, it will eventually boot the person off the app within 24 hours. Reason is, BMW does an authentication check against all users. If not able to verify, it will deactivate the users. In UK, are you required to register a secondary users with ConnectedDrive?

We both are able to see the car in the app and we have two different keys set to each profile. Hope this helps.
Interesting. So it seems it’s technically possible but for some reason in the UK / EU they don’t allow it. As soon as I connect a car to the 2nd ConnectDrive App, it removes it from the first.

I logged a call with Customer Services last week so see what they say.
Appreciate 0