Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Retrofit iDrive 7 head unit

04-09-2022, 02:11 AM   #45
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmad View Post
Nope, I'm not in the us, I am in South America, we don't get most features that other countries do down here unfortunately

I just found a video that someone actually did what I originally propose in this topic, I think it's just in turkish or a weird language. So it's possible to retrofit a digital cluster, my question is, what about ID7?

They are from Turkey, What basically he is saying is, it is possible to run the cluster with idrive 6 , because the middle part of the cluster originally shows the map, that requires MGU to activate the feature. Other than the MAP feature, everything going to be working without an issue with the iDrive 6.

They later want to try some sort of tricks from Idrive 6 to cluster via Ethernet connection to grab map connection without needing MGU but i doubt it.

My G20 came with idrive 7 and digital cluster, but i am planning to get F90 either PreLCI or LCI. If i somehow ended up getting PreLCI, i will be all over to upgrade both iDrive 6 and cluster to newer modules.

MGU will be real tricky to retrofit i believe.
Yes, because you need a matched set of ATM MGU and kombi, as they added in extra protection that requires a full new FSC set.

From the ista manual:

Component protection
Component protection is used to couple the head unit with the vehicle{BDC} {BDC}. If a coupled head unit is installed in another vehicle, it discards the activation codes and the functions such as navigation, etc. are no longer available. This is intended to prevent the theft of head units.
Component protection has been applied to all vehicles with{BDC} in combination with the head units HU-H2 ({NBT Evo}), HU-B2 ( {Entry Evo}) and HU-H3 ({MGU}) were introduced.
If the{BDC} must be reset in order{BDC} {BDC}. A release code is required for resetting.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 11:37 PM   #46
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Yes, because you need a matched set of ATM MGU and kombi, as they added in extra protection that requires a full new FSC set.

From the ista manual:

Component protection
Component protection is used to couple the head unit with the vehicle{BDC} {BDC}. If a coupled head unit is installed in another vehicle, it discards the activation codes and the functions such as navigation, etc. are no longer available. This is intended to prevent the theft of head units.
Component protection has been applied to all vehicles with{BDC} in combination with the head units HU-H2 ({NBT Evo}), HU-B2 ( {Entry Evo}) and HU-H3 ({MGU}) were introduced.
If the{BDC} must be reset in order{BDC} {BDC}. A release code is required for resetting.
Well someone has to come up with FSC Pack as usual. This was resolved on iDrive 4/5/6 but i believe MGU still needs some time to crack Bench flash + FSC code will do the MGU ready to install.

In the mean time i did find out all 2020 m5 comes with idrive 7 and new cluster. And i am in the market for M5C. So it will be alot better to get 2020 comparing to 2018/19 if this the case since upgrading headlight+bumper and tail light much easier to do comparing to MGU+Cluster retro.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0