Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK First ever BMW, 330i or 320i? (G20)

02-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #23
bmw131
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
330i owner here.
I test drove two 320i loan cars before making my purchase. I was happy with the performance of both. However, I was changing from a P250 XF Jaguar - and did not want to take a backward step - and eventually come to regret my purchase - hence going for the 330i (slightly more power & quite a bit lighter).
Many years back, in 2001, I made the mistake of buying the sensible choice 525 SE (E39 model) - and after only a year, started to find the engine lacking. I wish I had gone for the 530 - the body simply needed more power.
I don't think the 320i will feel underpowered - but it all depends on what you are familiar with.
The 340 would be a totally different "beast" - if money were no concern, I'd have considered it - but it would have been a complete waste for my usage.
Make sure you do a proper test drive, I covered just over 100 miles on my normal roads before signing the agreement - no regrets here.
Regards, Mike.
When you said 100miles do BMW let you have it for the day or two, like is test drive only for 30/hour and then that's it or did you go repeatedly to test it out?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #24
bmw131
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
OP.... the commonality of opinion/advice on here is the importance of test driving both models with and without extras from the standard spec and only you will be able to decide what is going to suit you best!
Yes agreed, thanks everyone for the helpful advice I will just need to test drive models with and without extras and judge from there, I believe it will be a step up either way so can't go wrong!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:55 AM   #25
bmw131
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
330i owner here.
I test drove two 320i loan cars before making my purchase. I was happy with the performance of both. However, I was changing from a P250 XF Jaguar - and did not want to take a backward step - and eventually come to regret my purchase - hence going for the 330i (slightly more power & quite a bit lighter).
Many years back, in 2001, I made the mistake of buying the sensible choice 525 SE (E39 model) - and after only a year, started to find the engine lacking. I wish I had gone for the 530 - the body simply needed more power.
I don't think the 320i will feel underpowered - but it all depends on what you are familiar with.
The 340 would be a totally different "beast" - if money were no concern, I'd have considered it - but it would have been a complete waste for my usage.
Make sure you do a proper test drive, I covered just over 100 miles on my normal roads before signing the agreement - no regrets here.
Regards, Mike.
For your 330i do you currently have the m sport pro pack if so how are you finding the 19 wheels, alternatively, if you have the 18, was the higher risk of busting the tyres on 19 a concern? Around my area the roads are not that good and I do not care about looks but it would be costly and much more heavier
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #26
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw131 View Post
When you said 100miles do BMW let you have it for the day or two, like is test drive only for 30/hour and then that's it or did you go repeatedly to test it out?
My local Dealer was happy for me to take car for about 3 1/2 hours - and I topped up fuel tank (although they did not ask)

I also needed a hire car, due to repairs on the XF, and got a 318 - that I put just under 600 miles on (that was what got me looking at BMW again).

The Dealer test-drive car was as close as they could find to my spec within their network - I insisted on trying out Adaptive Suspension - before final commit

Back in 2001 - I had a 525 SE overnight as a test drive - bit of night driving was required to experience the HID headlights, that were a bit of a new thing back then - the car sold itself

If a Dealer doesn't allow you to experience the vehicle - walk away.

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:13 PM   #27
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
For your 330i do you currently have the m sport pro pack if so how are you finding the 19 wheels, alternatively, if you have the 18, was the higher risk of busting the tyres on 19 a concern? Around my area the roads are not that good and I do not care about looks but it would be costly and much more heavier
Yep, M Sport Pro - with 19" rims & Run-Flats (plus M Adaptive Suspension).

Our roads are pretty bad - funny that people from all over UK now say the same thing.

Sorry to say that aesthetics played a big part in the choice - larger rims simply look better.

The increased chassis rigidity - Adaptive Suspension - Comfort+ coding all contribute to giving my 330i an overall better ride than my previous XF (except at very low speeds) - even with the run-flats.

I always thought that when the tyres wear out - I would immediately change to go-flats - but I'm no longer certain given the above

Regards, Mike.

NOTE: I do NOT tail-gate other cars - I leave a sensible distance such that I can see and if possible avoid pot-holes on unfamiliar roads.
Locally - I know where all the bad roads are
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 04:52 AM   #28
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Yeah fair point, the salesman said the 330i excitement will wear off and I would want a 320i to avoid tickets but I am sure 330i can still be a good comfy daily?

As for getting lets say a 2021/22 plate would you say a PCP is good or straight cash - I want a car to keep for at least 5 plus years I am not fussed about a nee model every 3 years
That is the biggest load of sales bu11sh1t I have ever heard! Clearly they want you to buy the 320i.

Straight cash if you have it as they will ruin you for a used car apr.
Again up to you but I would go 330i, adaptive suspension is great, 19s look far better IMHO and you have a bit more power.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:07 AM   #29
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
That is the biggest load of sales bu11sh1t I have ever heard! Clearly they want you to buy the 320i.

Straight cash if you have it as they will ruin you for a used car apr.
Again up to you but I would go 330i, adaptive suspension is great, 19s look far better IMHO and you have a bit more power.
You're not wrong there!........'to avoid tickets' the salesman says.....so does a 320i have a 30mph speed limiter then?...sorry a 20mph limiter for when you visit Wales!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:04 PM   #30
Charlie330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
That's interesting you say that because although everyone says they wouldn't go back to 19 and how 18 are better especially more cushioning for potholes (everywhere in UK) that this is best. However I also thought BMW wouldn't throw in 19 wheels without offsetting it somewhat so thought the adaptive suspension offsets some of the negatives - I don't care about looks but think the AS and other benefits of pro pack help so will go with this as it is hard to find 18 wheel 330i with just adaptive suspension without the m pro pack that comes with 19 but will go with this and get BMW to replace any bad tyres to avoid the cost of replacing any new ones in future! Also did you buy it outright or PCP etc?
I think (assume) that they only did the adaptive suspension with the M Sport Pro pack and that also gave 19's.
I bought the car 2nd hand, but when I was looking, if there were 50 330i's for sale nationally, there were probably 35 saloons and of the 15 estates, only 2 or 3 Pro's, so they're out there, but rare
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:12 PM   #31
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I think most cars got it with Pro, but for a while you could also select it as a standalone option. But then, at other times, it was only available as part of a pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:23 PM   #32
Stooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I’d probably take an optioned 320 over a bare 330. The auto boxes are really good for masking any lack of torque, the power difference isn’t massive and they sound the same.

In the long term you’ll probably appreciate a better sound system, hud, adaptive suspension etc more than 60 hp.

I understand why they use the model naming they do, but the 330 is more like a 325 in the spread between the 320 and the m340.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50
      02-12-2024, 02:29 PM   #33
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

OP, you have all the excellent advice you could ever wish to get from this thread; and only a test drive between comparably spec'd models will, in the end, decide it for you.

Ultimately, it depends on what you think you'll find most desirable, longer term, in a 3er: if it's about the drivetrain, then hunt down a 30i or even put the prospect of a 2019/20 M340i through the manputer and see what comes out, now that their prices are calming down. For me, the yearning to experience the torque and purr of a straight six, before they're consigned to electro-oblivion, was too strong for me to hang on to my 30i--nimble, infinitely capable, and pleasingly pokey though it was. (Logical matters to do with 'use criteria' never came into it!)

However, if you know you're going to be more than content with interior tech, HUD, a decent chassis, responsive steering, and terrific fuel economy, then a nicely spec'd 20i would clearly be the more sensible decision.

It just depends on how far being sensible correlates with your attraction to all that the 3 series range has to offer... Either way, though, you'll be gratified with your new ride.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i144.00
      02-12-2024, 02:43 PM   #34
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I’ve never been able to really assess a car on a test drive. Because it all feels new, and because I’m concentrating on not trashing a vehicle that isn’t mine I find I’m not really able to assess stuff like the ride or responsiveness properly. I only really start to get the feel of a car after I’ve been driving it for a couple of weeks.

Just me, or do others find the same?
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      02-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #35
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

I’d agree with that. You really need to try and get a car for, say a weekend, to get a real feel for it. Driving it in familiar surroundings even if you go through a tank of fuel, or a least fifty quid’s worth which would be a small price to pay as opposed to later regretting a purchase. The problem would likely be a dealer willing to ‘loan’ you a car for a weekend or even, in some cases, let you have an extended test drive. Preferably without a salesman with you babbling bullshit in your left ear throughout as well!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 05:06 PM   #36
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I’d agree with that. You really need to try and get a car for, say a weekend, to get a real feel for it. Driving it in familiar surroundings even if you go through a tank of fuel, or a least fifty quid’s worth which would be a small price to pay as opposed to later regretting a purchase. The problem would likely be a dealer willing to ‘loan’ you a car for a weekend or even, in some cases, let you have an extended test drive. Preferably without a salesman with you babbling bullshit in your left ear throughout as well!
There is no way in hell any main dealer near me would let me "loan" a car for a weekend in the hopes of getting a sale. Most treat a test drive as a major inconvenience and make you jump through hoops just to get that, with a "Genius" who knows less about the car than you do by your side in the passenger seat.

But then, I'm one of those folks that everyone assumes (from around the age of 13) Is most probably a "ne'er do well". They take one look at me and start with getting the liability paperwork out. LOL!

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 02-13-2024 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      02-12-2024, 06:29 PM   #37
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I think the 320i is probably the better buy at this point. They seem much better value and you'll get a much newer car than you would with a 330i.

If you are particularly interested in performance then the M340i is the obvious choice, if you're not then the 320i is absolutely fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:00 AM   #38
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Having had a 320i in the past I would definitely go for the 330i.
The 330i is for sure the best all-round driver's car BMW has ever produced IMO!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:12 AM   #39
NihalbutKrispy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 330ix

I currently drive a 21 330ix due to the 320i not being available in the US market as far as I'm sure. I love my car and wouldn't dream of getting a 320i with the decrease in HP. Does that mean the 320i is a bad car? No, if you want that little more agility and sportiness I'd go with the 330 but you can't go wrong with the 320. They are both capable sports sedans. In 3 years the only problems I've had with my 330 are just runflat replacements (I hate runflats) so far I have 37000 miles on the odometer (around 60000 KM). The b48 is very reliable in my eyes. As long as your taking car of the car I see no problems with owning it for 5 more years on top of whoever had it last. The M Sport comes with a stiffer suspension so if you want a more comfortable ride I'd get the 320 but if you like the stiff sportiness the 330i with the sport package is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:15 AM   #40
NihalbutKrispy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I’ve never been able to really assess a car on a test drive. Because it all feels new, and because I’m concentrating on not trashing a vehicle that isn’t mine I find I’m not really able to assess stuff like the ride or responsiveness properly. I only really start to get the feel of a car after I’ve been driving it for a couple of weeks.

Just me, or do others find the same?
I agree with this, but my fear faded as all my friends wanted me to test drive cars for them because they're too scared to get behind a car that isn't their's yet. Biggest thing is that if you're a good driver you should be fine.
Appreciate 0