Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum My G20 is being held at port due to a recall

08-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive

My G20 is being held at port due to a recall

Hi all. I ordered my new 330i xDrive on 6/26 and have been tracking it through production, transport, etc. Other than a few glitches in the reporting, it was moving pretty smoothly.

The status was "in transit" for awhile, and then it went backwards to "in port" and stuck. Concerned that it had never left Germany, I contacted my SA. It turns out that the car is in the Port of Baltimore being held for a recall. I dropped by to see my SA yesterday (after the M-Town event), and he walked me through his screen which shows that it is being held for a "center rear head restraint latching pin" recall. I googled my VIN, but I found no open recalls. When I googled the actual words, I found an Audi/VW recall by that name.

Anyone familiar with this recall impacting BMW? Possible they all use the same suppliers. Timeline for resolution? Seems like it is an inspection which one would think would clear quickly, unless they found a problem.

In advance, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Hilly330
Rep
Drives: BMW M 330i

Same for my car in EU. Takes 2 weeks already😤. Dealer has no idea either.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Mine (M340i) is affected by the same recall. Although mine was described as "verify head rest rear center" and the thought was the part was simply shipped without being installed. My vehicle arrived at Baltimore VPC on Monday 8/5 and had a planned delivery to dealer date of 8/9; but my advisor didn't want to take too much stock in that info since the hold wasn't present.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for good news tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenya971 View Post
My vehicle arrived at Baltimore VPC on Monday 8/5 and had a planned delivery to dealer date of 8/9
Thanks. My vehicle arrived on the same date (probably on the same ship), but has no stated delivery date. Keeping my figures crossed for you as it will be a good omen for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
MrBMWDK
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M-Sport aut.

Delivery of my BMW 320i M-Sport aut G20 has also been delayed due to a recall. Unfortunately I haven't got any information yet on what the recall is about. I was supposed to pick it up today, but got the information yesterday about the delay :-(

I have a VIN no. - any way to find out what the problem seems to be using the VIN no.?

Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep

There are a number of websites where you can check VINs for recalls. Just google. I ran mine and it came up "zero recalls".
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by driesman View Post
Hi all. I ordered my new 330i xDrive on 6/26 and have been tracking it through production, transport, etc. Other than a few glitches in the reporting, it was moving pretty smoothly.

The status was "in transit" for awhile, and then it went backwards to "in port" and stuck. Concerned that it had never left Germany, I contacted my SA. It turns out that the car is in the Port of Baltimore being held for a recall. I dropped by to see my SA yesterday (after the M-Town event), and he walked me through his screen which shows that it is being held for a "center rear head restraint latching pin" recall. I googled my VIN, but I found no open recalls. When I googled the actual words, I found an Audi/VW recall by that name.

Anyone familiar with this recall impacting BMW? Possible they all use the same suppliers. Timeline for resolution? Seems like it is an inspection which one would think would clear quickly, unless they found a problem.

In advance, thanks!
It's def an Audi recall, guessing same supplier so now a bmw recall, no big deal tho other than your car being held, during the recall the center headrest is removed to check whether the sliding pin is there which most times it is, no major work
      08-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
It's def an Audi recall, guessing same supplier so now a bmw recall, no big deal tho other than your car being held, during the recall the center headrest is removed to check whether the sliding pin is there which most times it is, no major work
Thanks. Didn't seem like an issue. Just the delay is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I just called the BMW NA number and apparently mine is being held in Brunswick for the same recall. Hooray.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
kenya971
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. My vehicle arrived on the same date (probably on the same ship), but has no stated delivery date. Keeping my figures crossed for you as it will be a good omen for me.
Officially changing my disposition from hopeful to disappointed as my vehicle is still awaiting inspection. Hopefully by next weekend. Which sounds odd since the vehicle is like 20 minutes from me.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
Hilly330
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Officially changing my disposition from hopeful to disappointed as my vehicle is still awaiting inspection. Hopefully by next weekend. Which sounds odd since the vehicle is like 20 minutes from me.
Any positive news in the US regarding the recall for headrest?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
driesman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly330 View Post
No good news from me. Mine is still stuck "at the port". I am on travel so have no need to press the dealer. Though my lease runs out on Sept 5, so i am definitely hope they resolve things this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
kenya971
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly330 View Post
Nothing new for me either. Assuming I remember, I'm going to reach out to my CA tomorrow and see if he can press for a new time estimate. Not looking for anything concrete, but am I looking at a week or something approaching a month. Given that none of us know when they will be cleared, or know anyone that has been cleared, BMW could be doing a better job in setting expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
BMW could be doing a better job in setting expectations.
This... On several issues it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Ask dealer if there's a delivery Stop on this model. Their DCS system will include details of the issue and what the plan is to resolve.
      08-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #16
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Ask dealer if there's a delivery Stop on this model. Their DCS system will include details of the issue and what the plan is to resolve.
When I spoke to BMW NA a few days ago they said that there was a "stop sale" on my vehicle as a result of this recall. My CA hasn't been able to get any additional information, and I'm not convinced he has really tried. There may not be anything the dealership can do, but it's enough to just make me look elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      08-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusHoy View Post
Quote:
When I spoke to BMW NA a few days ago they said that there was a "stop sale" on my vehicle as a result of this recall. My CA hasn't been able to get any additional information, and I'm not convinced he has really tried. There may not be anything the dealership can do, but it's enough to just make me look elsewhere.
If a Delivery Step has been issued, there's details in DCS.
      08-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #18
Hilly330
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusHoy View Post
Quote:
If a Delivery Step has been issued, there's details in DCS.
Ok thanks I will call my sales rep. in The Netherlands as well and check for further details.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep

I called my dealership and had a couple of discussions with them. I'm very cynical of anything they tell me at this point, but according to the person I spoke with:
1. This is a nationwide issue and that there is a stop sell on all M340 models.
2. No ETA for parts/fix at this point.
3. They had no other resource to escalate to find out more information.

I called BMW NA again and spoke with a customer service representative. She said that she doesn't see that there is a recall, but is instead listed as a work order on my car. No ETA for completion for it, but she did escalate me to a case worker...who should contact me in 1-2 business days.

I let my dealership (and BMW NA) know that unless someone can get some additional information on this that I'm going to cancel and move to a competitor. I'm going to try to call the new car sales manager again tomorrow and may end up canceling and looking at a AMG C 43 or S5.

Has anyone else had any luck?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #20
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

That sucks, AtticusHoy. I think I may have missed this one by an inch or two. My car finished production last week, and arrived at the port on 8/9. According to BMWNA, this issue was known prior to my car's production, and should have been rectified prior to my car leaving the factory. I do not know where the break between fixed at port vs fixed at factory is, but maybe if others chime in it can be narrowed down?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #21
kenya971
Private
Rep

No luck for additional info thus far for me. CA didn't have any additional info as of yesterday but was supposed to re-check today (no word as yet). All he knew was that the required headrest part had to come from Germany.

Will likely re-push for an update on Friday (as in the past Thursday has been my CA's day off) and re-iterate my desire for a time frame.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #22
Dmejia91
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335 xdrive M Sport

My car was at the port, in transit, at the port currently. Has not updated on "TRACK MY BMW" to match the status when I call in to automated service. Honestly I might opt in to just get the m2. Order placed June 27
Attached Images

Appreciate 0