Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Can a conveyor belt car wash damage alignment?

10-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Can a conveyor belt car wash damage alignment?

Random question- I never even thought twice about this but I just got a car wash yesterday and i think it altered my alignment slightly. Of course it may totally be in my head b/c my new car's alignment was off from delivery so it's an issue that has been on my mind.

I took it to the dealer right after delivery to get it re-aligned so it may just have altered a bit on its own after 6,000 miles of hard driving and may have nothing to do with the car wash. Any ideas? Btw, it's the single conveyor type wash that pulls one wheel along.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
IMHO it should not put enough pressure to alter the alignment. I do not bring mine to any car washes. I don't even let the dealer wash it
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

How would the rollers change alignment?
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I don't think it will affect the alignment, but an automatic car wash can introduce swirl marks, and even scratches. The darker colors are most susceptible. Not everyone minds or readily notices, but it's something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I don't think it will affect the alignment, but an automatic car wash can introduce swirl marks, and even scratches. The darker colors are most susceptible. Not everyone minds or readily notices, but it's something to consider.
You have to do the touchless car wash. After you hand wash, clay bar, polish and seal your car... a weekly touchless car wash with minor spray detailer correction in hard to get places will keep the paint looking new for up to a full year (still need to hand wash wheels). The secret is to do it weekly so no dirt builds up and the sealant will do it’s job. If you want to keep that paint looking factory new indefinitely.... touchless spray wash it as many times as you possibly can and NEVER touch it. Even a very careful hand wash will introduce tiny micro swirls into the clear coat that will eventually accumulate over the course of multiple hand washes into a required machine polish.
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      10-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
i do foam cannon and 2 bucket method once a week so dirt does not build up. i have my car ceramic coated and refresh the coating every month or so.

incase you ask: Carpro CQuartz UK topped with CP gliss. can be done yourself if you are patient
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post

You have to do the touchless car wash. After you hand wash, clay bar, polish and seal your car... a weekly touchless car wash with minor spray detailer correction in hard to get places will keep the paint looking new for up to a full year (still need to hand wash wheels). The secret is to do it weekly so no dirt builds up and the sealant will do it's job. If you want to keep that paint looking factory new indefinitely.... touchless spray wash it as many times as you possibly can and NEVER touch it. Even a very careful hand wash will introduce tiny micro swirls into the clear coat that will eventually accumulate over the course of multiple hand washes into a required machine polish.
I doubt lots of people have time to wash that often (weekly) and intensive (fully by hand and all the mentioned preparations).

I'd love to care for my car in this way but I can't find the time and find other things more important. That being say I try to be careful and looking after it - removing stains (birds) when I see them and washing as gently as possible. However can't say I never went to a brush wash.

Back on topic: I doubt the belt is able to misalign the wheels. It goes slowly and not with a lot of force. Hitting curbs and potholes at speed is way more damaging I think.