Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Charging 330e with an extension lead? Consensus?

02-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
DevSK
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Charging 330e with an extension lead? Consensus?

Hi all,

As above, what's the general opinion when it comes to using an extension lead to charge your 330e via the granny charger?

Anyone already doing it that has their experience to share? If so, can you comment on what type of cable you're using and what length of cable run etc?

I've done some research into this and have gathered info from various other forums, i.e.:

- always fully unwind/unroll the lead
- ensure its IP rated for outdoor use
- ensure its atleast 13A rated
- single socket extension only
- ideally use a plug-in RCD device at the end the extension plugs into (home side)
- check for heating of the plug/cable
- check for loose pins / fuse
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I have been using a 20m version of this with the RCD plug option every night for over a month with no problems.
https://www.toughleads.co.uk/collect...rs-rcd-options
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSK View Post
Hi all,

As above, what's the general opinion when it comes to using an extension lead to charge your 330e via the granny charger?

Anyone already doing it that has their experience to share? If so, can you comment on what type of cable you're using and what length of cable run etc?

I've done some research into this and have gathered info from various other forums, i.e.:

- always fully unwind/unroll the lead
- ensure its IP rated for outdoor use
- ensure its atleast 13A rated
- single socket extension only
- ideally use a plug-in RCD device at the end the extension plugs into (home side)
- check for heating of the plug/cable
- check for loose pins / fuse
If you do all the steps you have listed there is no issue as long as all plug and socket connections are protected from the weather...

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
DevSK
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I have been using a 20m version of this with the RCD plug option every night for over a month with no problems.
Nice one, I've seen Toughleads recommended a couple of times across a few EV forums.

Do you feel confident leaving it 'switched on' even whilst the car isn't connected? i.e. when you're away at work etc?

It's nice to see that there's an option to fit a padlock, quite handy to protect from anyone accidentally messing around with it.

Last edited by DevSK; 02-16-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Yeah no problem at all. It’s a very good quality product.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
IFT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Hi all, I bought same cable but still not charging completely and gives me an error that power supple interrupted. Any suggestions or maybe set up missing on the car? Appreciate if you can assist. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFT View Post
Hi all, I bought same cable but still not charging completely and gives me an error that power supple interrupted. Any suggestions or maybe set up missing on the car? Appreciate if you can assist. Thanks.
Can you try charging the car without the extension cable? If so, does it charge fully or does it also get interrupted? If it charges, then the problem is likely in the cable; if it doesn't charge, then the problem is likely in the charger in the car or in a setting you have established.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
IFT
Registered
Rep

Thank you for the reply. I tried without the extension still same. The thing is when I took it to the maker garage they use their cable and all was good with no issues. So not sure what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I tried without the extension still same. The thing is when I took it to the maker garage they use their cable and all was good with no issues. So not sure what is happening.
The only thing I can think of is that your electrical supply is iffy.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

I use an extension, absolutely no issue, just watch out for the temperatures of the cable because cheap ones heat up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Quote:
Make sure your electic installation can handle a 10 A load (the maximum for the home charger). You can also set the car to charge more slowly (less Amps, all the way down to 6A).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
IFT
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
Make sure your electic installation can handle a 10 A load (the maximum for the home charger). You can also set the car to charge more slowly (less Amps, all the way down to 6A).
Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. Still have issues so need to investigate it. I have arrange for a proper charging point anyhow so hopefully should be ok.
Appreciate 0