Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Here's how the BMW Drive Recorder works

05-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Here's how the BMW Drive Recorder works

Sounds cool.

Description of BMW Drive Recorder:

The BMW Drive Recorder is another new addition to the options list. It can be ordered in conjunction with Parking Assistant Plus and will be available soon for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan, BMW 7 Series, BMW 8 Series, new BMW X5 and new BMW X7. The BMW Drive Recorder uses the cameras of the various driver assistance systems to record video footage from different points around the vehicle, before saving the recordings so they can be either watched later on the Control Display when the car is stationary or exported via the USB port.

Drivers can, therefore, shoot videos while driving through spectacular scenery, for example, or performing impressive maneuvers on the race track, and then send them to their mobile device and share them. Recordings can be up to 40 seconds in length, comprising the 20 seconds of video saved immediately prior to the Drive Recorder being activated and the next 20 seconds. The Drive Recorder can be started at any time from the iDrive menu. Another benefit of the system is that, in the event of a collision, the 20 seconds before the accident and the 20 seconds following it are automatically recorded and saved, so they can be referred back to in any subsequent reconstruction of the incident.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Is this available via software update or does it require new hardware? I have a car on order, should I wait for this? The G20 just came out not long ago, and it's already outdated if it does require new hardware.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Is this available via software update or does it require new hardware? I have a car on order, should I wait for this? The G20 just came out not long ago, and it's already outdated if it does require new hardware.
Same here ... Car is almost getting into production. Sounds like the hardware is there with parking assistant plus so I would expect it as software update. Somebody has more information about this?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I really hope it's just a software update otherwise I would totally go nuts, I was actually thinking why BMW didn't add this feature from the beginning since Tesla has same thing in their cars.
Appreciate 2
BigSky702687.00
Pauleebe379.50
      05-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
I really hope it's just a software update otherwise I would totally go nuts, I was actually thinking why BMW didn't add this feature from the beginning since Tesla has same thing in their cars.
Hopefully the hardware is in place. Maybe BMW needed more time to test the software? :

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
FunBim
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Sports mode

It looks like it has been available in 7 series ordering guide since early this year. It's an $200 option (6DR). Not sure if additional hardware is needed or it's just a software update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBim View Post
It looks like it has been available in 7 series ordering guide since early this year. It's an $200 option (6DR). Not sure if additional hardware is needed or it's just a software update.
Oh man now I feel nervous ordering my car if it's listed as option like this meaning additional hardware is required.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I tried to add 6DR to 7 series and it's not showing up in US site maybe not available there yet? Where did you get this ordering guide?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
FunBim
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Sports mode

Quote:
I tried to add 6DR to 7 series and it's not showing up in US site maybe not available there yet? Where did you get this ordering guide?
Please see attached.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please see attached.
Thanks

"SOP 07/19" under option price does that mean available in July? That's why I don't see this when I configure.

Hmm I'm afraid it's related to hardware change. Damn! What to do with my order?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This sounds like a pretty insignificant thing to go nuts about. A $200 dashcam will likely be far superior although it will require you to spend some time installing it. And it might be a bit of an eyesore. It will give you more than 20 seconds of recording time, though. And I wouldn't trust a system that will "automatically" record the previous and following 20 seconds of an accident.

I wish BMW would provide a real dashcam option so that you could just stick a USB flash drive in the cubby and record at least a few hours worth of dash cam footage in a loop like commercial dash cams.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
Same here ... Car is almost getting into production. Sounds like the hardware is there with parking assistant plus so I would expect it as software update. Somebody has more information about this?
Just a guess, but this will probably not be available as an update. It is very rare for a feature like this to be unlocked by a software update. They usually don't give you something you don't pay for. I could be wrong, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
sanch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

My 2019 330i has the parking assistant plus and a hard disk that (per the manual) can store 40,000 songs (so at 3 to 4MB per song, it should be a ~128GB hard disk). Plenty of space to store a 40sec video IMO. Seems like all the hardware is there.

I'd be really pissed if this needs more than a software patch, which I am happy to pay for.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Just a guess, but this will probably not be available as an update. It is very rare for a feature like this to be unlocked by a software update. They usually don't give you something you don't pay for. I could be wrong, though.
Didn't BMW in the past let you unlock a feature like Carplay with $300 with software unlock in certain year of F30? I don't think it's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Didn't BMW in the past let you unlock a feature like Carplay with $300 with software unlock in certain year of F30? I don't think it's impossible.
Yes. Features enabled by software updates aren't really new, so fingers crossed it's an easy "retrofit" via an update (and charge... or coding)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Doesn't seem to need any hardware, so should just be an FSC code.

Whether or not BMW will permit loading it onto cars produced before the official release of this option is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #17
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

Whether or not BMW will permit loading it onto cars produced before the official release of this option is a different matter.
Maybe it will be part of the Connected Drive App store

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Sounds like a cool idea that its BMW installed-integrated, though... how good it performs is subject, without seeing specs and where the videos of its features ? did BMW make a marketing video of this feature?.. Does anyone know the full specs and features of the video that is recorded?, ex: resolution 4K, 1440, 1080, 720,etc. Bits, FOV, zoom, can it read license plate numbers, how is performance in day and night, does it have WIFI, and how much memory is on the 'chip'? "sd" card, 'hard-drive' before it re-writes over itself? Does it continually record or only if its triggered in an accident, motion, or parking mode, Does it have a Parking Mode? I cant find specification details on they BMW recorder after searching for awhile... Do you think the BMW 6DR would be as good or better as a current good quality two channel 4k dash cam that's on the market?

Last edited by BMW11; 05-17-2019 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

First I'm hearing about this. Sounds cool and hope it's easily done. If not I'm not spending much effort or a dollar just for 40 seconds of video.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

If they throw it in for free then its fine, otherwise it sounds like a useless gimmick and in no way does it replace having a dedicated dashcam. I don't get why they limit it to 40 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

Maybe it will be part of the Connected Drive App store
My guess is hardware is involved. If it was software only, I suspect BMW would offer it as a subscription option through the connected drive store, like Carplay. At least for those who opt for the Park Assist+ Pkg.
      05-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Sounds like a cool idea that its BMW installed-integrated, though... how good it performs is subject, without seeing specs and where the videos of its features ? did BMW make a marketing video of this feature?.. Does anyone know the full specs and features of the video that is recorded?, ex: resolution 4K, 1440, 1080, 720,etc. Bits, FOV, zoom, can it read license plate numbers, how is performance in day and night, does it have WIFI, and how much memory is on the 'chip'? "sd" card, 'hard-drive' before it re-writes over itself? Does it continually record or only if its triggered in an accident, motion, or parking mode, Does it have a Parking Mode? I cant find specification details on they BMW recorder after searching for awhile... Do you think the BMW 6DR would be as good or better as a current good quality two channel 4k dash cam that's on the market?
I doubt it has a parking mode since the idrive system is involved. Not power efficient.

Think of this when comparing to other dash cams, the current surround view cameras are focused on the road and wouldn't see a person's face standing near the car. So, identifying someone in a parking mode situation might not be within this systems capability anyway. BMW would need to use camera positioning more like Tesla does for a decent parking mode experience.