Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Ceramic Coating vs. Clear Bra - which one?

10-18-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Ceramic Coating vs. Clear Bra - which one?

So my M340i will be arriving in the next 2 weeks and I wanted to get some type of protection done to it. The car is a lease, so doing a full body PPF isn't a cost effective option for me. I was looking at either doing a clear bra - front bumper and headlights - or a full body ceramic coating. They're both around the same price. I would love to do both, but would rather spend the money on mods. The car is a lease.

The only reason I wanted to get a clear bra is because on my previous cars, the paint would always get chipped on the front bumper and this time i'm getting Dravit Grey, which is nicer (and more expensive) than my previous Alpine White. So I didn't want any chips. Ceramic coating would make washing my car a lot easier and also protect my entire car against the elements.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG20 View Post
So my M340i will be arriving in the next 2 weeks and I wanted to get some type of protection done to it. The car is a lease, so doing a full body PPF isn't a cost effective option for me. I was looking at either doing a clear bra - front bumper and headlights - or a full body ceramic coating. They're both around the same price. I would love to do both, but would rather spend the money on mods. The car is a lease.

The only reason I wanted to get a clear bra is because on my previous cars, the paint would always get chipped on the front bumper and this time i'm getting Dravit Grey, which is nicer (and more expensive) than my previous Alpine White. So I didn't want any chips. Ceramic coating would make washing my car a lot easier and also protect my entire car against the elements.

Go for clear bra on hood, fenders and front bumper. I think the coatings are an expensive waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Actually you can do both. Clear bra and then ceramic all over. IMHO ceramic makes washing so much easier. It is not that expensive since most good ceramics last 2-3 years with proper maintenance
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG20 View Post

Go for clear bra on hood, fenders and front bumper. I think the coatings are an expensive waste of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Actually you can do both. Clear bra and then ceramic all over. IMHO ceramic makes washing so much easier. It is not that expensive since most good ceramics last 2-3 years with proper maintenance
Thanks for the replies! If i could, i would do both a front PPF and ceramic coat, but i dont feel like spending that much on that. Front clear bra (bumper and headlights) is around $750 and ceramic coating is also around $750, so im trying to choose either or.

Since the car is a lease, I would rather allocate funds towards mods and such.
      10-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Get the PPF and put a good coat of old fashioned wax / polish on afterwards of your choice.

If you are concerned about rock chips, ceramic coating is not going to help with that at all.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50